Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 09:23 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

https://www.myperfectweather.com

This is a fun website to use to determine an ideal area. Comfortable days only let’s you sort by temperature and max dew point (no minimum dew point for us rain lovers) but using that and in coordination with the other filters can help you figure out a place.

I moved from a deep blue area on this map (Maricopa County AZ) to a yellow county (Gwinnett County Georgia) and I can confirm that north Georgia has much more appealing weather overall. Pacific Northwest ranks high but, I think their rain patterns are backwards, if it was a wet summer and a dry winter I’d be in…. They have the opposite though so the rain happens when it’s cold and it sucks. The Southeast has rains in the summer which I like a lot more.

This map also confirms that Florida ain’t it and neither would Nebraska… something I already know. But I was surprised at how much the NE and Midwest had green and yellow areas. For them the snow would be my turn off. If the snow wasn’t a turnoff, I’d be in Vermont. Or Maryland.
Attached Thumbnails
What Is Your Ideal Weather?-image001.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 09:43 AM

1,069 posts, read 787,201 times
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I prefer dry climates, which also makes for a wider range of comfortable temperatures. Will gladly take 50F in the dry desert over 60F on the coast. Hence the large yellow/orange area in the intermountain west that has the most number of comfortable days for me.
Attached Thumbnails
What Is Your Ideal Weather?-comfortweather.png  

Old 10-04-2023, 10:13 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I prefer dry climates, which also makes for a wider range of comfortable temperatures. Will gladly take 50F in the dry desert over 60F on the coast. Hence the large yellow/orange area in the intermountain west that has the most number of comfortable days for me.
I see you live in Boise… which is yellow on your map also. Do you feel that Boise fits what you like? It’s true that deserts allow for more temperature variance, but also because of that, growing up out there places like Flagstaff were cold to me on even a summer night… I want my summer nights warm!

I wish where I live was more mild in temperature and a lot more rainy… 60s-80s and rainy. Overall though, it’s pretty nice. So it is mostly accurate except for the part where places in Maine were also yellow that’s just not accurate haha.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:17 AM

280 posts, read 55,037 times
12°C with very low humidity and sun with scattered clouds and no wind, best weather in the world.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:42 AM

1,069 posts, read 787,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I see you live in Boise… which is yellow on your map also. Do you feel that Boise fits what you like? It’s true that deserts allow for more temperature variance, but also because of that, growing up out there places like Flagstaff were cold to me on even a summer night… I want my summer nights warm!

I wish where I live was more mild in temperature and a lot more rainy… 60s-80s and rainy. Overall though, it’s pretty nice. So it is mostly accurate except for the part where places in Maine were also yellow that’s just not accurate haha.
Boise is pretty close to my ideal climate. I would maybe prefer a little colder and more snow during winter, but my wife wouldn't like that, so Boise is a good compromise.

Our summer nights are not cool. The hottest part of a summer day is around 6-7pm, and then it gradually cools off overnight. So let's say it's 95F at 7pm. By 10pm it'll be in the high 80s, and by sunrise it should be around 60-65. Mid-day might be something like the mid 80s. One of the things I love about Boise is walking around town at night in shorts and flip-flops, which wasn't very nice in coastal California where I grew up because the marine layer would move in around 4pm, very damp and cold.

Between the high humidity and wind, I find the coastal areas of NorCal way less comfortable. It just saps the heat out something terrible. Whereas it can be 30F in Boise, but because it's sunny, low humidity, and little wind, I'm just fine going around in a sweater or light jacket.

On the map I posted, I'm now curious about the little patch of yellow along the coast near the CA/OR boarder. Wonder if anyone can tell me what's up with that?

Old 10-04-2023, 11:25 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Depends on the season.

Here's the temps I like per month

J 20s to 0s
F 30s to 10s
M 50s to 20s
A 70s to 30s
M 80s to 40s
J 90s to 60s
J 90s to 70s
A 90s to 60s
S 80s to 40s
O 60s to 30s
N 50s to 20s
D 30s to 10s

I like an occasional arctic blast in winter, and heatwave in summer, but not to dominate the whole season. I love good healthy rain in spring, heavy thunderstorms in summer, gloomy drizzle and fog in autumn, nice fluffy snow in winter with the occasional snowstorm.

I do like plenty of sunshine and partly cloudy days as well. Nothing monotnous.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:54 PM

901 posts, read 346,994 times
The state of Victoria and southern NSW destroys any of those places on the map with regards to comfort. Sorry.

Nowhere in the US gets say 38 C one day, then 16 C the next (and that drop happening in less than a few hours). That is the very definition, of refreshing and comfortable. Summer cold fronts, are key to comfort.

Old 10-04-2023, 02:01 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
https://www.myperfectweather.com

This is a fun website to use to determine an ideal area. Comfortable days only let’s you sort by temperature and max dew point (no minimum dew point for us rain lovers) but using that and in coordination with the other filters can help you figure out a place.

I moved from a deep blue area on this map (Maricopa County AZ) to a yellow county (Gwinnett County Georgia) and I can confirm that north Georgia has much more appealing weather overall. Pacific Northwest ranks high but, I think their rain patterns are backwards, if it was a wet summer and a dry winter I’d be in…. They have the opposite though so the rain happens when it’s cold and it sucks. The Southeast has rains in the summer which I like a lot more.

This map also confirms that Florida ain’t it and neither would Nebraska… something I already know. But I was surprised at how much the NE and Midwest had green and yellow areas. For them the snow would be my turn off. If the snow wasn’t a turnoff, I’d be in Vermont. Or Maryland.
See that red spot in Tennessee... I had a place there on a ridge. We'd say wait two weeks for a different season. The weather was not the best in spite of what the chart suggests. It could be in the 50-60's in the summer and 100+ the next day. Always found it hard to get used to, but don't get me wrong, when it was nice it was damn nice, but it was crazy. Winter, 70* one day... 12" of snow the next.

Me... I prefer 85*, mostly sunny with a breeze. This is why I like Florida.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:17 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
ideal right now.
an old TV weatherman used to say:
"enjoy today's weather. it's the only weather you got."

Old 10-04-2023, 04:53 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
A hurricane every month and 10" of rain a week and real winters like i used to have in the 1980's. I like change not boring sun and no rain all year like i get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather