Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 04:38 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Love all the snow tonight. Actually looking forward to shovelling it. What's nice about MN is there's enough sunny winter days that we aren't slaves to the shovels.

Nice! Looks like Minneapolis got 3" yesterday bringing their season total to almost 3 feet. Sorry I haven't been active in the Minnesota weather thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
By the way, today I gave in and turned the air conditioner on for the first time since November 7. I look forward to turning it back off by the end of the month, and hopefully keeping it off for a couple more weeks.
We went from A/C to heat in 24hrs here. lol. 34° right now. Just wish it wasn't so cloudy and rainy.
So I guess the cooler air is making it down there next week? I haven't really been following closely but I know the pattern is changing to a cooler one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Wow, I just saw where Jackson, MS had highs of 85F, 87F, and 86F the past three days!

Slightly better here in Alexandria this week.

Crazy. Last yr Jackson had 8 days 80+ in February. A record. So far 4 this year. 1932 had 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
One of my more surreal weather experiences as a child was the morning of October 24, 1988. Just before 6AM, I was suddenly awakened by some of the loudest thunder I'd ever heard in my life. I'm not talking about loud, long rumbles of thunder, but rather, explosive blasts of thunder. It was actually very scary, especially since I wasn't expecting it. I found out on the morning news shortly thereafter that Allegheny County was under a severe thunderstorm warning. Oddly, the temperature outside was just above freezing, and a mixture of rain, sleet and snow was falling during the storm. When I opened my bedroom window to get a better view outside, I could see my breath condensing in the cold air. Later on, around sunrise, the wintry mix briefly changed over to snow, and left a dusting on the ground just in time for me to go to school. Weird morning.

Another one of my more surreal weather experiences as a child was March 7-13, 1995. On March 7, the high temperature in Pittsburgh was 73°F, and a winter storm watch was in effect. It was later upgraded to a winter storm warning, and the temperature on March 8 plummeted from 65°F just after midnight to 19°F just before midnight March 9. Pittsburgh received 6" of snow that day, and the temperature didn't go back above freezing until the afternoon of March 10. In fact, the morning low temperature on March 10 was 8°F. Even crazier is that the high temperature on March 13 was 76°F, which was tied for the warmest temperature in Pittsburgh that month.

I don't know how people do that. Remember dates and details of the past. Good stuff. I enjoyed reading that. Thanks! Thunder with snow or ice is a special moment. You sure it was Oct 24, 1988? Checking the maps looks like a huge Upper Low over the Great Lakes but nothing that would support snow down south..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 04:42 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
34/26 here (coldest high and low this season), 32/13 in Olympia and 40/32 in Portland.

Updated ........ Seattle still hasn't had an above normal max temp since Feb 8th.. 14 days in a row.

And last 5 days the max was 11+ below normal.

The 26° low was a record yesterday for the date. Two 26°(-3C) lows in a row.

I didn't know they got 1" of snow (record for the date) 2 days ago. Maybe I missed your post. Sorry.

Interesting pattern for you guys. Hope you get well above normal soon cause you know what that usually means here.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:53 AM
SFX

1,637 posts, read 893,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I don't know of any records being shattered in my area.
Quote:
On the 18th, Melbourne, FL (1938–2018) and Fort Pierce,
FL (1901–2018) ended their longest streak of 1,459 consecutive days (i.e., about 4 years)
with a minimum temperature above 32 degrees F, after recording a minimum temperature
of 30 degrees F (-1.1 degrees C) and 32 degrees F, respectively. Tampa, FL (1891–2018)
ended its second longest streak of 2,561 consecutive days (i.e., about 7 years) with a
minimum temperature above 32 degrees F, after recording a minimum temperature of 29
degrees F (-1.7 degrees C) on the 18th. Four water theme parks in the Orlando, FL area,
including Walt Disney World’s Blizzard Beach and SeaWorld’s Aquatica, were forced to
close during these two cold periods in early-to-middle January.
http://www.sercc.com/SoutheastRegion...anuary2018.pdf

Old 02-23-2018, 08:03 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
We had our first crocus here in SE Pa on Wednesday. The warm weather coaxed two yellow crocus on the front lawn. No snow drops in the main garden, I think the snow and colder weather set them back.
80 degrees on Wednesday, this morning it was raining and 36. Lots of rain this week washed away the snow from Saturday.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Bit long...Couple of maps and thoughts. Let me know what you think...

First...Look how far south the -10C got Jan 1st, 2018.

Current 850mb Temps..

For the West, The Rockies block the 5000' level cold air trying to push south from Canada. That's why it's hard for the West coast to get -10C. But it looks like the -10C air has made it west of the Rockies down to Eastern Oregon.. This could be mixing down from 10,000 feet as well I'll show below..

While -10C is nothing for us Easterners it's actually on the extreme cold side for Westerners because it's a hard setup to happen.

So even a -5C airmass impressive over central California which happened this morning! Normal is +5C this time of yr.

The arrows are the winds at that level (5000'). Notice they are all over the place just west of the mountains. If there were no Rockies all that -15C air would pour south easier and reach the coast easier.

And with the current trough this deep and the left axis is over the Pacific, you have the winds coming south over the Pacific Hence why it's below freezing down to Baja, CA at 5000'

Its snowing over coastal Washington and Oregon during the day at the surface down to sea level..

Here's the current temps at 10,000 feet. Some of this Arctic air is mixing down so it's helping further cool things west of the Rockies.
It's interesting that troughs in the West almost always seem to be later in the season.

I tell people that seasons out West are delayed one season.

Summer in CA = Spring elsewhere
Fall in CA = Summer elsewhere
Winter in CA = Fall elsewhere
Spring in CA = Winter elsewhere

I remember the coldest weather we used to have was early March in California. Of course it never gets as cold as back East but it does get cold. SF and LA are having the coldest weather of the season now after a very mild winter. SF is in mid 50's and LA in lower 60's. That's cold for there as SF was in the 60's/70's in winter and LA in 70's/80's most of the winter.

The East Coast suffered quite a bit this summer so glad they can get in on a nice warm up.

I'm in Texas in the middle of this BS and the cold and warm fronts keep going back and forth. 70 and humid one day and then 40 and downpours the next as the front makes it through and there is still warm air overrunning the cold air. Then 60's/70's and humid again. In the meantime, a 100 miles East it's near 80 as it's on the south side of the front. Usually the fronts have gradiants by latitude down here, now it's by longitude.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Highest temp in history for me from the period Nov 8th to March 23rd. 78° F which is +40°F.... warmest winter day, ugh. It's putting a damper on the rest of the winter for me.

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh International Airport
I remember from my CMU days a nasty winter of -28 that was followed by 70's in February. I was jogging around on a 72 degree day with snow piles quickly melting. It was so nice to finally get some warm weather.

That's the thing with the East. If you have extreme cold, it has to be made up with extreme heat. That's the way averages work.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
We tore the record book up today in Tampa with a 89. And that is a allllllllllllll time high temp for the winter ever.
Beach weather! I bet the beaches are packed!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:07 AM

Looks like the nasty cold and dry air in California is finally giving way to some storms starting next week. First SF and then LA in on the action. They really need to cash in on some storms in March as February was lackluster. January, however, was quite rainy.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I can learn to appreciate the high 60-mid 70 degree F weather breaks in Feb.
It does make me wonder what kind of weather we’ll be getting on down the road.. triple digits and more chances of tornado activity? Hope not.

Brrr, it’s chilly out west and would not want to be in Great Falls (-9). Do hope it warms up for you all soon.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1519404067
Attached Thumbnails
Winter Thread 2017-18 (Northern Hemisphere)-6b4a09eb-e514-4bb9-9154-4ca35a03306b.jpeg  

Old 02-23-2018, 10:59 AM
SFX

1,637 posts, read 893,185 times
Will J-F-M be colder or warmer this year?

The 30 year trend says maybe.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather