Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:51 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,039,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIDb602 View Post
It's certainly livable. Looking at the average lows, the dewpoints can't be that much higher than those of Hong Kong. Not sure about the ability to grow rainforests, though.
A hot, wet unliveable hellhole actually.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:55 PM

1,503 posts, read 914,682 times
Quote:
It's certainly livable. Looking at the average lows, the dewpoints can't be that much higher than those of Hong Kong. Not sure about the ability to grow rainforests, though.
I'm assuming the rainfall pattern would be similar to that of López and therefore there would be rain almost every day. Wouldn't the humidity rise to lethal levels if there was constantly rain in a month where average highs were 39.1 C?

Old 01-18-2019, 01:28 PM

895 posts, read 604,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
I'm assuming the rainfall pattern would be similar to that of López and therefore there would be rain almost every day. Wouldn't the humidity rise to lethal levels if there was constantly rain in a month where average highs were 39.1 C?
Looking at Quibdó, Colombia, the dewpoints only average about 23C: https://weatherspark.com/y/21538/Ave...tions-Humidity

Say it rains in Quibdo in the mid-afternoon with a temperature of 32C and a dewpoint of 24C. The relative humidity is 62.71%.

If we raise the temperature to 40C and keep the relative humidity the same, the dewpoint would be 31.53C. Many parts of the Middle East have reached dewpoints over 30C, including a 35C dewpoint combined with a 42C temperature in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Considering that tropical climates are stable, I think it's still livable with A/C, although it would be a miserable climate nonetheless.

Also, the temperatures are only that high for a short time in the afternoon. Most of the day will have lower temperatures. Living in such a climate will be fine as long as you take precautions when going outside in the afternoon.

Btw, 40C with a dewpoint of 31.53C results in a heat index of 65C. But IMO the heat index overestimates the effects of high humidity.

And it's very possible that dewpoints will not be able to regularly get that high because the morning dewpoints are much lower. Looking at Weatherspark data, I don't know any real-life climate where afternoon dewpoints are a lot higher than overnight/morning dewpoints.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Looking at Quibdó, Colombia, the dewpoints only average about 23C: https://weatherspark.com/y/21538/Ave...tions-Humidity

Say it rains in Quibdo in the mid-afternoon with a temperature of 32C and a dewpoint of 24C. The relative humidity is 62.71%.

If we raise the temperature to 40C and keep the relative humidity the same, the dewpoint would be 31.53C. Many parts of the Middle East have reached dewpoints over 30C, including a 35C dewpoint combined with a 42C temperature in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Considering that tropical climates are stable, I think it's still livable with A/C, although it would be a miserable climate nonetheless.

Also, the temperatures are only that high for a short time in the afternoon. Most of the day will have lower temperatures. Living in such a climate will be fine as long as you take precautions when going outside in the afternoon.

Btw, 40C with a dewpoint of 31.53C results in a heat index of 65C. But IMO the heat index overestimates the effects of high humidity.

And it's very possible that dewpoints will not be able to regularly get that high because the morning dewpoints are much lower. Looking at Weatherspark data, I don't know any real-life climate where afternoon dewpoints are a lot higher than overnight/morning dewpoints.
I'm thinking that this climate may be unphysical. That is, if the average highs and rainfall were really both that high, it would not be possible for average lows to be that low.

Still, I think it would be potentially dangerous. Average RH in Quibdo is given as 87%. If there was that humidity here at a temperature of 35 C, it would give a wet bulb temperature of 34.7 C. That's pretty close to the wet bulb temperature that is said to be lethal to a healthy, unclothed human in the shade.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking that this climate may be unphysical. That is, if the average highs and rainfall were really both that high, it would not be possible for average lows to be that low.

Still, I think it would be potentially dangerous. Average RH in Quibdo is given as 87%. If there was that humidity here at a temperature of 35 C, it would give a wet bulb temperature of 34.7 C. That's pretty close to the wet bulb temperature that is said to be lethal to a healthy, unclothed human in the shade.
However, RH in Quibdo is higher in the morning and lower in the afternoon because dew point varies much less than temperature. I think the climate would be livable more or less, but I agree the lows are kind of unrealistic. It's not going to be worse than the 42C temp/35C dewpoint recorded in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. A wet bulb temperature of 34.7C has been recorded many times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bu..._high_humidity

Also, in our modern world A/C is common in hot climates so a person shouldn't have to be outside in the afternoon for extended periods of time. It's should be safe to stay outside for a few minutes or so at least.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
However, RH in Quibdo is higher in the morning and lower in the afternoon because dew point varies much less than temperature. I think the climate would be livable more or less, but I agree the lows are kind of unrealistic. It's not going to be worse than the 42C temp/35C dewpoint recorded in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. A wet bulb temperature of 34.7C has been recorded many times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bu..._high_humidity

Also, in our modern world A/C is common in hot climates so a person shouldn't have to be outside in the afternoon for extended periods of time. It's should be safe to stay outside for a few minutes or so at least.
I got interested in this as there have been quite a few studies warning that global warming may result in parts of the world becoming uninhabitable without A/C, particularly around the Persian Gulf and the Indo-Gangetic plains. Presumably a few people did live in Dhahran before AC, but they probably sheltered inside in buildings that remained a little cooler because of thick walls etc when wet-bulb temperatures rose too high and this didn't last long enough to be widely fatal. However if wet-bulb temperatures rise too high for too long, this might not be possible and therefore power cuts, car breakdowns etc may become lethal. Also agriculture may become impossible, particularly non-mechanised agriculture.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:00 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
This is dumb. This forum continues to kill itself.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:14 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
This is dumb. This forum continues to kill itself.
Instead of posting a non-productive, unsubstantiated criticism, how about a suggestion.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I got interested in this as there have been quite a few studies warning that global warming may result in parts of the world becoming uninhabitable without A/C, particularly around the Persian Gulf and the Indo-Gangetic plains. Presumably a few people did live in Dhahran before AC, but they probably sheltered inside in buildings that remained a little cooler because of thick walls etc when wet-bulb temperatures rose too high and this didn't last long enough to be widely fatal. However if wet-bulb temperatures rise too high for too long, this might not be possible and therefore power cuts, car breakdowns etc may become lethal. Also agriculture may become impossible, particularly non-mechanised agriculture.
I think the most realistic way the climate can take place would be to have dew points of 27-30C and rain mostly in the morning. In that case, the climate would certainly be livable.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Instead of posting a non-productive, unsubstantiated criticism, how about a suggestion.
I mean can we at least have a poll?????? I don't understand the logic of making something like this and not allowing us to put in a poll. To me that was the whole appeal of climate battle threads and now it's gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather