Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 12:16 PM

17 posts, read 7,104 times

Advertisements

Do you think that as climate change makes our winters milder, winter in Seattle will be comparable to that of, say, Crescent city, CA? Our winters are already similar but notably colder.

I'm predicting that in a few decades, winter high temps in the 50s and lows in the 40s will become even more common, and days reaching 60 will become more common as well. But our winters will stay wet, they will just be mild and wet like Crescent city and areas nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 12:50 PM

83 posts, read 69,538 times
Yes, that seems to be a reasonable conclusion. Same thing on the East Coast. NYC winters are probably like the DC winters of yore.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:48 PM

17 posts, read 7,104 times
Yeah. I should mention that Crescent city has cool summers heavily influenced by the Pacific ocean.

In Seattle, our summers are already hotter than Crescent city, and they will keep getting hotter. So while our winters may start to resemble their mild winters, our summers will not be mild in the slightest. I'm not sure what region our summers will be like in the future, maybe the southern Willamette valley, or Gold hill area of southwestern oregon.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman081920 View Post
Yeah. I should mention that Crescent city has cool summers heavily influenced by the Pacific ocean.

In Seattle, our summers are already hotter than Crescent city, and they will keep getting hotter. So while our winters may start to resemble their mild winters, our summers will not be mild in the slightest. I'm not sure what region our summers will be like in the future, maybe the southern Willamette valley, or Gold hill area of southwestern oregon.
I would say that while your winters will get milder, they will always have more variation than Crescent city's, so while the averages may eventually be similar, the temperature swings will keep the average yearly minimum lower. One thing I'm excited about with the warming winters would be the cultivation of more palms in the PNW. It would be cool to see Canary Island Date Palms in Seattle.

How long this will take, or if it will ever happen, I don't know. 50-100 years?

Old 12-14-2023, 11:36 PM

638 posts, read 348,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegurr View Post
Yes, that seems to be a reasonable conclusion. Same thing on the East Coast. NYC winters are probably like the DC winters of yore.
Climate is warming in winter. You bring up a good example.

NYC has basically had no snow in 2 years. Think about that. The outcome remains to be seen though.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:24 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
I would say that while your winters will get milder, they will always have more variation than Crescent city's, so while the averages may eventually be similar, the temperature swings will keep the average yearly minimum lower. One thing I'm excited about with the warming winters would be the cultivation of more palms in the PNW. It would be cool to see Canary Island Date Palms in Seattle.

How long this will take, or if it will ever happen, I don't know. 50-100 years?
I'd say 100-200 years until winters are as mild as Crescent City's, but we'll see...

Old 12-15-2023, 12:06 PM

901 posts, read 346,994 times
America hasn't warmed at all in winter compared to Southern Australia. In the early twentieth century, Australian winters were as cold and snowy as those in the SE US at the same latitude (35, 36, 37 deg of latitude). Snow used to be a very widespread feature of our Lucky Country, and our skiing industry used to be top notch. That unfortunately is no longer the case due to Global Boiling targeting Australian winters in particular, with many sites having warmed more than 2 C in just 50 years.
:^ (

See my thread for the cold hard evidence- https://www.city-data.com/forum/weat...ed-faster.html

Last edited by WesterlyWX; 12-15-2023 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-15-2023, 12:08 PM

901 posts, read 346,994 times
Quote:
What a load of rubbish. Eastern US winters only seem to be getting colder from here on, whereas Southern Australia suffers under record winter heat year after year. It's not fair. Youse are lucky as.

Old 12-16-2023, 03:01 AM

208 posts, read 152,429 times
No. The winters of Seattle will not become milder because climate change is a hoax. Maybe urban heat island might make it a little warmer but not as much as crescent city’s.

Old 12-16-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
What a load of rubbish. Eastern US winters only seem to be getting colder from here on, whereas Southern Australia suffers under record winter heat year after year. It's not fair. Youse are lucky as.
Why do you think Eastern US winters are getting colder? They're not, they're getting warmer if we're going by averages. Januaries have warmed by 1.6f when comparing 1971-2000 and 1991-2020 averages. Decembers have warmed by 1.8f and Februaries by 1.3f.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather