Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 02:27 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times

Advertisements

I think that it is just a preference; maybe in my case simply because I grew up in climates with cold winters.

I love cold because I love snow and plenty of it. There is also something exhilarating about being out in frigid temperatures; I enjoy walking in frozen landscapes. I also have the obvious reasons for liking cold such as winter hobbies like ice skating and snowmobiling.

Typically the coldest it gets here is single digits when there is a polar vortex; generally it average 25 F in the winter months here.

I do enjoy visiting places that get subzero temperatures in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 02:35 PM

1,503 posts, read 915,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Try joining netweather.tv and you'll find that British weather fans (as opposed to the general public) are OBSESSED about not only cold and snow, but cold weather in summer as well! You even get people moaning about how a normal British summer is "too hot and humid". I wish I was joking. I used to get in big arguments with people on there about this, especially when they'd cherry pick cold charts 10 days in the future in the middle of May, for Goodness sake. Now I just put such folk on ignore. Not because of them liking cold, but when they would post cold charts in the middle of summer just to wind folk up. Funny place, netweather.
Maybe it's a "weather person" thing? Or a "forum person" thing?

Old 03-14-2020, 07:00 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
I was quite pleasantly enthused by cold weather as a child and younger teen. It became less pleasant when I started driving, and even less pleasant when I became responsible for the heating bill. My vehicular preference is light, open, RWD sports cars... and these are distinctly less enjoyable in subfreezing weather, though I will still drive a convertible top-down when the temperature is in the 40s F. Now with more gray hair than brown, any extreme of temperature is unpleasant, but extreme cold is especially unpleasant, as it necessitates all sorts of preparation (for the car, for one's clothes, for the house, ...). If machinery fails in sub-freezing weather, it is unpleasant to repair it outdoors, or to be left stranded. If one's shoes leak, it is merely a nuisance in say rainy weather in the 40s or 50s. But trudging through the snow when it is 10 deg F, in broken/leaky footwear, quickly goes from uncomfortable to downright dangerous.

So, with time, I am progressively less tolerant of cold... despite having been born and raised in a cold climate, in the same locale as one of the posters in this thread.

One more point. From a male perspective, the benefit of warmer weather, in terms of the "scenery", is self-evident.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:09 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
There's no such thing as bad weather--only improper gear. I don't really LOVE the cold, but ya gotta deal with it and you can't hide from it.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:01 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
I know that some people actually prefer the cold over the heat, but I am not one of them, being a southern boy(My place of birth is New Orleans), I have never been a fan of cold weather, and as soon as I am able to get my bachelors degree I am hightailing it back to Texas, which is where I lived before moving to Indianapolis anyway.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:50 PM

2,372 posts, read 1,856,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
There's no such thing as bad weather--only improper gear. I don't really LOVE the cold, but ya gotta deal with it and you can't hide from it.
i mean you can hide by living someplace that doesn't get cold..

Old 05-14-2020, 07:55 PM

460 posts, read 232,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
Perhaps it is a cultural thing? I'm originally from South Africa and now live in England. In both places people generally don't like cold weather, except sometimes for the novelty of snow. Of course everyone is difference, but there's definitely a general dislike of cold weather.
No, it's not a cultural thing, I can assure you (I grew up in a very cold place).
It's mostly people 1) not having experienced better climates 2) psychological defense to justify living where you live, to avoid expenses, stress and trouble of relocation or to justify sticking to your job opportunities in cold weather place.
Most people in cold weather places truly wish they were living some place warm, but it's hard to relocate.
Another thing is hot climates often pose a physical problem for cold-climate-bred people (need long adaptation, harder with age), especially hot-humid ones - and the mildly warm and dry climates are expensive, desirable places usually where most can't afford to relocate to, to begin with.

Last edited by landlock; 05-14-2020 at 08:04 PM..

Old 05-14-2020, 08:05 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,419 times
I enjoy cold weather if I'm moving about. For example, I LOVE to shovel snow. The cold, crisp fresh air is very invigorating and feels wonderful. If I'm just standing or sitting and it's cold, then no, I don't like it that much.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:11 PM

460 posts, read 232,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Do you find the cold to be energizing in some way (I can sort of see this - walking to work on a cold morning can jolt you awake)
Regarding "energizing" morning walk to work...in Northern latitudes where it's really cold in winter, such morning walk is usually going to be in pitch black dark so nothing "energizing" about it, really, just adds to misery. 9-10am sunrise is sure fun. And walk back is going to be in the dark too.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:52 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I enjoy cold weather if I'm moving about. For example, I LOVE to shovel snow.

Same here, I wish I could shovel snow every single winter morning in sub -20C temperatures.

It feels indescribably great just to be outside in the snowy scenery doing some hard work in the bitter cold, day after day. We got some seasons with 60"+ snowfall this past decade and I just kept wishing for more snow and more cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather