Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich of these two cities is more prone to 100°F temps ?
Chicago 19 59.38%
Philadelphia 13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 04:12 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
My definition of a subtropical climate :
-One month above 26°C and all of the 3 summer months above 22°C
-Tropical like summer
-8 months above 10°C
-Coldest month above 2°C

In fact, Washington DC is the beginning of the subtropical climate region.
Interesting - you don't regard Brisbane and Sydney as subtropical?

I guess you set the bar pretty high - now even growing coconuts, isn't enough to ensure subtropical status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 08:27 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob93 View Post
Neither is particularly, but Philadelphia is more likely out of these two continental climates.
No, it isn't. It's rare to get triple digit temps in Philadelphia.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:32 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Philadelphia is indeed a subtropical climate since Subtropical plants such as southern magnolia and crape myrtle and live oak can be grown there; Subtropical has more to do with what kinds of plants can grow in a specific location and not just the weather patterns of a given location, with that in mind places further to the north on the east coast could be categorized as being Subtropical, places like New York City and Long Island and even southeast Massachusetts and extreme southern Connecticut could theoretically be classified as being Subtropical since all of those locations have been successful in growing southern magnolia trees.
I live in Phila. and have never seen a crape myrtle. But, yes, magnolias do survive and bloom here.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Yes I know it is supposedly according to Koppen, but realistically Philadelphia is nothing like a true subtropical climate such as Hanoi, Brisbane etc. It has freezing winters which are not tropical like in any way at all

It has highs in the 40s in winter and lows barely go below freezing on average. It is not continental.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:56 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
I disagree. The fact that winters are so cold is exactly due to being on a large landmass, otherwise winters would not be so cold. It clearly has 4 seasons, I just do not associate it with subtropical at all. I understand Brisbane is at the other end of the spectrum, but it’s winters are literally 15C away from being even mildly warm

Cities like Atlanta and Dallas also sometimes get snow and cold. Doesn't mean they're not subtropical. Philly is just on the upper edge of the subtropical scale.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:03 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,746,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Interesting - you don't regard Brisbane and Sydney as subtropical?

I guess you set the bar pretty high - now even growing coconuts, isn't enough to ensure subtropical status.
Sydney is subtropical and of course Brisbane is very subtropical, the "warm" enough winter in Sydney offset the lack of heat during summer. Altough summer are not really tropical in Sydney, they are warm enough to not fall in the warm oceanic climate if we take into account the mild winters and the warm rain during growing season that helps subtropical forests to proliferate.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:47 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
Sydney is subtropical and of course Brisbane is very subtropical, the "warm" enough winter in Sydney offset the lack of heat during summer. Altough summer are not really tropical in Sydney, they are warm enough to not fall in the warm oceanic climate if we take into account the mild winters and the warm rain during growing season that helps subtropical forests to proliferate.
So you will be revising the over 26C for the warmest month requirement downwards? - will need to be 23C for Sydney to qualify.

Subtropical forests can proliferate at temperatures well both the 22C threshold.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:34 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
I’ve seen pictures of Philidelphia in winter and the grass is brown and it’s not green at all. More things can be grown here in the UK that Philidelphia as it is much more prone to colder temperatures there so I do not think that is a good argument - we can grow CIPDs here which wouldn’t last a single winter there!

Again I think it is down to personal opinions. I definitely would not call it a predominantly warm climate. It is hot for 2 months and the rest of the year is freezing cold to warm. If you were to group climates together it would not go with Alabama, New Orleans, Tampa, Brisbane etc
I agree Rob.

Just cuz they can grow Magnolia there, big deal,
as poster North42 from Windsor, Ontario pointed out a number of times,
there are even a few southern Magnolia growing in Windsor, right on their borderline/northern limit.

CIDP’s could never survive in NYC or Philadelphia unless really “babied” ...protected...
easier to grow a CIDP in Vancouver...average winter lows are actually “above” freezing,
far less wild swings in temperature too.

Toronto area is colder but sometimes I’m watching the news seeing NYC or Philly
being hammered with snow by a Nor’easter and meanwhile we are bare with green grass.

Subtropical starts much farther south, even Virginia Beach is pushing it,
almost every year they have to replace some of their palm trees near the beach.

Back to the question....I give a slight edge to Chicago,
being in the midwest...more continental than Philly.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:32 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
I'm getting a kick out of how Magnolias are somehow a status symbol.

But 100° is extremely rare in either city. Maybe if in a concrete, brick and asphalt heat island area.....

Being sub-tropical is jumped on for Philly to NYC. As said .... you need to pamper them to maintain either city. Cause deep-freeze days do happen.

My eyes chose if a city MIGHT be sub-tropical. Heck, I have a problem seeing Houston as Subtropical. I see some palms or tropical plants.... most people or the city don't plant them. I never knew why? Along the coast you see some. Then I'm convinced. At least Chicago does some tropical foliage in its downtown city-scape mx it plants and maintains.

But no magnolia is going to appear in Philly, Chicago or NYC naturally.

I get Philly has a bit milder winter then Chicago. But this sub-tropical being pushed ..... is extreme.
I'm ready already for a news years in south Florida about now too.

But I will take these sub-tropical views in summer Chicago .... Each year different in plants chosen.
But generally tropical and others mixed by the city and outdoor cafés utilize some.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:50 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 07:31 PM

717 posts, read 452,994 times
Definitely Chicago because it’s farther from the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather