Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:56 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times

Advertisements

Here in the PNW our summer has so far been VERY NICE indeed, but our spring was cold and wet and I'd almost given up the hope that we would even HAVE a summer this year.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 PM

927 posts, read 1,950,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Here in the PNW our summer has so far been VERY NICE indeed, but our spring was cold and wet and I'd almost given up the hope that we would even HAVE a summer this year.

Ken
As has ours in the mid Willamette Valley. After a near record cold March and April with Avogadro's number of rainy days (not really, it only seemed like it), May managed to crawl to within a few degrees of seasonal norms - only because of a brief mid month heat wave that softened brass doorknobs all over western Oregon.
June was abysmally cold and while not especially wet, was also as gloomy as any Alaskan Panhandle December dawn could be.
This month, however we seem to have had a reversal. According to our nearby weather station we've been averaging close to 5 degrees above climatological norms, have had only two days with measurable rain and a string of sunny days I thought impossible a few months ago. The long range models still have us with a cooler than normal summer but right now, our weather is ideal.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:14 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,831,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
It started off decently rainy in early June, now has dried up quite a bit... our grass is looking a bit yellow and feeling a bit crunchy to the touch.
Being that Chicago is in the southern Great Lakes like us, I'm a little surpised that you're so dry.

In June, Toronto (probably) had this:

20-24 days with some measureable rain,
12-15 days with more than .25" (8 mm)
8-12 days with more than .5" (12.5 mm)
5-8 days with more than .75" (20 mm)
1-3 days with rain anywhere from 1.5" or higher.

Lawn sprinklers are nearly useless, but then again it means planning trips to the zoo, amusement parks, picnics etc. cannot be made in less than 48 hours notice if you want to catch the rare dry-day or brief dry-spell. Basically any event you plan a week or more ahead, even if it's only lasts for an afternoon has a 50% chance of a rainout. There is no good time to avoid the rain... So far.

*Looking back and those figures and doing the math, it seems I might have overestimated how much rain we had, but I work outdoors and that's how it looked, as the puddles were deeper than that every time it rained. Our normal rainfall is about 3 inches, roughly, but we've had more like 5-7 inches spread over 20+ days.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,905,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Being that Chicago is in the southern Great Lakes like us, I'm a little surpised that you're so dry.

In June, Toronto (probably) had this:

20-24 days with some measureable rain,
12-15 days with more than .25" (8 mm)
8-12 days with more than .5" (12.5 mm)
5-8 days with more than .75" (20 mm)
1-3 days with rain anywhere from 1.5" or higher.
bloody hell, that is miserable!!!! So far this "crappy" winter we've had like 15 days with measurable rain!

In a typial summer month we usually see 2-5 raindays with a total of about 15-20mm, but this can vary alot depending on where you are in Melbourne as they usually come in heavy showers so its a hit or miss. ALso, most of the rain comes from the north in summer but there is a ring of hills stretching from the coast to the north of the city so showers tend to cark it as they encounter this. The grassy plains to the west of the city actually average barely 400mm a year due to a rainshadow from the Otway ranges. The only southern coastal region drier than that is the Nullarbour plain.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
bloody hell, that is miserable!!!! So far this "crappy" winter we've had like 15 days with measurable rain!

In a typial summer month we usually see 2-5 raindays with a total of about 15-20mm, but this can vary alot depending on where you are in Melbourne as they usually come in heavy showers so its a hit or miss. ALso, most of the rain comes from the north in summer but there is a ring of hills stretching from the coast to the north of the city so showers tend to cark it as they encounter this. The grassy plains to the west of the city actually average barely 400mm a year due to a rainshadow from the Otway ranges. The only southern coastal region drier than that is the Nullarbour plain.
So you average 2-5 days with each storm dumping 15-20 mm? Or 15-20 mm for the whole month?

For Toronto, less than 40-50 mm in a summer month is a drought, probably.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:53 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,588,288 times
So far it has been ruined by lack of rain and to much high humidity.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:21 AM

32 posts, read 82,661 times
"Summer" here in the Netherlands. Despite global warming, this July is cooler than average. Tomorrow's high is expected to be a bone-chilling 60°F. Sunny, dry periods are very rare in the country where I live (climate is comparable with that in London, UK).

Old 07-20-2008, 05:51 AM

574 posts, read 1,307,508 times
rain has NEVER spoilt the summer here...we get very little rain in summer and if it rains it comes in the form of thunderstorms. I havent heard anyone complain when it has rained in summer here. In january we had the grand total of 0mm lol.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausweatherman View Post
rain has NEVER spoilt the summer here...we get very little rain in summer and if it rains it comes in the form of thunderstorms. I havent heard anyone complain when it has rained in summer here. In january we had the grand total of 0mm lol.
I actually like SOME rain in summer,
but when it rains three-quarters of the days that I'm not working, it becomes very annoying.

Does it ever get "miserably rainy" anytime of year, like maybe winter in Perth?

I think our average is 150-something days with measureable precip, but some years we probably get over 200. And this is typically light rain, rather than quick, short storms and our annual average precip of 800 mm spread over 150 days probably explain why.

*Another rainy weekend...
Actually both Saturday AND Sunday are wet this time, rain on Monday as well but we should get another dry period between Tuesday and Thursday.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:42 AM

209 posts, read 658,425 times
ya in southwest michigan we are getting almost too much rain as mold and moss is starting to develop on everything because the longest we have went without rain is 5 days. our summer has been quite cool compared to the last 5 years. we have only had 1 90 degree day this year when we average like 12 or 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather