Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife have totally different climates we want to live in:

She prefers beautiful nature filled areas with mild summers and snowy winters. She definitely wants a 4 distinct season state. She tends to hate hot weather above 85 degrees, and loves the rain as well.

I hate the snow and cold, and am generally happiest where it doesn't usually dip below the 50s... ever. At the very least I would be happy if I could never see snow again! I also like being in well developed suburbs near lots of stores, food, businesses, entertainment, etc.

-----

We've had a hard time identifying places we can both be happy. Basically her ideal is somewhere with a real winter, which makes me bummed out, and my ideal is a place without a real winter, so she gets bummed out. The best happy medium we've found so far would be Washington State with it's mild climate. I feel we'd both be more happy than sad there even if it's not our perfect ideal.

I'm wondering if there are any other states that match the criteria though for both of us. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Northern California up through Oregon to Washington are all going to give you roughly the same weather. The amount of "winter" you get will be dependent upon your elevation.

But, you'd both be giving something up. Temps will drop below the 50s, but it's not going to snow often anywhere in or near town. But ... snow is a short drive away.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Me and my wife have totally different climates we want to live in:

She prefers beautiful nature filled areas with mild summers and snowy winters. She definitely wants a 4 distinct season state. She tends to hate hot weather above 85 degrees, and loves the rain as well.

I hate the snow and cold, and am generally happiest where it doesn't usually dip below the 50s... ever. At the very least I would be happy if I could never see snow again! I also like being in well developed suburbs near lots of stores, food, businesses, entertainment, etc.

-----

We've had a hard time identifying places we can both be happy. Basically her ideal is somewhere with a real winter, which makes me bummed out, and my ideal is a place without a real winter, so she gets bummed out. The best happy medium we've found so far would be Washington State with it's mild climate. I feel we'd both be more happy than sad there even if it's not our perfect ideal.

I'm wondering if there are any other states that match the criteria though for both of us. Thanks for any help!
For your wife, it sounds like New England or the northern Midwest states would be best (though personally I'd prefer New England - especially, matching your wife's preferences best, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire). For you, Southern California seems pretty good. I don't think both of you can completely win. Someone would probably need to compromise.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,444,654 times
Pacific Northwest would be a good compromise (especially Portland). You could also look at cities like Kansas City, Raleigh, Asheville, Charlotte, etc. that do get winter, but not nearly to the extreme you find further north.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
She is a Pacific Northwest person

Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
We definitely understand we will have to compromise, but it's better than one of us being miserable and the other gleefully happy. Pretty much Pacific Northwest is what figured was the best region for us, but we wanted to see if there were any other mild climates in the country.

Also, as others have mentioned the Northeastern States, her most preferred state to live is Maine. :P

Old 01-01-2014, 01:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
We definitely understand we will have to compromise, but it's better than one of us being miserable and the other gleefully happy. Pretty much Pacific Northwest is what figured was the best region for us, but we wanted to see if there were any other mild climates in the country.

Also, as others have mentioned the Northeastern States, her most preferred state to live is Maine. :P
It is beautiful in Maine! Summers are pretty mild but they do get snow and cold winters. Along the coast, though, they may not get as much snow as more inland areas. I love York Beach, Maine, it's one of my favorite areas I've ever been to. It's right over the New Hampshire border so it's not far north.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:

What draws her to Maine? I know there is alot of Maine features on the Oregon coast, excluding the warmer water.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Look along the Appalachians too, Knoxville, Johnson City TN, Asheville NC, Blacksburg, Lynchburg, Roanoke VA etc.
Adjust climate a bit by adjusting elevation.
Jobs.... are another story.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 AM

24 posts, read 41,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Pacific Northwest would be a good compromise (especially Portland). You could also look at cities like Kansas City, Raleigh, Asheville, Charlotte, etc. that do get winter, but not nearly to the extreme you find further north.
Heh...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.