Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 02:17 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times

Advertisements

I might wear a light jacket at 60 but I'd rather try to wear a shirt and sweater - I hate coats so I'd put that off for as long as possible! Of course wind or dampness also factors in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 02:17 PM

245 posts, read 142,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
About 68F (20C)
Wow I still wear t shirts sometimes in that weather

Old 08-24-2018, 02:38 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,286,521 times
You mean like a cotton jacket ?
a wool jacket ?
a heavy jacket ?
a lined jacket ?
a soft shell jacket ?
a windbreaker ?

because the answers are going to vary a lot

I generally wear something above my tshirt around 16-18c, but it depends on cloud cover / humidity / sun angle / personal energy / etc

Old 08-24-2018, 02:44 PM

31 posts, read 31,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
You mean like a cotton jacket ?
a wool jacket ?
a heavy jacket ?
a lined jacket ?
a soft shell jacket ?
a windbreaker ?

because the answers are going to vary a lot

I generally wear something above my tshirt around 16-18c, but it depends on cloud cover / humidity / sun angle / personal energy / etc
I wear a down jacket, it’s a mid thigh length north face

Old 08-24-2018, 02:48 PM

7,503 posts, read 6,286,521 times
I see

i would only wear that above a heavy sweater and a long sleeve shirt, not above a tshirt, that's a bit of a weird look for me.

Generally in september / october I tend to wear cotton jackets or light soft shell jackets for cool/mild weather when going out, which can be worn above a tshirt or a long sleeve shirt / hoodie. When it gets cold around mid november I switch to something more substantial.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:50 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
60f

Old 08-24-2018, 02:59 PM

575 posts, read 338,802 times
Let's assume a typical 30-45 minute, slow-paced, dog walk with plenty sniffing stops, when I patiently stand still:

28 F - 100 F : T-shirt + shorts
20 F - 28 F : Long-sleeve shirt + shorts
15 F - 20 F : Long-sleeve shirt + pants
0 F - 20 F : Light Jacket
-20F - 0 F : Windbreaker jacket
-40 F - -20F: Lambskin Fur Coat

Strong windchill can mean skipping a row (or two, if it's really windy) in this table.

I do, occasionally cheat, though. If it's a Blizzard out there (I love my long Blizzard walks), even though it's not cold (e.g. it's above -20 F), I still take the Lambskin Fur Coat, for safety.

I rather open up a button for few minutes, in the middle of Blizzard, to cool myself down, as it's incredibly easy to get very hot in that Coat, while wading through snow (it's quite an intense workout, actually - especially walking against the direction of Blizzard), especially if it's above -20 F.

My Husky doesn't seem to experience the same problem...

Old 08-24-2018, 03:00 PM

31 posts, read 31,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I see

i would only wear that above a heavy sweater and a long sleeve shirt, not above a tshirt, that's a bit of a weird look for me.

Generally in september / october I tend to wear cotton jackets or light soft shell jackets for cool/mild weather when going out, which can be worn above a tshirt or a long sleeve shirt / hoodie. When it gets cold around mid november I switch to something more substantial.
I don’t wear it over a T-shirt, I usually wear it over a fleece or sweater

Old 08-24-2018, 03:39 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
Let's assume a typical 30-45 minute, slow-paced, dog walk with plenty sniffing stops, when I patiently stand still:

My Husky doesn't seem to experience the same problem...
And just like dogs shedding into their winter fur, we do the same .. kinda... in a different way. We acclimate to temps. So while I would need a sweatshirt at 50F in Autumn, it would need short sleeves in winter.

Quote:
For instance, a recent study conducted by researchers led by Wouter D. van Marken Lichtenbelt at the NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism corroborated earlier findings that ten days of cold-exposure was enough to increase the body's ability to generate warmth without shivering.

The secret to the spike in heat production? According to the researchers, an increase in activity in brown adipose tissue, in parallel with an increase in nonshivering thermogenesis. Brown adipose tissue's main physiological purpose is to generate heat independently from the teeth-chattering muscle contractions that we often experience in the cold. Once thought to serve this role primarily in human infants, recent studies like this one have demonstrated that brown adipose tissue plays an important role in acclimatization to cold temperatures in adults, as well. As van Marken Lichtenbelt and his colleagues explain:
Source:

Old 08-24-2018, 04:25 PM

575 posts, read 338,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
And just like dogs shedding into their winter fur, we do the same .. kinda... in a different way. We acclimate to temps. So while I would need a sweatshirt at 50F in Autumn, it would need short sleeves in winter.

Source:
OMG ! You have no idea how happy I am see posting you something like this!!!

I call this situation a "thermostat reset". It happens to me every single winter and it doesn't even have to take 2 days, let alone 10.

Usually, with every Blizzard hike (even if it's just 3-4 hours), my internal thermostat resets, and I am literally sweating, while sitting in 60 F temperatures. It takes 2 weeks of sweating to get back to uncomfortable tolerating (with screeching teeth) 70 F again.

Thankfully, last winter, I was working from home and not in an overheated office, so I could simply keep all windows open (to the great joy of my Husky) and keep the temperature inside at a comfortable 55 F (with a constant wind from open windows).

And, it still took about a month till I could tolerate anything above 60 and I didn't even reach 70 F before winter was over. I spent at least 6 weeks at 55 F, and another 6 weeks at ~62 F indoor.

I suspect it has something to do with me, in past, going from 100 F Finish sauna (the one that properly burns and hurts when you breathe there) and jumping right away into freezing water. Something changed inside, once I started doing that regularly.

That thermal shock is an incredible chemical cocktail, just don't tell that to your cardiologist

Do you have some other info on the "cold resistance studies" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather