Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 02:16 PM

699 posts, read 369,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I feel, that more than anything, that this global warming/global climate change debate has taken more of a political turn and has been turned more into fearmongering leftist propaganda; even if the earth is in a warming cycle(which I think we are in one), I firmly believe that the ocean cycles and other factors than just mankinds pumping the atmosphere full of co2 and other greenhouse gases; the period of the early to mid 20th century also experienced a warming trend, did it not? As far as global warming is concerned, I seriously doubt that the amount of warming in the next century will be anything near what these climate models are predicting for the Northern Hemisphere or for the world as a whole, these climate models have already over estimated how much the climate was "supposed" to have warmed up to this point, with this being said, at least in my humble and honest opinion, I don't think that temperatures will increase more than 1 C over the next 50 years, and even that much warming over that timespan may be overestimated. These climate models used by these wacko leftist environmentalists, have overall already been a complete failure, and with more than 70 years remaining in this century, the more time that passes without a statistically measurable increase in global temperatures, I am sure that this whole global warming/climate change apocalypse will be a thing of the past and a failed fad to get people to fork over their taxpayers money for a phenomenon that we humans may never really understand, just my two cents and my humble opinion on this issue
Global warming is a massive scandal it seems, I'm only finding out recently before now I wasn't aware of the IPCC ''adjusting'' data to give us the false impression that the world is warmer than ever before.

The 1930s was the warmest decade in recent times.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...-of-the-1930s/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 03:41 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I feel, that more than anything, that this global warming/global climate change debate has taken more of a political turn and has been turned more into fearmongering leftist propaganda; even if the earth is in a warming cycle(which I think we are in one), I firmly believe that the ocean cycles and other factors than just mankinds pumping the atmosphere full of co2 and other greenhouse gases; the period of the early to mid 20th century also experienced a warming trend, did it not? As far as global warming is concerned, I seriously doubt that the amount of warming in the next century will be anything near what these climate models are predicting for the Northern Hemisphere or for the world as a whole, these climate models have already over estimated how much the climate was "supposed" to have warmed up to this point, with this being said, at least in my humble and honest opinion, I don't think that temperatures will increase more than 1 C over the next 50 years, and even that much warming over that timespan may be overestimated. These climate models used by these wacko leftist environmentalists, have overall already been a complete failure, and with more than 70 years remaining in this century, the more time that passes without a statistically measurable increase in global temperatures, I am sure that this whole global warming/climate change apocalypse will be a thing of the past and a failed fad to get people to fork over their taxpayers money for a phenomenon that we humans may never really understand, just my two cents and my humble opinion on this issue
Well said and totally agree with EVERYTHING you mentioned. Nice to have some responses like that.

Don't forget to mention that 1 or 2 regions of the globe will put us "over the top" and make the average look warmer for everyone.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:43 PM

I saw this tweet and had to check something .........

Yup... Record warm for Southeast only because of 3 months out of the 6. January, February & April put the East "over the top", otherwise would be normal or even below for some. Cold Northeast in March.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Well said and totally agree with EVERYTHING you mentioned. Nice to have some responses like that.

Don't forget to mention that 1 or 2 regions of the globe will put us "over the top" and make the average look warmer for everyone.
What do you mean by this?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
What do you mean by this?
Count the regions which show the big departures... Just saw this tweet too. LMAO. Nice headline. lol

No scale but you can see the biggest anomalies....count... 1....2....3....4.....5 spots which drove the global temp much higher than majority of the globe. Would of been normal or slightly above normal if you eliminate those few spots.

Surprised the Oceans aren't that warm anymore.

This goes down to a local scale too. An entire month can be below normal or normal but 3-6 days of well above normal heat and you'll end up with above normal temp average for the month. #Deceptions

Just saw Southern Australia there where they've gotten cold and snow recently. Nice to see them get into the action. I heard its been a while for them. I believe this is showing January - June Anomaly.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Count the regions which show the big departures... Just saw this tweet too. LMAO. Nice headline. lol

No scale but you can see the biggest anomalies....count... 1....2....3....4.....5 spots which drove the global temp much higher than majority of the globe. Would of been normal or slightly above normal if you eliminate those few spots.

Surprised the Oceans aren't that warm anymore.

This goes down to a local scale too. An entire month can be below normal or normal but 3-6 days of well above normal heat and you'll end up with above normal temp average for the month. #Deceptions

Just saw Southern Australia there where they've gotten cold and snow recently. Nice to see them get into the action. I heard its been a while for them. I believe this is showing January - June Anomaly.
Oh yes that's true.

Do you think during years/months/decades where temperatures have gone from one extreme to another collecting temperature averages is pointless? But its about trends but even those trends can hide the complexity of climate.

The whole idea of climate that is packaged to the general public is to simple I believe.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:03 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,971,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
a)0.11 +/- 0.16 means actual number could be anywhere from -0.04 to +0.27. So the actual number could be negative.

b)What is 1/3 in decimals? It is not 0.3333.... Significant figures? If it's a counting measurement, it could be 0/3, 1/3 or 2/3-- no other possibilities. A decimal fraction is meaningless. The datum should be reported as 1/3 +/- 1/3. Those who wanted their results to seem more important would cheat and report the decimal.
Right. 20 years is too short to get a good trend measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

Are we to blame for global warming or climate change? I can't say entirely. If we're to be culpable, then you can might as well blame us for the Ice age too, no?
That's not how that works. By your reasoning if cancer can kill people then if you see a dead person you can infer that cancer killed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Depends what time scale we are talking about though.

We had warming during the early 20th century that seemed to have a similar trend rate as today and that was at a time when industrial emissions were basically insignificant. Then immediately after post WWII years when industrial output boomed, temps flattened out , even decreased slightly for 30 years... Now they are rising again.
The sun was getting brighter then. It's not anymore. Also, post WWII we were producing a lot of planet cooling aerosols, which partly countered the planet warming greenhouse gases.

Quote:
I was watching a video on YouTube of a climate scientist who was debunking the mainstream media's propaganda about man-made climate change.

He stated that temperature causes the increase in Carbon dioxide and not the other way round. He puts more importance on the sun and the cycles our closest star goes through. He says the link between Co2 and climate change is ridiculous which from doing research and having rational thought I agree. How can 0.04% of the atmosphere affect the climate so much not to mention Humans input in that is much less. It would make much more sense if the Sun had more of an affect on our climate.

During solar minimum (like the one we are entering) temperature on Earth drops and during solar maximum the average temperature on Earth increases.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/06/...er-way-around/
Just because something is at low concentrations doesn't mean it's harmless. If you ingest enough ricin such that it is 0.04% of your body mass, you die.
As for temperature driving CO2, that is possible in the short term, but glacial/interglacial ice age temperature changes were far greater and saw a more limited amount of CO2 change, so that cannot be the full story. See here: https://www.newscientist.com/article...lobal-warming/. Ever since scientists have been able to calculate the theoretical temperature of Earth given solar intensity and albedo, back in the 1800s, they found it should be around 0F instead of 60F. The greenhouse effect is well known physics over a century old; here's a picture I took from a geology textbook written in the first decade of the 20th century (I found it at my university's library).

Quote:
Global Warming certainly is man-made--particularly by NASA, NOAA & Met:
according to a study

Summary: a statistician & two climate researchers conclude almost all warming of recent history can be accounted for by the "adjustments" made by these three major reporting bodies to the actual thermometer readings.
I'm all for better climate recording stations. But it seems ironic that the political party in the U.S. that is most skeptical of climate change is also most willing to cut research funding, as more data would help us all gain a better understanding of the climate.
Quote:
Global warming is a massive scandal it seems, I'm only finding out recently before now I wasn't aware of the IPCC ''adjusting'' data to give us the false impression that the world is warmer than ever before.

The 1930s was the warmest decade in recent times.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...-of-the-1930s/
That looks to me a lot like cherry picking. One weather station was warmer in two heat waves in the 1930s compared to another heat wave in the 2010s. Most of the Southeastern U.S. had a string of extremely hot summers from 2010-12, but that doesn't prove global warming any more than your post disproves it.

Quote:

But if you take out the five coldest spots you get even more warming. You can't just remove one part of the data because it leads to a conclusion you don't like.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:22 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
\
The sun was getting brighter then. It's not anymore.
Not the sun. More likely the oceans.

Quote:
The observed global warming of the past century occurred*primarily in two distinct 20 year periods, from 1925 to 1944 and from*1978 to the present. While the latter warming is often attributed to*a human-induced increase of greenhouse gases, causes of the earlier*warming are less clear since this period precedes the time of*strongest increases in human-induced greenhouse gas (radiative)*forcing. Results from a set of six integrations of a coupled*ocean-atmosphere climate model suggest that the warming of the*early 20th century could have resulted from a combination of*human-induced radiative forcing and an unusually large realization*of internal multidecadal variability of the coupled ocean-atmosphere*system.
https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/early-20th...lobal-warming/

Quote:
Also, post WWII we were producing a lot of planet cooling aerosols, which partly countered the planet warming greenhouse gases.

Maybe. Or maybe not. Likely the oceans again.

Quote:
Ocean cooling contributed to mid-20th century global warming hiatus
Quote:
he hiatus of global warming in the Northern Hemisphere during the mid-20th century may have been due to an abrupt cooling event centered over the North Atlantic around 1970, rather than the cooling effects of tropospheric pollution.
Quote:
The suddenness of the drop in Northern Hemisphere ocean temperatures relative to the Southern Hemisphere is difficult to reconcile with the relatively slow buildup of tropospheric aerosols," Thompson said.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0922132002.htm

Old 07-08-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
But if you take out the five coldest spots you get even more warming..

And if you take away the few extreme cold and hot spots you get what? Normal? Slightly above? Not record? lol. Light blue is like counting the oranges. Just use the deepest anomalies.

Looks like the cold spots on that map are not on land and mostly confined to Antarctica.

But to make the point again, those few hot spots are putting us "over the top". Especially land data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Not the sun. More likely the oceans.
The sun has say for sure. Just a simple point, the Earth is habitable because of its position from "the sun". Further away too cold, closer too hot. So what the sun does has say in our climate. If it's dimming and quiet without solar flares than Earth will feel the effects. Just like it was peaking and active and we had our warming trend. There is a lag time of course.

Quote:
Do you think during years/months/decades where temperatures have gone from one extreme to another collecting temperature averages is pointless? But its about trends but even those trends can hide the complexity of climate..
Great question actually! Not pointless obviously its part of our weather and climate but I bet you its contributed to the increased up trend. Take away those extreme months and yrs and I bet you we're just normal maybe slightly above?

Albany, NY hottest 15 yrs on record. Take away JUST 2012, 2016, 2006 & 2010 and the trend wouldn't be rising as much. Just 4 of Top 15 yrs. Hmm, could add 1998 in there too. 5. Those 5 extreme years might be deceiving the trend. I bet we'd be flat lined maybe slightly up since the 1930s?

Old 07-08-2017, 02:35 PM

105 posts, read 129,949 times
Quote:
Global Warming certainly is man-made--particularly by NASA, NOAA & Met:
according to a study

Summary: a statistician & two climate researchers conclude almost all warming of recent history can be accounted for by the "adjustments" made by these three major reporting bodies to the actual thermometer readings.
Interesting. Has it been through peer review? If so, please provide the name of the publication. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather