Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 08:35 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,250,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
Climate change is making Perth winterless . I feel for the cold weather lovers over there. At least y'all got a good June.

Why would anyone who likes cold weather live in Perth to begin with? Perth's normal winter temps are basically normal summer temps in Scotland and Ireland. I reckon most people moving there consider the warm climate an attraction and part of why they move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 03:38 PM

421 posts, read 222,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Why would anyone who likes cold weather live in Perth to begin with? Perth's normal winter temps are basically normal summer temps in Scotland and Ireland. I reckon most people moving there consider the warm climate an attraction and part of why they move there.
I'm sure some people born there enjoy below 20C (Which would be cold there). I was born in Melbourne for example and wish we had freezing winters with snow more akin to New York or Toronto. I'm sure some Perrthians that were born there want that and would want to move to other places.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:48 AM

2,936 posts, read 1,314,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
True. Some Irish and Brits who come here do get a bit of a shock when it only hits 15°C or 16°C for a few days in winter however they soon realise how warm it can actually get with temperatures going into the 20°C+ quite regularly not to mention Perth winters are significantly sunnier percentage wise than Irish and UK summers so there is that aspect. Brisbane in winter is a whole other level however. Sunnier and warmer than even a Southern English summer.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
True. Some Irish and Brits who come here do get a bit of a shock when it only hits 15°C or 16°C for a few days in winter however they soon realise how warm it can actually get with temperatures going into the 20°C+ quite regularly not to mention Perth winters are significantly sunnier percentage wise than Irish and UK summers so there is that aspect. Brisbane in winter is a whole other level however. Sunnier and warmer than even a Southern English summer.

I always kinda took WA to be the California of Australia and Queensland the Florida of California. Obviously not 100% analogous, but it's like if you want to be sure that you can head to the swimming pool at Christmas you go to Miami, not L.A. where it might be a rainy 18-19C. Similarly I feel like if you want a relatively 'sure thing' for pool weather in July in Australia you'd go to Queensland.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:08 AM

5,742 posts, read 3,517,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
^Yea, just like their autumn outlook what a stunning display of accuracy that was

IMO. 60/40 chance that late spring ends up cooler than average.
Their winter outlook was pretty good though.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:30 PM

That should obviously say Queensland is the "Florida of Australia" in my last post. Can't edit it at this point though.

Old 09-01-2023, 03:57 PM

901 posts, read 348,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Except for the rainfall. Winter turned out much wetter than was forecast, especially June and July across VIC, SA and inland areas of Southern NSW.

Old 09-01-2023, 05:54 PM

1,226 posts, read 724,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
The BoM winter rainfall map shows the record June rainfall in the tropics and well below average rain in most of the south east and western coastal WA

Old 09-01-2023, 06:06 PM

901 posts, read 348,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
The BoM winter rainfall map shows the record June rainfall in the tropics and well below average rain in most of the south east and western coastal WA
The current sat pic of the southern mainland doesn't strike me as particularly 'dry'...at all really. As green as ever in the usual windward areas, and flaxen in the usual Monaro and east coastal plain regions.

Notice also how Melbourne is the outlier in VIC...take note veshyvonny Mildura is almost greener than Melbourne lol.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:19 PM

421 posts, read 222,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
The current sat pic of the southern mainland doesn't strike me as particularly 'dry'...at all really. As green as ever in the usual windward areas, and flaxen in the usual Monaro and east coastal plain regions.

Notice also how Melbourne is the outlier in VIC...take note veshyvonny Mildura is almost greener than Melbourne lol.
Melbourne is less green becaue of the houses and buildings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather