Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: -3 C or 0 C
-3 C 12 25.53%
0 C 35 74.47%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 05:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
It’s a scientific fact “snow cold” is easier to handle than “rain cold”. Multiple people from cold countries have told me Melbourne feels colder at the same temperature, You don’t need to go outside to know. I’ve been to Canberra and the cold was less oppressive there. Also, what’s it like living in a small town where seeing a non-white person is as rare as a unicorn? Must be sad.
The simple explanation is that a 8C day would be 2-3C warmer than the average maximum in Belgrade during winter, while in Melbourne, an 8C day would be 5-7C colder than the average maximum during winter - not rocket science, and no need to evoke mysterious properties of cold that only afflict Melbourne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2023, 06:07 PM

901 posts, read 348,242 times
Quote:
It’s a scientific fact “snow cold” is easier to handle than “rain cold”. Multiple people from cold countries have told me Melbourne feels colder at the same temperature, You don’t need to go outside to know. I’ve been to Canberra and the cold was less oppressive there. Also, what’s it like living in a small town where seeing a non-white person is as rare as a unicorn? Must be sad.
Only if the rain and snow are at similar temperatures - i.e. 2 C sleety rain vs 2 C snow. Sleet has a distinct 'sting' to it and is generally more oppressive than snow...but pure liquid rain at 5 C ?? LOL no, not even close. But then again, I doubt you even know what sleet is, let alone experienced it...

And I am very much content with my town's lack of non-white peoples, for I am racist and proud. Are you by any chance deriving from the Cigani (Gypsy) ?!

Old 10-27-2023, 07:12 PM

421 posts, read 222,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
Only if the rain and snow are at similar temperatures - i.e. 2 C sleety rain vs 2 C snow. Sleet has a distinct 'sting' to it and is generally more oppressive than snow...but pure liquid rain at 5 C ?? LOL no, not even close. But then again, I doubt you even know what sleet is, let alone experienced it...

And I am very much content with my town's lack of non-white peoples, for I am racist and proud. Are you by any chance deriving from the Cigani (Gypsy) ?!
I have more ethnic friends than you have seen in your life, you country whitey. Only reason people like you are so racist is because your wife cheated on you with a sexy ethnic man. The only reason why you like snow is because it matches your skin tone. Tell an African American man from Chicago about how much you love cold weather and they’ll laugh while experiencing temperatures that’ll make you die from hypothermia for 3+ months. And yes I know what sleet is because I experienced it in Bendigo when I visited my relatives. It’s a scientific fact that snow cold feels better than rain cold.

Old 10-28-2023, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I have more ethnic friends than you have seen in your life, you country whitey. Only reason people like you are so racist is because your wife cheated on you with a sexy ethnic man. The only reason why you like snow is because it matches your skin tone. Tell an African American man from Chicago about how much you love cold weather and they’ll laugh while experiencing temperatures that’ll make you die from hypothermia for 3+ months. And yes I know what sleet is because I experienced it in Bendigo when I visited my relatives. It’s a scientific fact that snow cold feels better than rain cold.
Calm down, I can smell the curry through the screen

aaaanyways... how bout you show me this 'scientific fact' of yours? Provide me with a citation that supports your ridiculous claim of -2 C snow feeling 'warmer' than 5 C rain.

Old 10-28-2023, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Calm down, I can smell the curry through the screen

aaaanyways... how bout you show me this 'scientific fact' of yours? Provide me with a citation that supports your ridiculous claim of -2 C snow feeling 'warmer' than 5 C rain.
OK Racist, what if i told you white people don't have culture. I can smell the mayo, take a shower, please!.

Also "Though these temperatures arent as cold as winters experienced in other countries, such as yours, it can feel colder in Melbourne due to extended periods of rainfall and cold winds coming from the south. I have experienced below zero and snowing in Europe and its feels warmer than Melbourne. The winds are the problem here, they are what we call lazy winds, they go through you, not around you." - TripAdvisor. "When it's raining, the air is often humid, which can make the cold feel more penetrating. The moisture in the air can make you feel colder than the actual temperature. On the other hand, when it's snowing, the air tends to be drier, and snow can provide some insulation, creating a barrier between the cold air and your body. This may make the cold feel less intense compared to a rainy environment." - Poe.com "Canberra is colder temperature-wise but it’s not as grey and drizzly. Overnight temperatures are regularly below zero and the early mornings are cold but then there’s usually a lot of sunshine during the day. I’ve lived here for over ten years now and each time I go home to Melbourne in the winter I’m surprised by how cold it is there - the temperature might be a few degrees warmer than in Canberra but Melbourne cold feels much damper and when there’s a wind it really gets into your bones. A good coat/gloves and a good doona and you’ll be fine" - Reddit (WesterlyWX, this includes YOU, because Corryong is closer to Canberra).

Old 10-28-2023, 03:41 AM

Quote:
OK Racist, what if i told you white people don't have culture. I can smell the mayo, take a shower, please!.

Also "Though these temperatures arent as cold as winters experienced in other countries, such as yours, it can feel colder in Melbourne due to extended periods of rainfall and cold winds coming from the south. I have experienced below zero and snowing in Europe and its feels warmer than Melbourne. The winds are the problem here, they are what we call lazy winds, they go through you, not around you." - TripAdvisor. "When it's raining, the air is often humid, which can make the cold feel more penetrating. The moisture in the air can make you feel colder than the actual temperature. On the other hand, when it's snowing, the air tends to be drier, and snow can provide some insulation, creating a barrier between the cold air and your body. This may make the cold feel less intense compared to a rainy environment." - Poe.com "Canberra is colder temperature-wise but it’s not as grey and drizzly. Overnight temperatures are regularly below zero and the early mornings are cold but then there’s usually a lot of sunshine during the day. I’ve lived here for over ten years now and each time I go home to Melbourne in the winter I’m surprised by how cold it is there - the temperature might be a few degrees warmer than in Canberra but Melbourne cold feels much damper and when there’s a wind it really gets into your bones. A good coat/gloves and a good doona and you’ll be fine" - Reddit (WesterlyWX, this includes YOU, because Corryong is closer to Canberra).
Hmmm let's see here...

Source 1: TripAdvisor - a tourism website !

Source 2: Poe.com - an AI chat generator ()

Step aside, Nature Journal. These oh-so prestigious publications listed above are without a doubt the pinnacle of peer-reviewed literature

Corryong is CLOUDIER than Melbourne in the winter, and by a great margin. Furthermore, Corryong in July barely manages half the sunshine of Canberra! Geez mate, do your research already and stop embarrassing yourself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corryong#Climate

Last edited by WesterlyWX; 10-28-2023 at 03:51 AM..

Old 10-28-2023, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Hmmm let's see here...

Source 1: TripAdvisor - a tourism website !

Source 2: Poe.com - an AI chat generator ()

Step aside, Nature Journal. These oh-so prestigious publications listed above are without a doubt the pinnacle of peer-reviewed literature

Corryong is CLOUDIER than Melbourne in the winter, and by a great margin. Furthermore, Corryong in July barely manages half the sunshine of Canberra! Geez mate, do your research already and stop embarrassing yourself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corryong#Climate
Look again, 3 sources. Also Melbourne Airport ain’t representative of all of Melbourne sunshine hours. Like East/South Melbourne (where most live) is significantly less sunny. Also, Y’all don’t get the Antarctic winds and sea breezes we get in Melbourne because being hugely inland protects you from that.

Old 10-28-2023, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Look again, 3 sources. Also Melbourne Airport ain’t representative of all of Melbourne sunshine hours. Like East/South Melbourne (where most live) is significantly less sunny. Also, Y’all don’t get the Antarctic winds and sea breezes we get in Melbourne because being hugely inland protects you from that.
Just saw the third 'source'... REDDIT !

Where is this data for East/South Melbourne that shows a significant drop in winter sun as you claim? Please provide it. If anything the south of Melbourne is even more sheltered than the north, which tends to be higher in elevation and more exposed to westerlies. And Corryong may not be as windy as Melbourne, but in turn is much colder due to the heavier cloud cover mentioned earlier; when the post-frontal W/WSW cloud mass dominates, Melbourne and East Gippsland are the only areas in VIC which remain sunny - and therefore much, much warmer than areas to the north and west of the Yarras i.e. on the upwind. Corryong can be as much as 7 C colder than Melbourne on such days. That's why Ballarat is so much colder than Melbourne in maxima - it's not just the elevation (only a 300m difference between Melbourne Airport and Ballarat).

Old 10-28-2023, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Just saw the third 'source'... REDDIT !

Where is this data for East/South Melbourne that shows a significant drop in winter sun as you claim? Please provide it. If anything the south of Melbourne is even more sheltered than the north, which tends to be higher in elevation and more exposed to westerlies. And Corryong may not be as windy as Melbourne, but in turn is much colder due to the heavier cloud cover mentioned earlier; when the post-frontal W/WSW cloud mass dominates, Melbourne and East Gippsland are the only areas in VIC which remain sunny - and therefore much, much warmer than areas to the north and west of the Yarras i.e. on the upwind. Corryong can be as much as 7 C colder than Melbourne on such days. That's why Ballarat is so much colder than Melbourne in maxima - it's not just the elevation (only a 300m difference between Melbourne Airport and Ballarat).
East/South Melbourne gets the seabreezes that areas north of the Yarra don’t get. Also East is quite high in elevation along with North, only South is quite flat. Also Laverton (west Melbourne) gets warmer winters than Scoresby (east Melbourne)

Old 10-28-2023, 11:20 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
We get Antarctic winds that y’all avoid cuz y’all ain’t near the sea unlike us Melburnians, sure y’all get better winters but at least we got multiculturalism, I bet you haven’t seen a non-white person outside of your TV. But yeah, Melbourne feels colder than many colder places cuz of the Antarctic winds, my uncle from Serbia, who experienced Belgrade winters said Melbourne “is a different cold” and “feels colder”, same as my German coworker from Munich, same as some Irish person I knew, Melbourne feels colder at the same temperature, accept it.
Belgrade, Munich, and Dublin, are all comparable to Melbourne for wind speed in their respective coldest month. Allowing for different latitudes, and Melbourne is the sunniest out of the four cities during winter - this "different cold" can't be explained by wind and cloud cover.

Any other theories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather