Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Orlando summers (flooding and hurricanes aside) or Seattle winters?
Orlando 33 50.77%
Seattle 30 46.15%
Tie 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:19 PM

233 posts, read 133,616 times

Advertisements

Seattle winters by a country mile.

Sure, Toronto is not nearly as rainy as Seattle in the fall/winter, but it CAN be cloudier... some years it feels like the clouds roll in late October and don't go away until the first extreme cold breakout in January. And I like it when it's rainy more than if it's just pure cloudy like Toronto for much of November and December.

Already not a fan of extreme summer heat, but compounding that with mugginess and thunderstorms almost every day is just torture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Wow--surprised that Orlando's "worst" season is almost tied with Seattle's worst season. People will put up with mosquito repellent and 24/7 AC than heating, rain jackets, and rain boots.

So why, oh why, do PNW cities like Seattle and Portland and Vancouver destroy Gulf Coast and Florida cities like Houston, New Orleans, and Orlando in all these climate battles, instead of a more even balance like we have in this poll?

Is it because of the hurricanes (and in this poll I asked you not to consider hurricanes as a factor)?

Is it because people have no idea how the PNW dreariness can really get to you?

Is it because people also have no idea that Gulf Coast/Florida summers aren't that bad if you've actually experienced them?

Old 05-29-2019, 10:47 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Wow--surprised that Orlando's "worst" season is almost tied with Seattle's worst season. People will put up with mosquito repellent and 24/7 AC than heating, rain jackets, and rain boots.

The forum is full of heat lovers these days, in stark opposition to the usual cold-weather skew that has dominated during previous years.

The fact that 'Orlando summers' is (nevertheless) losing demonstrates what a truly disgusting climate it is.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

So why, oh why, do PNW cities like Seattle and Portland and Vancouver destroy Gulf Coast and Florida cities like Houston, New Orleans, and Orlando in all these climate battles, instead of a more even balance like we have in this poll?

Is it because of the hurricanes (and in this poll I asked you not to consider hurricanes as a factor)?

Is it because people have no idea how the PNW dreariness can really get to you?

Is it because people also have no idea that Gulf Coast/Florida summers aren't that bad if you've actually experienced them?
I don't even own rain boots or an umbrella and winters here are not even that bad compared to the Midwest and Northeast. The worst part of the winters here is getting dark at 4:30. And this is in November, December and January. February is a lot brighter.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:48 AM

376 posts, read 240,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
The forum is full of heat lovers these days, in stark opposition to the usual cold-weather skew that has dominated during previous years.

The fact that 'Orlando summers' is (nevertheless) losing demonstrates what a truly disgusting climate it is.
The fact that Orlando's summers are losing demonstrates that this forum still has a cool/cold bias. Trust me Seattle's winters are awful and I know they are because I live in the UK with nearly the same exact winters and its awfully depressing. I'd suspect that the general population of the world would probably rather deal with Orlando's excessive summers. At least it's nice looking outside seeing the sun even if you do have to have AC. On the other hand, in Seattle, like other oceanic climates, you can't escape the horribleness. It could snow and it'd even be better because at least there's something interesting going on outside a part from light rain and clouds.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolik View Post
The fact that Orlando's summers are losing demonstrates that this forum still has a cool/cold bias. Trust me Seattle's winters are awful and I know they are because I live in the UK with nearly the same exact winters and its awfully depressing. I'd suspect that the general population of the world would probably rather deal with Orlando's excessive summers. At least it's nice looking outside seeing the sun even if you do have to have AC. On the other hand, in Seattle, like other oceanic climates, you can't escape the horribleness. It could snow and it'd even be better because at least there's something interesting going on outside a part from light rain and clouds.
Orlando's summer is still better than Tampa or Miami's, dews slightly lower as well as slightly lower morning lows

Old 05-30-2019, 02:06 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Seattle winters shouldn't be viewed as representative of Oceanic climates -firstly because Seattle is a cool summer Mediterranean climate, not Oceanic, and secondly because oceanic climates are quite varied during winter.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:35 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Seattle winters shouldn't be viewed as representative of Oceanic climates -firstly because Seattle is a cool summer Mediterranean climate, not Oceanic, and secondly because oceanic climates are quite varied during winter.
Seattle isn't Mediterranean, they're cool oceanic dry summer, coolest month is between 0 and +5.9°C, less than 4 months have means 18°C or higher and they're a humid climate with the driest summer month less than 1/3 the precip of the wettest winter month as well as below 30mm so summer dry season

Mediterranean climates have a coolest month between 6° and 17.9°C and have 4 or more months 18°C+.

Just look at the Mediterranean basin in Europe, the namesake of the climate type, all those locations in Italy, Greece, eastern Spain, southern France, all have warm to hot summers

Old 05-30-2019, 02:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Seattle isn't Mediterranean, they're cool oceanic dry summer, coolest month is between 0 and +5.9°C, less than 4 months have means 18°C or higher and they're a humid climate with the driest summer month less than 1/3 the precip of the wettest winter month as well as below 30mm so summer dry season

Mediterranean climates have a coolest month between 6° and 17.9°C and have 4 or more months 18°C+.

Just look at the Mediterranean basin in Europe, the namesake of the climate type, all those locations in Italy, Greece, eastern Spain, southern France, all have warm to hot summers
Similar dynamics to the PNW, with cool season mid latitude westerlies giving way to to prolonged summer high pressure.

It makes sense to lump climates by cause and dynamics,and explain differences by latitude, geography etc.

Your approach links climates by temperature only, and will explain little else

Old 05-30-2019, 03:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
I'd suspect that the general population of the world would probably rather deal with Orlando's excessive summers.

Not sure about the whole world, but somehow I very much doubt your claim for most of the US and Europe at least. You used a personal opinion and then made a claim about the general population. In reality people (on average) tend to have moderate views: they hate cold/cloudy but they also hate hot/humid. So the vote can go either way, and it's impossible to say anything without any statistical polling data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather