Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: -3 C or 0 C
-3 C 12 25.53%
0 C 35 74.47%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 06:04 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
Yea ? Give us some examples then...shouldn't be too hard given your great level of confidence in that claim. For bonus points, try look for climates poleward of the 35th parallel i.e., in the temperate zone. If I were to play Paddy for a moment, I would say that the US does NOT have colder winters than Australia, because Florida has warmer winters than QLD :^ D You see what you're doing now, old boy? --you're trying to invalidate my claim by only using tropical and deep subtropical climates, as these regions have no influence from the higher latitude zones (the Subantarctic low pressure belt in AUS; and the Subarctic high pressure in the US).

And Australia is 'known worldwide to get hot summers', as a STEREOTYPE ! What next, snow is only found on the highest mountains/Australia gets no snow at all/Australia is all desert? Why do you put credibility, into lies propagated by foreigners? Why must you belittle your own nation in this manner? Shameful.
So pretty much limited to the State of Victoria which is going to be anything within 250 miles are so from the coast meaning it’s going to have strong oceanic influences from the Southern Ocean, obviously the summers there are going to be moderated. But why are we even discussing this if the topic is which isotherm to use to distinguish D / continental climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 07:00 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
So pretty much limited to the State of Victoria which is going to be anything within 250 miles are so from the coast meaning it’s going to have strong oceanic influences from the Southern Ocean, obviously the summers there are going to be moderated. But why are we even discussing this if the topic is which isotherm to use to distinguish D / continental climates.
This thread is all part of the OP's curious scheme to portray Australia as being the milquetoast of the weather world.

Old 07-05-2023, 08:23 PM

901 posts, read 345,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Uhm, no. I also include places like Deniliquin in Southwest NSW which are as far away from the coast as you can get. Even then, 250mi is a LONG WAY from the bloody coast. You see, that's the thing with cold airmasses-- you don't need to be anywhere near the coast to be influenced by them.

This discussion was bought up initially by someone else pointing out that Kiandra has Lapland-like summers, to which I agreed and emphasised on...this consequently threw Paddy into a fit of rage. And so began our fight.

Last edited by WesterlyWX; 07-05-2023 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-05-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
This thread is all part of the OP's curious scheme to portray Australia as being the milquetoast of the weather world.
Quite the opposite...just because summers are cooler relative to latitude, doesn't imply 'milquetoast'. Stable heat/warmth is boring, which is why US summers are boring. Southern AUS summers are much more fun than anywhere in the NH due to the susceptibility to cold fronts at any time of the year. I love swingy frontal weather. And so to me, it's painting AUS in a GOOD light.

Old 07-06-2023, 01:13 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Yea ? Give us some examples then...shouldn't be too hard given your great level of confidence in that claim. For bonus points, try look for climates poleward of the 35th parallel i.e., in the temperate zone. If I were to play Paddy for a moment, I would say that the US does NOT have colder winters than Australia, because Florida has warmer winters than QLD :^ D You see what you're doing now, old boy? --you're trying to invalidate my claim by only using tropical and deep subtropical climates, as these regions have no influence from the higher latitude zones (the Subantarctic low pressure belt in AUS; and the Subarctic high pressure in the US).

And Australia is 'known worldwide to get hot summers', as a STEREOTYPE ! What next, snow is only found on the highest mountains/Australia gets no snow at all/Australia is all desert? Why do you put credibility, into lies propagated by foreigners? Why must you belittle your own nation in this manner? Shameful.
Start a new thread if you want to discuss this further

Old 07-09-2023, 08:43 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
if we use the -3 isotherm, then what happens to someplace like Erie PA? A quintessential four-season humid continental climate.. It becomes.. subtropical? A place with 265cm snowfall per year is subtropical?

Chicago and Detroit are both within half a degree of the -3 isotherm, so they are borderline subtropical also??

Old 07-09-2023, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
if we use the -3 isotherm, then what happens to someplace like Erie PA? A quintessential four-season humid continental climate.. It becomes.. subtropical? A place with 265cm snowfall per year is subtropical?

Chicago and Detroit are both within half a degree of the -3 isotherm, so they are borderline subtropical also??
Yea-- it becomes Cfa, not 'subtropical'. Two very different things. Koppen's 'Humid Subtropical', is a poor translation which was actually intended to mean 'climate of no dry-season below the tropics'-- meaning anywhere from the tropics to the polar circles. Cfa was a 'hot-summer temperate climate'; Cfb a 'mild/warm-summer temperate climate'; Cfc a 'cool/cold-summer temperate climate'. Which means the subtropics have absolutely nothing to do with his system. The D group is strictly winter, but in the same temperate zone ('continental' = 'cold-winter temperate climate'); whereas E was beyond the temperate zone and into the polar circles, and entirely unrelated to either the D or C groups.

To be subtropical a location MUST be within the Horse Latitudes i.e, strictly 23.5 to 35 degrees of latitude. Also known as the sub-torrid zone. While Mediterranean Europe has some very warm annual temperatures in its southern reaches, it simply isn't subtropical by the textbook definition-- subtropical, would be North Africa.

Last edited by WesterlyWX; 07-09-2023 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-09-2023, 09:38 PM

5,722 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Yea-- it becomes Cfa, not 'subtropical'. Two very different things. Koppen's 'Humid Subtropical', is a poor translation which was actually intended to mean 'climate of no dry-season below the tropics'-- meaning anywhere from the tropics to the polar circles. Cfa was a 'hot-summer temperate climate'; Cfb a 'mild/warm-summer temperate climate'; Cfc a 'cool/cold-summer temperate climate'. Which means the subtropics have absolutely nothing to do with his system. The D group is strictly winter, but in the same temperate zone; whereas E was beyond the temperate zone and into the polar circles, and thereby completely unrelated to either the D or C groups.

To be subtropical a location MUST be within the Horse Latitudes i.e, strictly 23.5 to 35 degrees of latitude. Also known as the sub-torrid zone. While Mediterranean Europe has some very warm annual temperatures in its southern reaches, it simply isn't subtropical by the textbook definition-- subtropical, would be North Africa.
Now that's something I can agree with you on!

Old 07-10-2023, 01:49 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Yea-- it becomes Cfa, not 'subtropical'. Two very different things. Koppen's 'Humid Subtropical', is a poor translation which was actually intended to mean 'climate of no dry-season below the tropics'-- meaning anywhere from the tropics to the polar circles. Cfa was a 'hot-summer temperate climate'; Cfb a 'mild/warm-summer temperate climate'; Cfc a 'cool/cold-summer temperate climate'. Which means the subtropics have absolutely nothing to do with his system. The D group is strictly winter, but in the same temperate zone ('continental' = 'cold-winter temperate climate'); whereas E was beyond the temperate zone and into the polar circles, and entirely unrelated to either the D or C groups.

That makes no sense. Southern Europe is warmer than Many Subtropical climates around the world. Are you seriously implying that Greece and it's Islands which has an annual mean warmer than much of Subtropical Australia isn't Subtropical simply because it doesn't fit the right latitude? Lol. Cmon mate you clearly don't know enough about Southern Europe's climate.

It doesn't matter what Cfa was labeled many years ago. It's what people refer to it now. I don't agree with Koppen on every single climate aswell however I can tell you it's still better than any climate classification we amateur's have put forward on here. How silly would it be if we simply said that subtropical climates exclusively refer to latitude rather than temperature threshold. That would mean a climate like Perth fits nicely in the latitude threshold while a climate like Athens and Nicosia doesn't make the cut even though they are warmer. It makes no sense mate. We are talking about a part of Europe that gets mean temperatures similar to 28° S in Western Australia lol.

What about Southern Spain? Sicily etc? How they do not make the cut but Perth and Sydney do?

Tell me what would YOU consider to be subtropical. What temperature range?

Old 07-10-2023, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
[/b]

That makes no sense. Southern Europe is warmer than Many Subtropical climates around the world. Are you seriously implying that Greece and it's Islands which has an annual mean warmer than much of Subtropical Australia isn't Subtropical simply because it doesn't fit the right latitude? Lol. Cmon mate you clearly don't know enough about Southern Europe's climate.

It doesn't matter what Cfa was labeled many years ago. It's what people refer to it now. I don't agree with Koppen on every single climate aswell however I can tell you it's still better than any climate classification we amateur's have put forward on here. How silly would it be if we simply said that subtropical climates exclusively refer to latitude rather than temperature threshold. That would mean a climate like Perth fits nicely in the latitude threshold while a climate like Athens and Nicosia doesn't make the cut even though they are warmer. It makes no sense mate. We are talking about a part of Europe that gets mean temperatures similar to 28° S in Western Australia lol.

What about Southern Spain? Sicily etc? How they do not make the cut but Perth and Sydney do?

Tell me what would YOU consider to be subtropical. What temperature range?
Bit of a misunderstanding here-- I wasn't outlining my personal definition of 'subtropical', but rather the textbook definition. My post was simply describing what Koppen REALLY meant by 'subtropical', and how wildly it differed from the textbook 'subtropical' we all seem to default to when hearing that word (Brisbane, and so forth). Koppen's 'subtropical', is a hot-summer TEMPERATE climate and nothing to do with the sub-torrid zone. That's literally it.

As for my personal definition... https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...ification.html <-- Athens very easily fits the bill for a subtropical temperature profile in my books, having an impressive 6 months above 20 C (my requirement is > 5 months). The explanations are all in that thread of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather