Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:17 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,467,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
The tropics are warmer overall, but subtropical regions can be hotter in the summer.
I think any place that's humid can't get super-hot temperatures, even at the equator. Clouds often block the sun while moisture on the ground helps cool the surface (not unlike sweat cooling the skin). Tropical places are almost always moist (except maybe in some rain shadow areas), so the temperatures top out at around 100F (heat indexes are another story).

Subtropical places (20-35 latitude) are often dry deserts - the Sahara, most of Middle East, northern Mexico and southwestern US, Namibia, Australian Outback. With nothing to block the sun or to cool the ground, temperatures can easily go into triple digits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
The equator does lack superhot temps. It tends to be in the 30-35C range all year there for daily highs.

It must be the humidity that stops the temps from going crazy.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 12,492 times
Default .....

I would say somewhere in southern california and southern spain...sevilla in spain has winter over 15+..I visited sevilla in winter 2 years ago and most days where sunny and 16-17+ almost every day...average temp is 18 there...

Old 07-03-2009, 08:46 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What about the "Never-Never" (Katherine or Daly Waters NT) or NW QLD? (Mount Isa, Cloncurry, Normanton)
I know the averages are spot on to what you want,
but do they get your "5 days of 45 C?"
While I'd enjoy all those climates, they still fall short in comparison to the Kimberelys. Best chance for regular 45C temps occurs in the Pilbara and Gascoyne region in Western Australia.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM

3,257 posts, read 922,518 times
Costa Rica

Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,204,402 times
Cal-i-ah-for-ni-ah...as Arnold would say

Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Default Central America with Altitude

I've done a long research on Weatherunderground.com/Trip Planner using the two extreme two-week periods of Jan. and July to try and find that perfect place to retire. And if I'm going to go through all that work of moving somewhere it had better be as perfect as perfect can be. Perfect: not a reason in the world to ever own a heater or air-conditioner.

California/Northern Baja? Have spent many a chilly night in winter in those areas. No way!

Northern Chile? Well, their climate is very, very close to Southern California.
I would expect some cold dry winter nights, given there's little humidity to soften the blows.

Quito? Yeah! I considered it until I saw night time temp's potentially falling as low as the high 20's and 30's in winter. At 9500 feet up, 15 miles from the equator, yes, it's surprising. Bogota, Colombia wouldn't be much better at 8600 feet up.

My choice would be Tegucigalpa, Honduras or Guatamala city/Antigua. But Tegucigalpa would be Number 1 only because it's lower in altitude (3300 feet) than Guatamala City (5000 feet). Or points in between. Coastal areas of Central America: No, no way! Then I'd need A/C!

Guatamala City/Antigua is just a little too high up for my year round comfort level. Was there last November and now I'm not at all surprised to see people walking around there at night with leather coats. Add in a strong breeze and we're looking at discomfort.

For those that say they couldn't live without their 4 seasons and how boring it would get, well, if I got bored there with the lack of changes, there are airplanes to take you to the snow or falling leaves anytime of the year.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,964,174 times
Thompson, Manitoba. 240 days of below freezing nights a year, 80 inches of snow, consistent snow cover from mid-October through the beginning of May, several below -40 days, up to 4-5 months straight of below freezing weather, record low of -62, what's not to like?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:00 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Thompson, Manitoba. 240 days of below freezing nights a year, 80 inches of snow, consistent snow cover from mid-October through the beginning of May, several below -40 days, up to 4-5 months straight of below freezing weather, record low of -62, what's not to like?
I've been to Thompson. It's ok but there is not much around there. Churchill, Manitoba I think is much better for cold weather lovers. 255 days below freezing with 133 days below 0F (-17C). I was in Churchill at the beginning of May and the temp was about 10-15F most days with constant snow cover. Hudson Bay was still frozen solid. In addition, there are lots of cool things to see in Churchill. You've got lots of polar bears that come by in October/November and in the short cool summer season (2 months), you've got the beluga wales that come and swim in the estuary of the Churchill river and it's also a good place to go bird watching and dog sledding (I did that when I was there too in May!).

Old 10-30-2010, 09:54 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,038 times
It depends what one thinks as best, but I would say San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather