Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 AM

19 posts, read 47,966 times

Advertisements

If there is snow, it would be great if it was under 10 inches a year. Is there a site that lists information to include: "MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE" ??? I would like something that does not get over 85 degrees. And some snow is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,396 times
Do you mean average maximum? Or you want a place that never exceeds 85F?

As for sites, there is weather.com - just go to any city and click "averages". Weatherbase.com is also a good site. MSN weather is another easy to use site, just pick a location and scroll down to monthly averages (you can hover your mouse over them or click). Sometimes the numbers differ between all the different sites and you don't know which is right.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Asheville, North Carolina. Not as hot or humid as other places in the South due to the higher elevation. They get about 15 inches of snow per year.

Other than that, all I can think of is coastal Southern California.

On your original post, you said maybe 90 in July. If you meant average high below 90, then some more places will open up as possibilities.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:30 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Outside of AUS is fine?

Canberra, the Australia's capital, does seem to fit your bill. It snows very little though (not much accumulation though).

Old 03-30-2014, 02:57 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Outside of AUS is fine?

Canberra, the Australia's capital, does seem to fit your bill. It snows very little though (not much accumulation though).
It actually snows in Australia?!?! I though Australia was a Sub Tropical Climate in Zone, so this really comes as a major surprise to me, but I can imagine that it usually isn't much snow and doesn't stick around for long. By the way, isn't it the case that no part of Australia is below or colder than the US equivalent of Plant Hardiness Zone 9 or 10.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:08 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
It actually snows in Australia?!?! I though Australia was a Sub Tropical Climate in Zone, so this really comes as a major surprise to me, but I can imagine that it usually isn't much snow and doesn't stick around for long. By the way, isn't it the case that no part of Australia is below or colder than the US equivalent of Plant Hardiness Zone 9 or 10.
Indeed it does. Now the snow may not settle on the coast or even the low-laying inland areas, it does however accumulate on the higher elevated places (more higher than Canberra). So it does 'stick around' in some areas actually - Mostly in mountainous regions - places above 1000m altitude (aka, the Snowy Mountains). Now in Canberra the snow mostly melts when it reaches the ground, but on the hilly outskirts it does accumulate for some time.

I've made a climate poll on one of these snowy Aussie places and somebody else made a thread on them which lingered here for some time (thought you'd already seen them by now?). But anyway, check out these places in mainland Australia that are subpolar borderline:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perish...Resort#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlo..._Wales#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thredb..._Wales#Climate

Snow also occurs in the oceanic Blue Mountains region (they get warmer temps than the above places though) - the BMs are 80kms west of Sydney. An inland, highly elevated town in NSW called Orange also gets snow - it's known to be one of the only cities in Australia to receive snow, with accumulating snowfalls. Lithgow is another place that gets settling snow in the winter.

Last edited by Ethereal; 03-30-2014 at 06:19 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 07:53 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malex227 View Post
...and temperature does not get over 85, (maybe close to 90 in July), and very little snow fall?

Maybe you could also provide how I can search this as I have racked my brains on the internet.
Thanks so much!!!
San Diego,CA that's where my son and I are planning to move! Most comfortable/Best climate on the planet!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 AM

242 posts, read 262,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
It snows in the alps, mostly above 800-1000m. Even there, seasons are unreliable with some years recording little snow and others being blockbuster. We do have ski resorts, but all of them are above about 1400m and yes they do get snow, but the amount of snow year to year varies, with some years being borderline while others being considered as excellent.

That being said, snow in Australia at sea level is extremely rare. Even in Tasmania. If it flurries in Hobart or Canberra (600m ASL), that is front page news. Even the highest point in the Melbourne area, Mt Dandenong at 600m, only gets flurries or at best a light dusting on a small handful of days in an average winter.

I've lived in the SE suburbs of Melbourne at 60m ASL for 24 years now, and have never seen a single snowflake here.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:56 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,293 times
I can think of coastal southern CA, though some beaches (Long Beach, Seal Beach, etc) average mid 80s in summer so can easily surpass 90F, never snows though. San Diego Beaches are your best bet, though no snow either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather