Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2021, 12:11 PM

104 posts, read 109,303 times

Advertisements

Here's how I would subdivide some of them

For CFA, commonly criticized for being too large, I would subdivide it like this:

CFA.A (lower humid subtropical) - CFA climates where the coldest month's average low is 5°C or more (example: central Florida/

CFA.B (upper humid subtropical) - CFA climate zones where the coldest month's average low drops below 8° but still has 8 months of average mean temperatures above 10°C (example: rock hill, SC where I live)

CFA.C (hot-sumner oceanic) - CFA climate zones with less than 8 months of monthly averages mean temperatures above 10°C, what trewartha considers oceanic (example: Washington, DC)

I would also subdivide the tropical climates into "tropical" (places like Miami with slight temperature variation) and "equatorial" (places near the equator with little temperature variation) and with the s, w, m, and f for each

Anyway, what do you think? How would you subdivide köppen's classifications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 02:19 PM

61 posts, read 66,544 times
Default s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyIsAPoser View Post
Here's how I would subdivide some of them

For CFA, commonly criticized for being too large, I would subdivide it like this:

CFA.A (lower humid subtropical) - CFA climates where the coldest month's average low is 5°C or more (example: central Florida/

CFA.B (upper humid subtropical) - CFA climate zones where the coldest month's average low drops below 8° but still has 8 months of average mean temperatures above 10°C (example: rock hill, SC where I live)

CFA.C (hot-sumner oceanic) - CFA climate zones with less than 8 months of monthly averages mean temperatures above 10°C, what trewartha considers oceanic (example: Washington, DC)

I would also subdivide the tropical climates into "tropical" (places like Miami with slight temperature variation) and "equatorial" (places near the equator with little temperature variation) and with the s, w, m, and f for each

Anyway, what do you think? How would you subdivide köppen's classifications?
Since there's not much difference between 21/29C (Miami annual) & 24/31C (Singapore annual), except your tropical climates subdivision, the rest of them sound good. Those places with slight temperature variation are mostly the borderline between subtropics & tropics, that means they are almost cool enough to be subtropics.

Yes, Melbourne is clearly much warmer and sunnier than those cities (London, Amsterdam) in Europe which have real oceanic climate. So I think it's hot-summer oceanic by your subdivision.

And of course, Brisbane is much warmer than northeastern US (south of NYC, Philadelphia) and East Asia (Tokyo). It is more subtropical than those cities in NH. Thus this subdivision is also fine.

Last edited by Avoca33; 05-15-2021 at 02:42 PM..

Old 05-15-2021, 02:39 PM

104 posts, read 109,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avoca33 View Post
Since there's not much difference between 21/29C (Miami annual) & 24/31C (Singapore annual), except your tropical climates subdivision, the rest of them sound good. Those places with slight temperature variation are mostly the borderline between subtropics & tropics.

Yes, Melbourne is clearly much warmer and sunnier than those cities (London, Amsterdam) in Europe which have real oceanic climate. So I think it's hot-summer oceanic by your subdivision.

And of course, Brisbane is much warmer than northeastern US (south of NYC, Philadelphia) and East Asia (Tokyo). It is more subtropical than those cities in NH. Thus this subdivision is also fine.
Anyway you would subdivide other climate zones?

Old 05-16-2021, 06:36 PM

106 posts, read 97,826 times
Maybe subtropical highland climates having their own category? Cwb is kind of a subtropical highland category, but it feels weird for cities like Quito and Bogota being in the same zone as London and Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather