Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be an interesting back and forth. Not specifically looking to relocate, just curious.

For me:

Winter: I prefer a fairly cold winter, with snow on the ground continuously for most of January and February. I'm perfectly comfortable with temperatures into the 20s when properly dressed, provided the wind isn't blowing. I do find it a bit dreary when winter extends into April however.

Summer: I find that I sweat profusely when the temperature gets above 75 degrees and I'm outside wearing anything more than a t-shirt and shorts. I can deal with the low 80s, but 90s are intolerable.

Other:
I like Spring and especially Fall, but everywhere I've lived they tend to be fairly short seasons. Dry climates give me nosebleeds, so I prefer some, but not cloying humidity.

My guess is I'd feel most comfortable somewhere like Portland Maine, but I'd be willing to hear other ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
I like this.

Winter: I don't mind snow as long as it goes away like the next day. I also wouldn't mind being in a place where it doesn't snow at all. But I don't really want to be in a place that I'd be celebrating Christmas in 90 degree weather. I just hate NY winters where it's dark and crappy for months on end and you can't wear white because of the fear you'll get them all dirty from the slush mixed with dirt and mud. Ew.

Summer: I like them hot but not humid. With sun all the time. Sun, sun, sun!

I hate spring and fall. I just want sun.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:01 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I thought this would be an interesting back and forth. Not specifically looking to relocate, just curious.

For me:

Winter: I prefer a fairly cold winter, with snow on the ground continuously for most of January and February. I'm perfectly comfortable with temperatures into the 20s when properly dressed, provided the wind isn't blowing. I do find it a bit dreary when winter extends into April however.

Summer: I find that I sweat profusely when the temperature gets above 75 degrees and I'm outside wearing anything more than a t-shirt and shorts. I can deal with the low 80s, but 90s are intolerable.

Other:
I like Spring and especially Fall, but everywhere I've lived they tend to be fairly short seasons. Dry climates give me nosebleeds, so I prefer some, but not cloying humidity.

My guess is I'd feel most comfortable somewhere like Portland Maine, but I'd be willing to hear other ideas.
I was getting ready to suggest Portland, ME while reading your post, then I saw you'd already thought of that. Maybe also Burlington, VT.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
My ideal climate:

Winter: Want to be able to walk around in jeans (or even shorts) and a short sleeve shirt on 75% of the days. No snow.

Spring: I love storms. I would want there to be storms with regularity. Nothing violent, but I love thunder, lightning, and rain. I want to have the flexibility to wear shorts or jeans with a short sleeve shirt.

Summer: I want to walk outside and immediately feel the heat rush. A high of 95-100 and lows in the upper 70's at night is perfect. I want to be able to go on my long distance runs and come home with a soaking wet shirt. I also like some humidity with my heat, but not overwhelming like Southeast Asia.

Any guesses?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I like this.

Winter: I don't mind snow as long as it goes away like the next day. I also wouldn't mind being in a place where it doesn't snow at all. But I don't really want to be in a place that I'd be celebrating Christmas in 90 degree weather. I just hate NY winters where it's dark and crappy for months on end and you can't wear white because of the fear you'll get them all dirty from the slush mixed with dirt and mud. Ew.

Summer: I like them hot but not humid. With sun all the time. Sun, sun, sun!

I hate spring and fall. I just want sun.
Denver or ABQ?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
I made up a fake climate that I want. Numbers say more than words:

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,717 times
I am not a fan of summer or spring.

Fall: I like warm to cool crispy temps with on a slight breeze and I love a rainy fall day. Ideal temps would be around 55-65

Winter: I like snow and cold weather to a degree. I would like to have frequent snow with a bigger snow storm every now and then. I also want to live someone where getting around is still possible. Ideal temps would be 20-40

Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Winter: I like cold. I like snow (more the powdery type, not the slush). I like when there's no humidity in the air... just that chill crisp air. I also like to see some sun, especially when it reflects off the snow and makes everything seem brighter. As a sidenote and a bit of a rant... its definitely has to be a place where people aren't so *gggaasssssspppp*SNOW?!?!!?!SNOWMAGGEDON!!!!111!!* freeeakks out*. Doesn't always happen every year in Seattle, but it doesn't make it less annoying when it does happen. People here just can't drive for squat in the snow.

Spring/Fall: Spring should definitely be a sign winter's over and summer's coming soon. I'd love to see that autumnal changes with the colors, leaves fluttering down and the cold air coming in.

Summer:I like it hot. I'd also like warm summer nights where I can sit back and watch my daughters chase after lightening bugs (something that cannot be done in Seattle/the state of WA). Also lots of water nearby (ocean, lakes, rivers, whatever) for that cool down relaxation fun times. ETA: Also... I like Indian summers too.. they're always nice to experience.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 06-20-2012 at 02:29 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
My ideal climate:

Winter: Want to be able to walk around in jeans (or even shorts) and a short sleeve shirt on 75% of the days. No snow.

Spring: I love storms. I would want there to be storms with regularity. Nothing violent, but I love thunder, lightning, and rain. I want to have the flexibility to wear shorts or jeans with a short sleeve shirt.

Summer: I want to walk outside and immediately feel the heat rush. A high of 95-100 and lows in the upper 70's at night is perfect. I want to be able to go on my long distance runs and come home with a soaking wet shirt. I also like some humidity with my heat, but not overwhelming like Southeast Asia.

Any guesses?
Definitely inclined to think somewhere in TX. I'll toss in Shreveport as well.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I am not a fan of summer or spring.

Fall: I like warm to cool crispy temps with on a slight breeze and I love a rainy fall day. Ideal temps would be around 55-65

Winter: I like snow and cold weather to a degree. I would like to have frequent snow with a bigger snow storm every now and then. I also want to live someone where getting around is still possible. Ideal temps would be 20-40
Consider looking into the western portions of WA/OR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.