Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 AM

84 posts, read 157,203 times

Advertisements

My crack at it ...
Alaska - obviously, freezing.
Alabama - hot of course
Arizona - hot
Arkansas - hot
California - hot
Colorado - hmmm. cold
Connecticut - cold
Delaware - hot
Florida - hot
Georgia - hot
Hawaii - hot of course
Idaho - cold
Illinois - cold
Indiana - cold
Iowa - cold
Kansas - cold
Kentucky - hmmmm. hot.
Louisiana - hot
Maine - cold!
Maryland - hot
Massachusetts - cold
Michigan - cold!
Minnesota - COLD!
Mississippi - hot
Missouri - hmmmm. cold i suppose.
Montana - cold!
Nebraska - cold
Nevada - hot
New Hampshire - cold
New Jersey - cold
New Mexico - hot
New York - cold
North Carolina - hot
North Dakota - COLDDD!!
Ohio - cold
Oklahoma - hot
Oregon - cold
Pennsylvania - cold
Rhode Island - cold
South Carolina - hot
South Dakota - cold
Tennessee - hot
Texas - hot!
Utah - hmmmm. cold.
Vermont - cold
Virginia - hot
Washington - cold
West Virginia - cold
Wisconsin - cold!
Wyoming - cold!

Last edited by Humanandneedtobeloved; 04-12-2011 at 05:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanandneedtobeloved View Post
2 - Arizona
3 - Arkansas
49 - Wyoming
50 - Alabama
Well first I was just gonna say that this was kind of silly idea, as nearly all states have huge temperature variation and can't be categorized just as being 'hot' or 'cold', ......but then, I saw your list, and now I'm just confused as hell.

What the heck is the order to that list? Why is there no number 1? Which state is missing? Very strange.

EDIT: I see now it's just alphabetical, but with Alabama at the end and Alaska missing.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 AM

I just copied the list from somewhere cuz I was too lazy to type it out. i fixed it though.

But yeah um, it's obvious North Dakota is a 'cold state' and Florida is a 'hot state' but how would you classify say, Kentucky or Colorado?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I just copied the list from somewhere cuz I was too lazy to type it out.

But yeah um, it's obvious North Dakota is a 'cold state' and Florida is a 'hot state' but how would you classify say, Kentucky or Colorado?
Well you could, I say could, call Colorado a cold state and call Kentucky a hot state, but that would drastically oversimplify things. Also I'm not sure you really needed to give a full (or not so full) list of states as most people on here are most likely very able to name them all themselves, but thanx anyway.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Well you could, I say could, call Colorado a cold state and call Kentucky a hot state, but that would drastically oversimplify things. Also I'm not sure you really needed to give a full (or not so full) list of states as most people on here are most likely very able to name them all themselves, but thanx anyway.
Of course it oversimplifies things, but that is why I made this topic. I know all states, even Alaska and Hawaii, have both cold and hot weather. The idea is for people to say in their opinion, whether their state has more cold weather or hot weather.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Of course it oversimplifies things, but that is why I made this topic. I know all states, even Alaska and Hawaii, have both cold and hot weather. The idea is for people to say in their opinion, whether their state has more cold weather or hot weather.
Well I'm not sure you'll get that many takers, but I could me easily wrong. Good luck to you.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
California is not just hot. In fact during the summer month, the California Coast is one of the coolest places in the whole country, extremely comfortable when just about everywhere else is either sweltering like an oven or steamy like a sauna. It depends on where you are. Here is a map that I made for someone asking about this very topic in another thread.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...f?t=1302613946

During the summer months, it can be in the 50s-60s right along the coast, 60s to 70s around the Bay, 80s in the closer interior areas and 90s-100s in outlying areas, ALL AT THE EXACT SAME TIME. Its not uncommon in either San Francisco or Los Angeles for there to be a 40-degree variance in daily highs at opposite ends of their respective metro areas.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
California is not just hot. In fact during the summer month, the California Coast is one of the coolest places in the whole country, extremely comfortable when just about everywhere else is either sweltering like an oven or steamy like a sauna. It depends on where you are. Here is a map that I made for someone asking about this very topic in another thread.

During the summer months, it can be in the 50s-60s right along the coast, 60s to 70s around the Bay, 80s in the closer interior areas and 90s-100s in outlying areas, ALL AT THE EXACT SAME TIME. Its not uncommon in either San Francisco or Los Angeles for there to be a 40-degree variance in daily highs at opposite ends of their respective metro areas.
...and Minnesota gets up to 90 in the summer, so does that make MN a 'hot' state?

Nobody moves to Cali because there are 'cooler' tempuratures there.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
...and Minnesota gets up to 90 in the summer, so does that make MN a 'hot' state?

Nobody moves to Cali because there are 'cooler' tempuratures there.
In summer, everywhere in the Lower 48 is stiflingly hot compared to the West Coast.

BTW, 99% of people dont move anywhere because of the weather unless their retirees.

And California has a variance in temperatures that gives its residents real options in summer. You can choose to be hot or you can choose not to be. That is priceless.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:46 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
it seems to you "cold" is a the overall determining factor whether a state is cold or hot. if the state has a winter, it's cold, period. the fact most if not all of those states have a hot summer seems to have no bearing on your thoughts. weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.