Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times

Advertisements

My favourite time of year is coming up; mid-fall through earlywinter. October, November and December. I love these months for many reasons. The weather, the leaves changing and falling, the first snow and frosts but ALSO the holidays.

I love the holiday season. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are the best. It's great that they're about evenly spread apart. I love everything they offer. From costumes, scary movies, handing out candy, carving pumpkins in Halloween to all the food and familial closeness of Thanksgiving, to decorating for Christmas, buying presents (holiday shopping isnt stressful for me... it's very fun) baking cookies, setting up the tree, going sledding and ice skating, having hot coco and opening presents on Christmas morning. And listening to Christmas music. (Not before Black Friday tho!) I just love the final 3 months.

I think my preference for cold weather has a lot to do with that. Though not only. I mean I still like January and February as well and I love the feeling of cold and cold weather in general, granted it's in the appropriate season.

I notice a lot of people who are drawn to perpetually warm climates arent big on the holidays. They may not hate them, but they are seen as an annual event that comes and goes where as to me it's a big excitement and a season I look forward to. Note this doesnt mean that those who love the holidays prefer the cold but it seems that they tolerate it better than those who dont care for them. Case in point; my friend's mom who LOVES Christmas, and doesnt mind the occasional snowfall and mildly cold weather but wouldnt be able to handle a northern winter.

Curious to know what y'all think. And before I get comments like "well lots of tropical countries celebrate Christmas too" I know that... but I grew up in Florida and warm Christmases just dont feel right. That's one reason I havent spent a Christmas down there since 2013.... when it was 78 at NIGHT! Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,134,850 times
My favorite holidays are Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year but my favorite season is summer. Christmas is the only time when I would like to see snow in the city, but I don't want it to last for more than 2 days.

Last edited by Botev1912; 08-14-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 09:02 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
My favourite time of year is coming up; mid-fall through earlywinter. October, November and December. I love these months for many reasons. The weather, the leaves changing and falling, the first snow and frosts but ALSO the holidays.

I love the holiday season. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are the best. It's great that they're about evenly spread apart. I love everything they offer. From costumes, scary movies, handing out candy, carving pumpkins in Halloween to all the food and familial closeness of Thanksgiving, to decorating for Christmas, buying presents (holiday shopping isnt stressful for me... it's very fun) baking cookies, setting up the tree, going sledding and ice skating, having hot coco and opening presents on Christmas morning. And listening to Christmas music. (Not before Black Friday tho!) I just love the final 3 months.

I think my preference for cold weather has a lot to do with that. Though not only. I mean I still like January and February as well and I love the feeling of cold and cold weather in general, granted it's in the appropriate season.

I notice a lot of people who are drawn to perpetually warm climates arent big on the holidays. They may not hate them, but they are seen as an annual event that comes and goes where as to me it's a big excitement and a season I look forward to. Note this doesnt mean that those who love the holidays prefer the cold but it seems that they tolerate it better than those who dont care for them. Case in point; my friend's mom who LOVES Christmas, and doesnt mind the occasional snowfall and mildly cold weather but wouldnt be able to handle a northern winter.

Curious to know what y'all think. And before I get comments like "well lots of tropical countries celebrate Christmas too" I know that... but I grew up in Florida and warm Christmases just dont feel right. That's one reason I havent spent a Christmas down there since 2013.... when it was 78 at NIGHT! Yuck!
I've always thought this too. Couldn't agree more, and October through February are my favorite months too peaking in Decemeber

Old 08-14-2018, 09:23 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I've always thought this too. Couldn't agree more, and October through February are my favorite months too peaking in Decemeber

If I had to rank my top 4 months it would be
1. October
2. December
3. July
4. April

One for each season. But the Oct-Dec stretch is my fav.

Really I like all the months. August and September are my least favourite and they still offer great things. August is my least fav since I was a kid because it was the most oppressively hot plus it was back to school. September... a lot of depressing things have happened in September. 9/11, a kid got murdered in my high school in September 2009, one of my uncles died in September 2016. Come to think of it my great grandpa died in August 2009. Otherwise, I appreciate both those months here in Minnesota now. Especially September as it's the beginning of the cool weather.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:32 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
I am really going to miss summer. I wish it would be in the 70s and 80s all year round. I don't like snow and cold very much and holidays aren't a big deal for me. I think the main reason is I don't really have a lot of close family to spend them with. I would rather be laying on a beach during Xmas and New Years

Old 08-14-2018, 01:05 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,219,806 times
Just about the only things that I like about the fall and winter seasons in Indianapolis are the fall colors and the prospects of major rain, ice, or snow storms; I absolutely detest the bitter cold arctic air outbreaks that often follow the rain and snowstorms during the winter season.

Last edited by Isleofpalms85; 08-14-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 07:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

You're just like me.

October, November and December are my three favorite months of the year as well, and the holidays and cooler weather have a lot to do with it. There's also football season. I do enjoy the summer, and I make the most of it, but by mid-August I begin to desire cooler temperatures and drier air. I also think that February, March and April are a drag. The holiday season and football season are long gone, Valentine's Day is overrated, Lent sucks, and by mid-February I begin to desire warmer temperatures. St. Patrick's Day is an oasis during an otherwise dull time of the year. It's not until the end of April and beginning of May that the year starts to pick up for me, with the NFL Draft, Cinco de Mayo and Kentucky Derby. Those three things are harbingers of summer to me.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,654,822 times
I think the OP is on to something. I absolutely LOVE the holiday season and it's just not right if it's not cold. I get so excited as we get closer to October. I love the cool/cold weather, the turning and falling leaves, the boots, hats, sweaters, food, scents, decorations, etc.

Oct - Dec is my favorite, Jan - March aren't so bad. I'm not a big fan of Spring and Summer.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,134,850 times
I swear, I have never seen so many cold lovers outside of this forum. Usually people in real life like comfortable temperatures, not record cold with tons of snow.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:28 PM

542 posts, read 448,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I swear, I have never seen so many cold lovers outside of this forum. Usually people in real life like comfortable temperatures, not record cold with tons of snow.
Then you haven't truly lived!!!

Just Imagine it is December 20th and the high for the day was 28 F. It snowed 3 inches but the snow was on the dryer side forming beautiful crystals with a light wind around 8 mph gusting occasionally to 12 MPH from the NW. It's 9 o'clock and quiet with a temp around 22 F. It starts to snow lightly and very fine dry snow that forms sparking crystals when it passes though the light of the street light. You are walking on cleared path and the sky, despite the light snow is clear in the southeast and stars can be seen as the clouds began to roll in. You don't feel cold because you know how to dress for this weather and are perfectly dressed for light exercise in the perfect temperature range. The snow tickles your faces and you can hear the snow lightly striking your hood. The air is crisp and despite what other will tell you, it almost has taste that feels wonderful to breath in. You feel a gust of wind and look up and see the snow swirling above you and sparkling as if it is alive. The moon is out but the clouds are about to obscure it The virgin snow has yet to be disturbed and the moonlight flashes on the crystals of snow that looks to be almost blue. If only you could freeze this moment...

Yeah, who in their right mind would like that. I've had many moments just like that and maybe you will someday. That and other cool things about winter is why many of us love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather