Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 11:19 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

When it's winter in monsoonal climates, it's dead and cold and trees have no leaves.

When it's summer in Med climates, trees and shrubs still have green leaves and flower and grasses can get brown. Also, if you irrigate anything can be grown from any climate region.

A dry summer in Sacramento looks more lush than a dry winter in Beijing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
That's not actually true about tomatoes. China is by far the world's top producer of tomatoes, followed by India. It seems they are grown in a wide variety of climates (outdoors).
Then why do the Chinese not use tomatoes a lot in their cooking? I know the Mongolian do, but it's a lot drier up there, their summer is hot and dry not hot and humid.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

Most of the staple crops are grown in places like Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska I believe.
Potatoes are mainly grown in Idaho. Wheat is common in the upper Midwest. Corn is common in the lower Midwest but also the south. For instance there is a lot of corn grown in Texas. Rice is common along the Gulf Coast, especially Louisiana and along coastal Texas. If you eat bread it was grown in the Midwest, if you eat corn it was grown in the upper South, most of the Midwestern corn is used for feed stock. If you eat rice it was grown in the South. If you eat potatoes they came from Idaho or Maine.

I actually eat a lot more rice and corn than wheat. I do eat a lot of potatoes though. I try to cut gluten out of my diet when I can because of the negative effects. For instance I like cornbread instead of biscuits, corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. YMMV. I use lots of onions, garlic, tomatoes, olives, and Med vegetables in my diet so that's one of the reasons I like it.

For sugar almost all the sugarcane comes from Louisiana. Sugar beets come from the Upper Midwest. Sugarcane is higher quality than sugar beets so is preferable for adding to coffee, tea, etc... Sugar made from beets is cheaper for baking. Corn syrup is used for a lot of mass produced goods.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:44 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Browned off grass is pretty common in many Oceanic climates during summer, and crops like citrus and olives are also found in Oceanic climates.

Main difference is that groundwater levels are still higher on average than Mediterranean climates, so Oceanic climates typically have a bigger range of broadleaf vegetation.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Browned off grass is pretty common in many Oceanic climates during summer, and crops like citrus and olives are also found in Oceanic climates.

Main difference is that groundwater levels are still higher on average than Mediterranean climates, so Oceanic climates typically have a bigger range of broadleaf vegetation.
See I'm not a fan of broadleaf vegetation. I like flowering shrubs, bushes, and evergreen trees mainly.

I'm not a fan of lawns, I'd prefer xeroscaped front yards with rock gardens and palm trees.

In Med climates parks will have a small irrigated lawn area for sports like football/soccer/baseball. Then there will be gravel trails through the shrub area. Since there is little rain it's easy to maintain the paths. If it's a very hot climate shade pavilions are a good respite from the heat. In the winter all the areas along the paths will be greened up and the grassy area will still be green, although some trees will have lost their leaves, not the evergreen ones which predominate. So the park will on whole look mostly good all year.

In monsoonal climates the parks are usually large wide areas of cut grass and broadleaf trees, in the winter it is quite barren and the grass brown.

In Oceanic climates I've noticed the parks are usually forests with a small area of clearing for the mowed lawn. There's nothing wrong with it but the climate is usually rainy so there are less days to enjoy the park.

So while I prefer Med climates I like Oceanic climates better than monsoonal climates or any continental type climate. Continental climates suffer just as the monsoonal climates do, large portions of the year they are lifeless.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:56 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,510,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Then why do the Chinese not use tomatoes a lot in their cooking? I know the Mongolian do, but it's a lot drier up there, their summer is hot and dry not hot and humid.
No idea about China, but the region around Bowen, Queensland, which is an Aw climate is famous for its tomatoes. They grow them in the winter.

Quote:
Harvest begins for Australia's biggest winter tomato producers

If you have ever wondered why Australians are able to buy fresh tomatoes all year round, it has a lot to do with the Bowen region in North Queensland.

A few weeks ago, when the harvest had finished in most other tomato-growing areas around the nation, workers were just entering the fields of Bowen to begin their seven-month picking season.

The area is Australia's biggest winter producer of tomatoes, harvesting $160 million worth each year.

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...arvest/6534326

Old 09-02-2020, 01:19 PM

1,503 posts, read 913,885 times
Quote:
They must do, unless they're doing something else with all those tomatoes! Maybe they're just not used much in the Chinese dishes we're familiar with in the west? China is also a pretty big and varied country so maybe it's mainly limited to some regions? I'd have thought tomatoes would be a summer crop in north China and a winter one in the warmest parts of the south.

Some other very un-mediterranean countries that are big producers are Brazil, Nigeria and Indonesia. Cuba seems a rather large producer given its rather small population. Probably a winter/dry season crop in all.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
They must do, unless they're doing something else with all those tomatoes! Maybe they're just not used much in the Chinese dishes we're familiar with in the west? China is also a pretty big and varied country so maybe it's mainly limited to some regions? I'd have thought tomatoes would be a summer crop in north China and a winter one in the warmest parts of the south.

Some other very un-mediterranean countries that are big producers are Brazil, Nigeria and Indonesia. Cuba seems a rather large producer given its rather small population. Probably a winter/dry season crop in all.
Yeah it's a winter dry season crop in Florida. But it requires a warm dry season. You're not going to grow it in a cold dry climate with sub zero lows.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
See I'm not a fan of broadleaf vegetation. I like flowering shrubs, bushes, and evergreen trees mainly.

I'm not a fan of lawns, I'd prefer xeroscaped front yards with rock gardens and palm trees.

In Med climates parks will have a small irrigated lawn area for sports like football/soccer/baseball. Then there will be gravel trails through the shrub area. Since there is little rain it's easy to maintain the paths. If it's a very hot climate shade pavilions are a good respite from the heat. In the winter all the areas along the paths will be greened up and the grassy area will still be green, although some trees will have lost their leaves, not the evergreen ones which predominate. So the park will on whole look mostly good all year.

In monsoonal climates the parks are usually large wide areas of cut grass and broadleaf trees, in the winter it is quite barren and the grass brown.

In Oceanic climates I've noticed the parks are usually forests with a small area of clearing for the mowed lawn. There's nothing wrong with it but the climate is usually rainy so there are less days to enjoy the park.

So while I prefer Med climates I like Oceanic climates better than monsoonal climates or any continental type climate. Continental climates suffer just as the monsoonal climates do, large portions of the year they are lifeless.
Many Oceanic climates are places of evergreen trees, flowering shrubs, and palms. Often also showing a Mediterranean tendency towards dry summers not overly affected by rain much, and with green winters and plenty of flowering shrubs.

Essentially they are a form of Mediterranean climate, but with greater moderation in the warm season, and more susceptible to cyclone/hurricane big rain events, which tend to distort rainfall stats during summer.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Many Oceanic climates are places of evergreen trees, flowering shrubs, and palms. Often also showing a Mediterranean tendency towards dry summers not overly affected by rain much, and with green winters and plenty of flowering shrubs.

Essentially they are a form of Mediterranean climate, but with greater moderation in the warm season, and more susceptible to cyclone/hurricane big rain events, which tend to distort rainfall stats during summer.
Yeah I don't mind those climates but they are not as predictable in the summer so that's why they aren't my favorite. They are much better than Continental climates IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather