Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 03:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 2,732,194 times

Advertisements

Marathon, Ontario, Canada

It is located on the north shore of Lake Superior, the most northerly and coldest great lake. When hot and humid weather comes up from the south it has to cross chilly Lake Superior so when it gets to Marathon it is quite cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 07:21 PM

10,591 posts, read 7,816,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post

After around 3 hours of going up I had to turn back, as I was completely wet. I definitely need some kind of "breathable" clothing/wicker/whatever it's called..
Yes, since you perspire heavily, cotton is no good.

Dunno, yours sounds like an unusual case. If you're in good physical condition and not overweight, perhaps the only comfort to be found would be with a move to some place such as Utqiagvik (Barrow).

Old 08-25-2018, 10:50 PM

575 posts, read 340,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Yes, since you perspire heavily, cotton is no good.

Dunno, yours sounds like an unusual case. If you're in good physical condition and not overweight, perhaps the only comfort to be found would be with a move to some place such as Utqiagvik (Barrow).
I lost some 30 pounds last month, so that should help with sweating considerably during those hikes.

I will also make sure next time I spend couple days in gym to make sure I can spend 2.5 hrs on elliptical at max.resistance. I didn't do that last time, and I think I lost more endurance in previous few months of no gym than I originally thought...

Barrow sure sounds good for summer, temperature-wise:
- around 45 during day and 32 at night - very, very pleasant - basically ideal temperature range, just right
- their heat-wave is 65 - that's awesome, the other places in Alaska reached 75-85 for heatwave

So, one wouldn't need A/C in Barrow, indeed

Winters are surprisingly warm - I would have expected same as Prudhoe Bay, but no, it looks much warmer - roughly same as my village in Montana. Perhaps there's a different sea current nearby that heats up the place ?

But, the 24 hrs sun for 90 days - got any ideas how to tackle that ? Even in Montana, it sucked: At 10.15 pm it's still not completely dark, but at 3.30 am it's not completely dark anymore either. I can't say how many times, during summer, I completely missed the dark for walks, even though I'm up whole night,as it's so short. But up there ? No such thing...

Even though, it's really warm there - around 40'F, I wouldn't be able to wear t-shirt, as I'd burn skin instantly - I'd have to cover myself completely, from ears to toes, 4x a day while walking my Husky...

But, thank you. I just learnt something new because previously I didn't consider, as obvious as that fact is, that northern AK has midnight sun. So that plan, for next year's summer is now off the table.

I think I should consider a bunker

Old 08-28-2018, 06:28 AM

245 posts, read 143,357 times
Quote:
I lost some 30 pounds last month, so that should help with sweating considerably during those hikes.

I will also make sure next time I spend couple days in gym to make sure I can spend 2.5 hrs on elliptical at max.resistance. I didn't do that last time, and I think I lost more endurance in previous few months of no gym than I originally thought...

- around 45 during day and 32 at night - very, very pleasant - basically ideal temperature range, just right
- their heat-wave is 65 - that's awesome, the other places in Alaska reached 75-85 for heatwave

So, one wouldn't need A/C in Barrow, indeed

Winters are surprisingly warm - I would have expected same as Prudhoe Bay, but no, it looks much warmer - roughly same as my village in Montana. Perhaps there's a different sea current nearby that heats up the place ?

But, the 24 hrs sun for 90 days - got any ideas how to tackle that ? Even in Montana, it sucked: At 10.15 pm it's still not completely dark, but at 3.30 am it's not completely dark anymore either. I can't say how many times, during summer, I completely missed the dark for walks, even though I'm up whole night,as it's so short. But up there ? No such thing...

Even though, it's really warm there - around 40'F, I wouldn't be able to wear t-shirt, as I'd burn skin instantly - I'd have to cover myself completely, from ears to toes, 4x a day while walking my Husky...

But, thank you. I just learnt something new because previously I didn't consider, as obvious as that fact is, that northern AK has midnight sun. So that plan, for next year's summer is now off the table.

I think I should consider a bunker
It's easy to get used to. Here it is fully dark at 1044pm and lasts till 3.38am. I always knew This, so I just went out at dark. And midnight sun would not be bad either. Since those countries are cool anyway and you can't really see the sun at 2am, it is kinda dark so you should be fine.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:59 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,307,655 times
Quote:

- their heat-wave is 65 - that's awesome

looks like a random January where I live

Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,468,125 times
Ideal summer weather in the US would be somewhere around here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma,_Colorado#Climate

Old 08-28-2018, 10:08 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,993,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
NYC is pretty livable w/o AC, as long as you're not overweight or overly sensitive to heat. I just use a fan since my building has no AC.
You gotta be kidding me.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:47 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,468,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
You gotta be kidding me.

The point is, hundreds of thousands of people live here without AC (not just me), and therefore it logically follows that NYC is indeed livable without AC.

Comfortably so? Well that depends on the person. For most, no.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:31 PM

795 posts, read 741,292 times
Patagonia. Summers here are what pretty much every major city in the world would call either autumn or spring.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:56 AM

10,591 posts, read 7,816,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Ideal summer weather in the US would be somewhere around here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alma,_Colorado#Climate
Sunny, cool and not too dry. Sounds good, except at 10,000 ft. not enough oxygen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather