Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you classify San Diego's climate based on this year so far alone?
Still Mediterranean 3 12.00%
Semi-arid 13 52.00%
Humid subtropical 2 8.00%
Warm Desert 5 20.00%
Tropical Savannah (on the drier side similar to Honolulu) 1 4.00%
Other (please specify) 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:21 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,177,307 times

Advertisements

2015 has been the warmest year on record so far in San Diego. It also had almost no rain in February (normally the wettest month) and substantial amounts (by SoCal standards; still low compared to the rest of the U.S.) in both July and September (normally both get none, especially July).

1) If this data were the norm and not the exception, how would you classify San Diego's climate?

Still Mediterranean? Semi-arid? Subtropical humid? Warm Desert? Tropical Savannah (on the drier side similar to Honolulu)? Other classification?

2) Do you like it better than the normal San Diego?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego#Climate

Attached Thumbnails
How would you classify San Diego's climate based on the data for 2015 so far?-sandiegodata.jpg  

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 10-09-2015 at 12:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Probably semi-arid because of the low rainfall, kind of looks like the Canary Islands except the rainy season is kind of backwards/sporadic. Crazy weather year SD has had; record high SST's that are lasting well into Oct, record rain in summer, etc...

I def would prefer this to normal coastal SD weather, well except for May, looks like there was a lot of May Gray which is of course normal. I would want AC though, which I never had in SD, as it's so hard to sleep when the nights are that warm and muggy. Winter was too dry though although I guess those warm summer rains helped make up for it. I actually flew down the Sunday night of that weekend July rainstorm and caught a little bit of the warm rain, have never experienced rain at 75 degrees before in CA.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Probably semi-arid because of the low rainfall, kind of looks like the Canary Islands except the rainy season is kind of backwards/sporadic. Crazy weather year SD has had; record high SST's that are lasting well into Oct, record rain in summer, etc...

I def would prefer this to normal coastal SD weather, well except for May, looks like there was a lot of May Gray which is of course normal. I would want AC though, which I never had in SD, as it's so hard to sleep when the nights are that warm and muggy. Winter was too dry though although I guess those warm summer rains helped make up for it. I actually flew down the Sunday night of that weekend July rainstorm and caught a little bit of the warm rain, have never experienced rain at 75 degrees before in CA.
I've told L.A-Mex multiple times how we always have to sacrifice warmth to get rain and while we might get an occasional stray "warm" monsoon shower once every 2-3 years on the average, it would be impossible to accumulate both an above average rainfall and above average temperatures for an entire season because our rain is always paired with cooler than normal conditions.

I still admit that while most of the time, this pattern of cold-paired-with-rain is true, summer of 2015 has proven to be a true exception with both the wettest and warmest summer in San Diego history (counting summer as July-August-September). However, May was also the coldest month of the year and was also well above normal for rainfall so the sacrifice held true for May.

Now here's the big question for you, do you think will summer of 2016= summer of 2010 here? (I believe that was your last summer here before moving back to the Bay Area and you remember how cold that one was). What goes up most come down and we're probably going to head into a MAJOR La Niña next summer. This means the summer of 2016 will probably bring:

For us: lots of June Gloom lasting all summer long with consistently cooler than normal temperatures and SST The SST might not even break 70 F the entire year here.

For the Southeastern U.S: A VERY active hurricane season with multiple major landfalls possible anywhere between Virginia and Florida and Texas. Lots of damage and devastation possible.

For the Northeastern and Midwestern U.S: a much warmer than normal summer with multiple heat waves and possible waves of dewpoints near 80 F in places that don't normally see that like NYC and Chicago.

For the central U.S: a very active spring tornado season with multiple F4 and F5 tornadoes causing major havoc if the transition to La Niña happens in spring rather than in summer.

I think we will start transitioning into La Niña around May or June so it's around the cusp on how much effect it will have on tornado season.

But for us, I'm pretty sure that La Niña will reach in time to fully effect our summer so next summer, your trips to visit SD could be a major disappointment if you're wanting beach weather. It could look/feel more like your Bay Area Beaches. While I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing your old friends down here, you might want to save some room in the budget and vacation time for an extra trip to Hawaii if you're going to need your fix of warm beaches next year.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 10-10-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 11:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Too dry and desert like. No decent dewpoints and thunderstorms. Stable temps are nice.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:22 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,475,212 times
It rained last month at 88 F in Costa Mesa, and it even rained at 70 F in December, I'm sure you remember me posting about that...

Warm rains occur every year, not every summer day, but on select days a year it occurs.

I screenshot the weather I'll upload the pics at a later time...

* this is in response to a brandnewworld

Old 10-11-2015, 01:41 PM

633 posts, read 662,201 times
its almost like San Diego shifted 100 miles to the south. of course that would not explain the different rain pattern.

it looks somewhat reminiscent of Ensenada, Mexico which is 78 miles south of San Diego.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensena...fornia#Climate

it would be a desert if this year was the average. with the trend continuing, San Diego would only get 7-9 inches of rain for the year which would place it into a Desert classification. though i would call it an Oceanic Desert much like the coast of north-central Chile.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I've told L.A-Mex multiple times how we always have to sacrifice warmth to get rain and while we might get an occasional stray "warm" monsoon shower once every 2-3 years on the average, it would be impossible to accumulate both an above average rainfall and above average temperatures for an entire season because our rain is always paired with cooler than normal conditions.
I don't really think that is true, 2005 was a very wet year for San Diego but temperatures were still close to normal despite all the rain.

Quote:
]Now here's the big question for you, do you think will summer of 2016= summer of 2010 here? (I believe that was your last summer here before moving back to the Bay Area and you remember how cold that one was). What goes up most come down and we're probably going to head into a MAJOR La Niña next summer. This means the summer of 2016 will probably bring:

For us: lots of June Gloom lasting all summer long with consistently cooler than normal temperatures and SST The SST might not even break 70 F the entire year here.

For the Southeastern U.S: A VERY active hurricane season with multiple major landfalls possible anywhere between Virginia and Florida and Texas. Lots of damage and devastation possible.

For the Northeastern and Midwestern U.S: a much warmer than normal summer with multiple heat waves and possible waves of dewpoints near 80 F in places that don't normally see that like NYC and Chicago.

For the central U.S: a very active spring tornado season with multiple F4 and F5 tornadoes causing major havoc if the transition to La Niña happens in spring rather than in summer.

I think we will start transitioning into La Niña around May or June so it's around the cusp on how much effect it will have on tornado season.

But for us, I'm pretty sure that La Niña will reach in time to fully effect our summer so next summer, your trips to visit SD could be a major disappointment if you're wanting beach weather. It could look/feel more like your Bay Area Beaches. While I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing your old friends down here, you might want to save some room in the budget and vacation time for an extra trip to Hawaii if you're going to need your fix of warm beaches next year.
I don't think there is a correlation between a strong El Nino and a strong La Nina. It could just be more normal/average rather than below average.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Too dry and desert like. No decent dewpoints and thunderstorms. Stable temps are nice.
What do you consider "decent dewpoints"? And how do you even know what the dewpoints were based on the data presented?

Old 10-11-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What do you consider "decent dewpoints"? And how do you even know what the dewpoints were based on the data presented?
Dewpoints topped off in the upper 60s most days with several days in the low 70s and one day where it reached 75 F! We had 2 thunderstorms in July, 1 dry one in August (isolated), and 2 in September.
It might not seem like much but both were way above average for us.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:53 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Looks semi-arid to me so far not very much rain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather