Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your area see active weather patterns within a week?
Mostly No 2 10.53%
Mostly Yes 13 68.42%
Sometimes 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 04:57 AM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Looking at the latest Discussion for this region it reminded me how unstable this area is with always changing patterns.

High Pressure, Stalled front, Low Pressure, Warm front, Cold front, Upper Low, another front.... all within next 5-7 days.

Wondering if you're area is the same.

Quote:
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service New York NY
1022 PM EDT Tue Apr 16 2019

.SYNOPSIS...
High pressure drifts to the south this evening as a stationary
front develops in the vicinity. A weak low moves along the
front tonight. High pressure builds back into the area from the
north on Wednesday. A warm front approaches Wednesday night and
Thursday, and lifts north Thursday night. A cold front follows
and passes through on Saturday. An upper level disturbance
lingers near the area for the end of the weekend. Another
frontal system impacts the area at the beginning of next week.

There's that mark Twain quote for New England "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
There's that mark Twain quote for New England "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" for a reason.
I thought everybody, everywhere said that.

My area is basically the opposite. A weather pattern will settle in and stay for weeks or months.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
The weather can still be quite bipolar in terms of temperatures here in Indianapolis during March and for much of April; I would say that weather patterns tend to stabilize more towards late May or early June and even then the weather is changeable still.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 AM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I thought everybody, everywhere said that.

My area is basically the opposite. A weather pattern will settle in and stay for weeks or months.
That is awesome. While the rapid changes keeps us on our heels, I think I'd rather have weeks/months of same pattern. Makes things predictable where as we're constantly looking at the forecasts here to plan ahead (or even afternoon day of)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
The weather can still be quite bipolar in terms of temperatures here in Indianapolis during March and for much of April; I would say that weather patterns tend to stabilize more towards late May or early June and even then the weather is changeable still.
Yup, Summer, when the Jet Stream lifts north and is flat across Canada, except past few years it's been dipping giving us the ups and downs even in summer. Summer is probably the only season I do not want stable weather patterns unless its a cool OR dry one.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:06 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
One pattern usually stays for a week or weeks. Changing pattern within a week happens but not often and it's usually in spring.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Vey active here, with several systems a week, common.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:57 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Spring and fall yes. Winter as well, though it seems more likely for a certain pattern to settle in for a week or two at a time. But you can still get sudden changes.

Summer is the only season that is pretty consistent. Cold fronts are generally too weak to penetrate this far south.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:16 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Depends on the season.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:37 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,873,231 times
As gleaned from my 12+ years of recording the weather in England, most weather patterns get stuck in for periods of 2-4 weeks, though more often about 10 days to 2 weeks or so. This year is following the pattern so far. First half of January mild, second half cold; first half of February unsettled and a bit mild, second half very dry settled and mild; first half of March very unsettled wet and stormy, second half benign and dry; first half of April cold and cloudy, second half to be rather milder and sunnier.

I think the weather could be more changeable here to make it more interesting, it isn't as changeable as continentally influenced climates obviously.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I'm in Colorado. Weather change is the only constant. For some reasons my air-pressure-related sinus headaches are better here than in Jersey, but they can still get pretty ugly. Only place that I've been headache free has been Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather