Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 11:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Funny, I thought Meteorologists thought Fall started when it was suppose to. Not when the CDF Meteorologists thought it started.
It was summer until September 23rd this year. About 90 Days after it started.
Again September is mostly a Summer month in the Northern Hemisphere. As June is mostly a spring month.

And surprise, it really feels that way. Might take a week, (Never seems like it at the start of Fall)

Astronomical Seasons
The astronomical definition uses the dates of equinoxes and solstices to mark the beginning and end of the seasons:

Spring begins on the spring equinox;
Summer begins on the summer solstice;
Fall (autumn) begins on the fall equinox; and
Winter begins on the winter solstice.
The beginning of each season marks the end of the last.

Because the timings of the equinoxes and solstices change each year, the length of astronomical seasons within a year and between years also vary.
Where I live, Tennessee, June is NOT a spring month. And this is a place where spring is warm, average highs have to get above 82 F / 28 C or so for it to be considered summer here. And, winter starts at a high of about 56 F / 13 C or below, again that's the average.

We're usually in our spring pattern by early March, sometimes even February. March 1 is a good approximation, yes it can get cold and even snow here in March but it's a lot less common than January, in the first half of March a majority of days are close to 60 F / 16 C at least and most nights are above freezing, compared to the core of winter itself when a majority of days have a high near 50 F / 10 C or cooler and most nights are below freezing.

Summer conditions usually start before May is out, some cooler years have had spring-like conditions into EARLY June but they never get close to the 20th. Most years, the beginning of June is full-on summer with high temperatures near 85 F / 29 C on average, sometimes getting into the 90s / 32+ C. By June 20 (the summer solstice) we're averaging highs close to 90 F / 32 C and it's almost indistinguishable from the height of summer in July and August.

I'll give you the fall equinox, our summer conditions seem to go later than September 1 usually, a lot of times right up to the fall equinox and occasionally into early October (gasp). But fall is over WELL before December 21, December is quite a cold month here and even late November is quite wintry.

The way I look at the ridiculousness of the equinox system (at least for where I live) is to compare the conditions at the start and end of the astronomical seasons. The idea is that winter and summer SHOULD have similar conditions at their ends (e.g. the first day of winter and last day of winter should have similar averages, ditto for summer). But December 21 is MUCH colder than March 21, and September 23 is cooler than June 21 (although not as drastic of a difference).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 11:02 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
The way I look at the ridiculousness of the equinox system (at least for where I live) is to compare the conditions at the start and end of the astronomical seasons. The idea is that winter and summer SHOULD have similar conditions at their ends (e.g. the first day of winter and last day of winter should have similar averages, ditto for summer). But December 21 is MUCH colder than March 21, and September 23 is cooler than June 21 (although not as drastic of a difference).
Agreed. June has more 90F+ days than September and is more likely to get 95F+ days. Also, it's often felt like winter for almost a month by December 21 and spring for over a month by March 20.

We did get a lot more 90F+ days in September this year, but we had a high-pressure system causing a heatwave and drought, while we had a random mild spell in mid-June that made it feel more like San Francisco and sent lows below 50F.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:54 AM

855 posts, read 772,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Texas. That's where. Record hottest September for them this year.
Europe also had a hot September. Italy certainly did anyway, based on my travel experience!

Old 10-07-2019, 03:00 AM

855 posts, read 772,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
depending on climate and weather, will turn yellow or brown. It often gets greyer, damper, foggier. The rain is more drizzly.
Yep, this part really does depend. In southeast Michigan your description is accurate, but where I grew up in the PNW this was actually the stage where grass started to turn GREEN again, from being brown all summer.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:21 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Yep, this part really does depend. In southeast Michigan your description is accurate, but where I grew up in the PNW this was actually the stage where grass started to turn GREEN again, from being brown all summer.

Yea. When I was in Oregon in December 2016, the grass was jade green. Down in Texas it was a brownish yellow.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:28 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Green Stage: March to mid April. Nights can be noticeably cooler and it is more rainier. Plants are still well thriving and would root easily if you want to propagate them.

Gold Stage: Late April to early June. Days getting shorter. Nights are more cooler and humid, with foggy mornings. Autumn foliage peaks in May with nice, showy colours. Leaves may start to fall as early as mid April, depending on how cool it is. You can grow some plants at this time, but they won't be vigorous or active.

Brown Stage: June to early August. Early winter can be wet, but the weather gets very dry and sunny by August, causing drought. Overall, this season is cool and dry. Deciduous plants are pretty bare by late June. Annuals, like Four O Clock and Coleus plants would be dead by late June. Rooting plants is mostly unsuccessful at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather