Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 06:32 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,746,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Very true, BUT the SoCal coast is MASSIVELY EXPENSIVE. Also, while summer daytime highs may average 70-75 degrees at the beach, it gets progressively hotter as you drive inland. San Fernando Valley and the Inland Empire are MUCH hotter than the beach areas. How much hotter? At least 20 degrees hotter.

For more affordable real estate in SoCal, you'll most likely be searching inland locations with brutal summers. Even at my place in Rancho Bernardo, a mere 15 miles from the coast, the temps have exceeded 90 degrees too many times to count already this summer (for the record, we have had more brutal summers before.) And it's not a dry heat. We've seen 90+ degree temps combined with 70+ degree dewpoints. I don't know about you, but I use air conditioning everyday at my house and in my car in Rancho Bernardo. And real estate is still $500/square foot here!

San Bernardino average temps (well in the 90s all summer long):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Be...fornia#Climate
I live in Northern France, I don't need to have air conditioning.
But It's very true that the more you go further inland, the more temperature increase in CA, the climate is even totally different between San Bernardino and San Diego. It's also true that dewpoint can be high too (Ocean moisture, Southwest monsoon season influence or something else ?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 07:12 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
I'm at 3,000 feet with a freshwater lake right below me. Days are above 80F but right NOW at 7 a.m. I'm below 50F. If I want cooler the next town and the ranch are at 4,000 feet.

What would the world be like if we all wanted to live in the same spot? Oh, the coastal area of California. Just bring money.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:27 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
NYC is pretty livable w/o AC, as long as you're not overweight or overly sensitive to heat. I just use a fan since my building has no AC.

Austin...no.
I lived in nyc for 12 years. Can’t imagine living there without AC and I’m not overweight.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:37 AM

213 posts, read 175,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Anywhere along coastal Washington and Oregon. Bellingham, Wa as well.
Even further south Eureka, CA has a cold summer for its latitude, even with a cool current is very cool.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:33 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
I don't believe there is such thing in continental U.S., not even in most of the inhabitated Alaska, apart from the northern shore.....
Very few, if any?, Alaskans have AC, or feel a need for it.

Northern shores are quite cool year 'round with practically no one living there.

Southern shores are much warmer in the winter, but cooler in the summer, than interior Alaska. We're "lucky" to see two days a year reach 80 degrees.

Of course it's realized that many folks in SE Asia don't have AC, right? Many Americans would consider just about every one of their days "intolerable" without AC.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:47 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
p.s. They also keep their hotels super hot in the winter in Europe so I only stay in hotels that allow open windows in the winter when I'm in Europe.
I've noticed being able to keep it toasty in Europe in winter is a point of pride.

When I worked in Austria... my co-workers proudly showed off all the different ways they have to keep warm...

Often it was a combination boiler system for radiant heat... fired by wood, heating oil, natural gas and some had elaborate pellet systems and all had traditional Kachel Offens...

One explained it is nice to have options... if the price of heating oil drops... he buys, if he has access to wood it will be wood.

Austrians are so concerned about keeping warm... tripple glass windows and a state mandate that all new homes have a chimney suitable for wood burning in place... even if concealed in the wall... just for future use.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,395,120 times
San Francisco - comfortable all year without any notion of a/c. If you wear several warm layers on colder days, you may not need any heating either (I have a large flat electrical heating board with fan in my SF condo, but have never turned it on in 10 years!).

Old 08-19-2018, 10:16 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Oh yes, unaffordable SoCal where I grew up. One sister still lives in Encinitas, near San Diego and doesn't have A/C. No one there does. They suffer a week or so in the summer during a rare heat wave. No heat either. But yes, just a few miles inland and it's a whole other story.

No locals here have A/C but all us wimpy expats do. Right now it's 75 day and night and we always have an ocean breeze. But I like it cooler to sleep so put the A/C at 69 at night (19C). Soon it will heat up to 85 day and night and I wonder how the locals do it, but they are adapted. We are coastal Ecuador.

Agree about Italy. We were there in May and needed A/C and the hotels were very stingy about it. You had to ask each time. Couldn't imagine summer there!

Old 08-19-2018, 10:29 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
As we lose cities that don't need AC, we'll be gaining cities that don't need heat, it's all good. I prefer global warming to global cooling, the next ice age really has me freaked
Everyone forgets that it's much easier(relatively) to deal with heat than is is to deal with a kilometer thick sheet of ice covering your city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've noticed being able to keep it toasty in Europe in winter is a point of pride.

When I worked in Austria... my co-workers proudly showed off all the different ways they have to keep warm...

Often it was a combination boiler system for radiant heat... fired by wood, heating oil, natural gas and some had elaborate pellet systems and all had traditional Kachel Offens...

One explained it is nice to have options... if the price of heating oil drops... he buys, if he has access to wood it will be wood.

Austrians are so concerned about keeping warm... tripple glass windows and a state mandate that all new homes have a chimney suitable for wood burning in place... even if concealed in the wall... just for future use.
Wood burning will go away at some point, as it's very CO2 intensive.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:40 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Wood burning will go away at some point, as it's very CO2 intensive.
If wood rots in the forest isn't the same amount of CO2 released?

Europeans are in most countries are proud of their going green.

The wood fired boilers all meet the ultra low emission and the traditional Kachel Offen or Russian Oven or Masonry Air Tight Stove are also supper efficient... both in combustion and thermal mass.

The quality of the wood is even more important... you will be fined if caught burning trash or wood not properly seasoned... and it seemed all the locals had their wood supply lined up years in advance... probably not something most would do back here in California.

I would have to laugh when I had friends visit from California... we would be out all day seeing the sights and then come home to a cold house... first thing is where is the thermostat?

Told them the seasoned wood had to be loaded and the oven fired... in about 3 hours the heat will be flowing... they simply couldn't understand the concept.

Now... if some one is home, one firing would provide heat for 24 hours... if temps were in the teens and lower than two firings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather