Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times

Advertisements

I haven't found one for this yet, and it came across my head earlier, just what would Europe's climate be like if it was shifted 15 degrees south?

Africa would also be shifted 15 degrees south to accommodate this, but Asia and Russia would stay at their latitude, meaning that western Russia and Moscow would be much milder with prevailing westerlies and being much closer to the new created Atlantic.

The new latitudes of some cities:

Sundsvall, Sweden: 47N
Helsinki, Finland: 45N
Oslo, Norway: 44.5N
Riga, Latvia: 41N
Edinburgh, Scotland: 40N
Amsterdam, Netherlands: 37N
Berlin, Germany: 37N
London, United Kingdom: 36N
Prague, Czech Republic: 35N
Paris, France: 33.5N
Donetsk, Ukraine: 33N
Zurich, Switzerland: 32N
Budapest, Hungary: 32N
Milan, Italy: 30N
Bucharest, Romania: 29.5N
Nice, France: 28N
Bilbao, Spain: 28N
Rome, Italy: 26.5N
Barcelona, Spain: 26N
Madrid, Spain: 25N
Lisbon, Portugal: 23.5N
Ibiza, Spain: 23.5N
Palermo, Italy: 23N
Athens, Greece: 22.5N
Malaga, Spain: 21.5N
Heraklion, Greece: 20N

It would seem to me that firstly, Russia and Asia would benefit from milder winters towards the newly created west coast. Northern Europe where Scandinavia would be newly placed would have a temperate climate similar to current day southern UK/northern France. From 40N downwards the climate would be Mediterranean , meaning that London would be warm year round with a similar climate to current day Malaga. Central Europe would be a desert, while southern Europe would be borderline tropical..

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
It would just be like the tropics.

I think I would have a warmer azores style climate.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:39 AM

Yeah, you would be at about 40N, and the first country exposed to the Atlantic. Your SSTs would be warmer, about 22C in Summer and maybe 13-14C in Winter. Your summers would probably be quite nice, about 24/16 range and your winters would be very mild, maybe 14/7 in January.

It wouldn't be good for snow lovers that's for sure!

Old 12-23-2013, 09:23 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,042,541 times
Northern Germany would probably have a mediterranean like climate, my hometown would be at 38° North then, i assume a quite dry and warm to hot summer, because moisture would be blocked by the British Isles so we would see hardly any rain in the summer (i guess).

As for the winters we have a north facing coast, so i think we would receive the winter rain type of the North African coast here, but most probably with very few cold spells and a snowcover would become probably a once in a lifetime event.

Edit: On a second thought considering that most of Central Europe would be about 30° North and then in the area of the subtropical high ridge, is quite possible that our summers would be probably very dry like on the North African coast. Highs could be 30-32°C and lows about 20-22°C.

Not sure about winter temperatures maybe something like 18°C/8°C.

Sea temperatures about 15°C in the winter months and 27°C in the summer, so the North Sea would probably become the present mediterranean sea holiday-wise.

Last edited by The East Frisian; 12-23-2013 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Added water temperatures

Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Europe would definitely have a much better range of climates than it does now.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:56 AM

I would love this new climate, that's for sure! If anyone who is good at editing maps to show how the transformation would look, that would be very helpful!!

Western UK would be similar to Portugal presently, with the west coast of Scotland being slightly cooler, maybe more like present day Bordeaux. Ireland would act as a slight block to the atlantic, although summers would most likely be warm and sunny everywhere. London in the south east at 36N would be probably hot in summer, similar to Malaga. About 32/20 in summer and 17/8 in Winter.

Germany and France is an interesting theory. The north of France and Germany would probably be a mediteranean climate, much like the southern coast of the UK, similar to northern Morocco or southern Spain currently. Summers 32/20 and winters 18/8.

As you go south, i'm pretty sure that from Paris stretching across to Munich, Budapest and Kiev, it would be a desert at 32N. Pretty similar to Cairo presently, in summer temperatures would be about 38/20 and winters about 20/10.

The current northern Meditteranean region from Valencia - Barcelona - Nice - Naples - northern Greece would probably be hot and dry all year round, being sheltered from the Atlantic and its southerly latitude located close to the newly created desert in central Europe would make it very sticky in summer and equally warm in winter. The mediteranean sea would be warmer all year round and would keep most of its heat, being further south.
Valencia and Barcelona at 25-27N would see summers about 38/25 and winters 30/22.

The southern Mediterranean in Europe - Malaga, Palermo, Herikalion, Cyprus, Tunis and northern Africa would probably be similar to the Caribbean. Cooler summers than further north, but wetter and more humid. Tropical lows would maybe affect the southern regions from about 20N. Summers and winters pretty similar, about 32/22.

The west coast of Spain, France and Portugal from 22N - 34N would be slightly cooler being the first in line of the Atlantic. The northernmost region - Brittany at 34N would be similar to Casablanca, with hot, dry summers and warm, wet winters. 34/20 in summer and 18/12 in winter. Furher south down from Bordeaux and it would be dryer in winters, reaching Portugal it would be warm all year round, at about 31/22 but wetter.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:57 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,503,304 times
A climate like this: Biskra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?
No thanks, I would dislike June to September.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orai View Post
A climate like this: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biskra#Climate"]Biskra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL] ?
No thanks, I would dislike June to September.
Germany away from the coast would be a desert, May-September would definitely be very unpleasant. Places like London would probably be capable of severe heatwaves reaching 50C seeing as desert would be only about 250-300 miles away. Any change in wind direction would bring extreme temperatures.

It is also interesting, northeast Europe would still be susceptible to cold winters from time to time when winds blow from the east/north east, but most of Europe would have warm winters.

It would be a unique climate though, unlike any other in the world currently. From temperate to mediterranean to desert all in the range of about 500 miles

Old 12-23-2013, 12:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Malta would be a tropical island

Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM

Iceland would also probably have a climate similar to the Scilly Isles today, although probably wetter and cloudier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather