Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 AM

279 posts, read 590,015 times

Advertisements

We are planning our wedding and have decided to have it somewhere in New England, which our family, who are all south of us, will travel to. Here's the catch- it's going to be a winter wedding. I've only spent one winter in New England in my life, but as I recall.. January/Feb is usually the worst as far as snow and travel conditions, no?

We want to stay away from December, with Christmas being busy for people. We were thinking about the end of November, but now I'm wondering if that will still be stressful for some people, and I'm on the fence about how "guaranteed" I would be to have some snow on the ground as we are looking for that "winter wonderland" feel. We just don't want to incur a blizzard or anything. Is January just a terrible idea? Clearly wedding costs are cheaper then, due to most people probably not wanting a winter wedding in New England, lol I get it, guess we're strange. Anyway, any opinions on the weather would be greatly appreciated. We need to set a darn date! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:31 AM

21 posts, read 38,840 times
Maybe try one of the grand hotels in January? Mt Washington/Balsams/Mountain View. All bets are off as far as travel goes, but it will be white and scenic.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
The Mt. Washington Hotel in Crawford Notch or the Balsams in Dixville Notch are grand places for a wedding and just about guarantee snow about twice a week. The OP should also look around the Lakes Region. The advantage of the lakes is they are very near I-93 which is almost always plowed to pavement.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
I went to a wedding at the Mountain View Grand in Whitefield in February and it was beautiful. You will always take a gamble with the weather no matter what time of year.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:17 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,174,683 times
I agree with the others -- there's always a risk of inclement weather, but I think that risk is worth taking to have the beauty of the winter landscape in New Hampshire. Honestly, late November is probably the most depressing time of year, with all the bare trees, brownness, clouds, and cold - but not snow.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I agree with the others -- there's always a risk of inclement weather, but I think that risk is worth taking to have the beauty of the winter landscape in New Hampshire. Honestly, late November is probably the most depressing time of year, with all the bare trees, brownness, clouds, and cold - but not snow.

That's what I was starting to think. That late November would be risking not having any snow. I'm just worried January would be risking too much snow, like a blizzard or something impeding guest's travel completely. There are a lot of places in upstate NY I'm looking at now that may be a better "halfway" point for us and guests, so they don't have to travel ten to twelve hours or book flights. A six or seven hour trip to NY may be kinder of us lol

Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,660 times
there really isnt that much snow in late november, depending on where in new hampshire you go

Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
plus the complication of Thanksgiving traffic in late November.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 AM

You know I honestly didn't even think about Thanksgiving until this morning lol. I think January might be best. We are already settled with two kids and will both be finishing college and starting our careers shortly after the wedding. So we are likely going to specify "no gifts" as we really don't need anything the typical couple just starting out would. I'd rather our guest just get to come get away from it all after the busy holiday season Would you look at it that way or would a January wedding out of town feel like added stress?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
You know I honestly didn't even think about Thanksgiving until this morning lol. I think January might be best. We are already settled with two kids and will both be finishing college and starting our careers shortly after the wedding. So we are likely going to specify "no gifts" as we really don't need anything the typical couple just starting out would. I'd rather our guest just get to come get away from it all after the busy holiday season Would you look at it that way or would a January wedding out of town feel like added stress?
Mid-to-late January would be great. You could also consider early February. There is almost a guarantee that there will be snow on the ground and your guests' Christmas and New Year's stress will be gone by that point. Lots of people have out of town weddings nowadays and if you organize a beautiful, calm wedding, your guests will love the event. Although you can never predict a snowstorm, my experience has been that the worst New England storms occur in January and March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire