Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate battle: Phoenix vs El Paso
Phoenix 5 26.32%
El Paso 14 73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 01:11 AM

174 posts, read 97,281 times

Advertisements

wow, that puts EP on my radar for places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 07:56 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,156,664 times
I lived in El Paso (in the army), and am quite familiar with Phoenix and Las Vegas. Don't know why the latter even came up in this thread. In any case, for weather I would take El Paso any day of the week. The person claiming El Paso seems similar to Las Vegas is confused.

But if you can't take a little cold in the winter, you won't like EP. Keep in mind its altitude is almost 4000 ft.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:00 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
I lived in El Paso (in the army), and am quite familiar with Phoenix and Las Vegas. Don't know why the latter even came up in this thread. In any case, for weather I would take El Paso any day of the week. The person claiming El Paso seems similar to Las Vegas is confused.

But if you can't take a little cold in the winter, you won't like EP. Keep in mind its altitude is almost 4000 ft.
I think Las Vegas came up because El Paso and Las Vegas have pretty similar average temps between October and May (only June thru September is warmer in Las Vegas, since they get a much weaker monsoon, combined with longer days due to being further north)

Old 07-25-2021, 08:57 AM

189 posts, read 117,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think Las Vegas came up because El Paso and Las Vegas have pretty similar average temps between October and May (only June thru September is warmer in Las Vegas, since they get a much weaker monsoon, combined with longer days due to being further north)
This just highlights how it is a superior climate to Vegas imo.

I think it is the best of the 3 including Phoenix. You're basically getting occasional "cold days" in the winter for an overall more tolerable summer.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:06 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distracted85 View Post
This just highlights how it is a superior climate to Vegas imo.

I think it is the best of the 3 including Phoenix. You're basically getting occasional "cold days" in the winter for an overall more tolerable summer.
El Paso does get more snow and freezes than Las Vegas, they are two hardiness zones lower too, Vegas is Zone 9B, El Paso is Zone 8B

Old 07-25-2021, 09:35 AM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Having lived in both cities I have a little perspective on this subject. Phoenix is just too hot for too many months. There are stretches in the summer where its hotter at night in Phoenix than it is in the daytime in El Paso. El Paso has hot but manageable summers and mild winters overall. Yes occasionally they get a cold blast and some snow. But if its going to get cold it will happen December to February and be short lived.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:45 AM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
El Paso does get more snow and freezes than Las Vegas, they are two hardiness zones lower too, Vegas is Zone 9B, El Paso is Zone 8B
El Paso is more susceptible to the arctic cold fronts that come down during the winter in the middle of the country. The stronger ones will make it all the way to El Paso. Phoenix and Las Vegas are blocked by all the mountain ranges in between.

One other thing that is different with El Paso and Phoenix or Las Vegas. Summer night time lows are up to 10 degrees cooler. You don't get the mid 80s low 90's low temps in the summer in El Paso.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
El Paso has better summers but Phoenix is better the rest of the year so Phoenix it is.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:08 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,918,883 times
Ofc El Paso, it's better like in every way possible, like an improved version of a similar climate. It's only drag I think is that it's more prone to unseasonal warm spells in winter than Phoenix, but i'm not 100 percent sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather