Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 01:17 PM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimkin199 View Post
Scandinavian could be hotter than UK, because Scandinavia are shielded by moun6ains. It means more sunshine and hotter temperatures in summer. Stockholm as hot as London in summer, despite higher latitude.

And London gets much warmer in summer than most of the UK. 20C/68F is considered a 'hot' day in much of the UK. That gives you a bit of an idea how the first settlers in Virginia and the Carolinas must have felt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 03:37 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
And London gets much warmer in summer than most of the UK. 20C/68F is considered a 'hot' day in much of the UK. That gives you a bit of an idea how the first settlers in Virginia and the Carolinas must have felt.
Really? I don't know anyone in the UK who would consider 20C "hot", warm perhaps. The midlands & SE England get similar summer temperatures to London & even areas further north & west are not drastically cooler. I guess for someone in Scotland 20C might be considered "hot" at a push.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:43 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,873,231 times
Yeah no-body in England thinks 20°C is hot apart from one or two wind up trolls on UK weather forums. Most people here find 25-30°C starts to be hot.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Really? I don't know anyone in the UK who would consider 20C "hot", warm perhaps. The midlands & SE England get similar summer temperatures to London & even areas further north & west are not drastically cooler. I guess for someone in Scotland 20C might be considered "hot" at a push.

I have some personal experience in the matter. In the Northwest most places along the coast are usually below 20C in the summer. And yes I recall people moaning about how hot it is on days when it's 21C! Check Liverpool's or Burnley's forecast for the next week for instance.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:19 PM

215 posts, read 106,326 times
Quote:
I have some personal experience in the matter. In the Northwest most places along the coast are usually below 20C in the summer. And yes I recall people moaning about how hot it is on days when it's 21C! Check Liverpool's or Burnley's forecast for the next week for instance.
I also feel that 20C is only "hot" when it first happens in April lol. In July its mild at best or straight up chilly at worst, depends on wind, clouds and humidity.

But I also have anecdotal evidence of people thinking 20-21C is a warm summer day. First is people in Norther Estonia. I live in the more continental part of Estonia, its only about 200 km inland, but thats enough to make some difference in the climate. I consider 20-21 mild or cool in summer and decent highs start around 22-23C to me, but I once went to Tallinn(which has the Baltic sea to the north) in early summer. It was just about 20C, quite windy and slightly overcast. I was wearing long sleeves and pants but still felt a bit chilly. Locals were wearing shorts and sundresses and were talking how it was such a pleasant warm day. I guess the Baltic sea is cold in spring and early summer and the sea breeze makes the felt temperatures stay at about 15C in late spring-early summer, so I guess 20C is noticeably warmer compared to that.

Second time was when I was on vacation in Northwestern France on the Atlantic coast. Most beachside towns there also perpetually stay at about 16-20C due to cool breezes and fog coming off the ocean, but I saw quite a few locals enjoying the beach in overcast 17C weather. They were swimming and hanging out on the beach in bathing suits..... yeah, I only swam in the heated pool at out hotel.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I have personal experience in the matter too, I'm British. And I don't know of anyone who would consider 20C "hot", even if they lived "up north". Northern England can still get plenty of temperatures of over 21C during an average summer & even into the 30's sometimes too. Do these people spontaneously combust when it actually gets hot?

Old 06-29-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I have personal experience in the matter too, I'm British. And I don't know of anyone who would consider 20C "hot", even if they lived "up north". Northern England can still get plenty of temperatures of over 21C during an average summer & even into the 30's sometimes too. Do these people spontaneously combust when it actually gets hot?

Well it's not really about how much hotter it can get, but what you would consider 'normal' I imagine. If you're used to it being 17-18 C then 20 can presumably seem hot to someone who may have to wear a suit to work, and take a crowded bus or train. Along the coast the temperature range is much narrower and even fairly minor deviations from the norm are experienced as drastic. Being from a far more continental climate zone myself I always thought it's a bit ridiculous. But to be fair, at the coast you do feel the humidity too so low 20s do feel much warmer than they would otherwise.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Well it's not really about how much hotter it can get, but what you would consider 'normal' I imagine. If you're used to it being 17-18 C then 20 can presumably seem hot to someone who may have to wear a suit to work, and take a crowded bus or train. Along the coast the temperature range is much narrower and even fairly minor deviations from the norm are experienced as drastic. Being from a far more continental climate zone myself I always thought it's a bit ridiculous. But to be fair, at the coast you do feel the humidity too so low 20s do feel much warmer than they would otherwise.
Nobody in the UK thinks 20C is 'hot'! You also seem to think 25 degrees is somehow unheard of in the UK which is odd?

Old 06-30-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
A temperature 2C above average would feel "hot"? I can get that they may think 25C+ could be very warm or hot, if they lived in the coolest parts of the UK. But 20C? No way.

Also not sure what areas you are referring to, as even Blackpool on the NW coast has an average high of 20C in July. Even on the west coast of Scotland, Glasgow has an average high in July of 19C, so I very much doubt anyone there would consider 20C "hot" either...

Old 06-30-2020, 07:26 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,873,231 times
Quote:
I've lived in the UK all my life and not heard anyone say 21 is hot. Also those forecasts for Liverpool and Burnley are well below average (3-4 degrees C below) as is here for next week. It's about to be the coldest start to July in many years maybe decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather