Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 06:44 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
True, but I think it's a tragedy that 72 F passes for summer in many northern locations, including southern Ontario.
Same thing with South Florida winter "cool-snaps" in the mid-60's F; we can see highs that chilly even in July.

Some of the mornings were "a little cold" in South Florida, and that wasn't even their coldest mornings of the year.
The key difference is that when I've seen cold/cool-snaps in Florida winters is there usually isn't much wind,
whereas "calmness" is quite rare in southern Ontario.

My main point was not a comparison between "Northern Summer" and "South Florida Winter"...
but "South Florida Winter" vs. a "Purely-Tropical Climate" that normally sees no cool winter days.

I really don't know if I'd ever miss seeing highs in the 60's F,
but I believe South Florida gets enough days in the 60's F for me to remember and enjoy them.
(if I had to guess, I probably have no interest in seeing more than 30 days under 70 F, annually. )
…then my friend…I think there is only area of the USA mianland for you...the southern half of Florida (lol).

In fact, you got me curious, so I checked to see. You would really be surprised how “few” days the high is under 70 F in south Florida in Dec/Jan/Feb. For instance, take a stretch of 4 winters. Here are the number of times according to the National Weather Service Office in Miami that the daily high failed to reach 70 F (or higher) in Ft. Lauderdale: National Weather Service Climate

Dec 2008 - 1
Jan 2009 - 4
Feb 2009 – 3

Dec 2007 - 1
Jan 2008 - 2
Feb 2008 – 1

Dec 2006 - 1
Jan 2007 - 1
Feb 2007 – 4

Dec 2005 - 4
Jan 2006 - 4
Feb 2006 – 3

It shocked me too. On average…only about 2 to 4 days a month have a day that fails to hit 70 F or higher. In fact, in half of those 12 winter months…only 1 or 2 days each month failed to hit 70 F or better. In all of the last 12 winter months at Ft. Lauderdale… the average daily high was closer to 80 F than to 70 F.

South Florida is truly the land of endless summer on the US mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
…then my friend…I think there is only area of the USA mianland for you...the southern half of Florida (lol).

In fact, you got me curious, so I checked to see. You would really be surprised how “few” days the high is under 70 F in south Florida in Dec/Jan/Feb. For instance, take a stretch of 4 winters. Here are the number of times according to the National Weather Service Office in Miami that the daily high failed to reach 70 F (or higher) in Ft. Lauderdale: National Weather Service Climate

Dec 2008 - 1
Jan 2009 - 4
Feb 2009 – 3

Dec 2007 - 1
Jan 2008 - 2
Feb 2008 – 1

Dec 2006 - 1
Jan 2007 - 1
Feb 2007 – 4

Dec 2005 - 4
Jan 2006 - 4
Feb 2006 – 3

It shocked me too. On average…only about 2 to 4 days a month have a day that fails to hit 70 F or higher. In fact, in half of those 12 winter months…only 1 or 2 days each month failed to hit 70 F or better. In all of the last 12 winter months at Ft. Lauderdale… the average daily high was closer to 80 F than to 70 F.

South Florida is truly the land of endless summer on the US mainland.
Thanks for those links.
Based on your info, you confirmed my suspicions that much of central Florida would probably also be agreeable. (< 30 days under 70 F)

Ah, spoken like a true northerner, lol.
To me, daytime highs under 75 F don't feel like summer at all.
South Florida winter to me is more like "Latest-Spring" since it rarely hits 85 F,
and as a Fort Lauderdale native pointed out, they normally get at least 10 lows below 50 F in their winter.
(equivalent to latest-May or early-September in Toronto)

Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 PM

228 posts, read 474,586 times
We will be soon enough.

But not just because of the weather, but it does play a major part in our decision to move.
Southern Mississippi lacks real seasonal changes...and with my children getting older, I would like for them to see what real Autumn and Winters are like. This past Christmas....we were all wearing shorts and running around barefoot! I know someone can relate on how difficult it is to get in the holiday spirit when you are Sweating To Death! Ick!!!! This will be the last year we will have that to worry about...Yay! =o)

Old 10-14-2009, 05:01 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
When I eventually move, it will most definitely be largely due to the weather. Weather won't be the only reason, but it will be the main reason. Of course, I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever really get to move...

Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 PM

228 posts, read 474,586 times
Ohhh...it's in the mid 80's still...at 12:43 am...middle of the night.

Where I want to be right now...it's 24 ° ! I am sooo jealous!

I want to be somewhere cool...drink hot coffee or cocoa and wrap a blanket around me while reading....NOT sweat to death typing on a computer...and yes my AC is on. It's just so warm and humid! eeeew!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnwin View Post

I want to be somewhere cool...drink hot coffee or cocoa and wrap a blanket around me while reading....NOT sweat to death typing on a computer...and yes my AC is on. It's just so warm and humid! eeeew!
Where is it that you want to be? I'll trade you.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,416,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnwin View Post

I feel the same way! If you go outside here literally over 5 min, you will be soaked in sweat. I walked my dogs, not even far, yest morning around 9AM, and when I came in 20 mins later, my eyelids were sweating, my shirt was completely soaked. It's just miserable when you have to live for months(May-Oct) with temps mostly in the upper 80s thru upper 90s with 80% humidity. Everybody up North thinks it sounds great but it isn't what you think. We are trapped inside just as much except it's cause of the heat, not the cold. What you all up North would probably like would be temps found in say the Carolinas thru North Florida, you get a tiny bit of seasonal change but nothing compared to NE or the Midwest, plus, you get a lot of days 70+ degrees without the consistent 90 + with 85 % humidity. I remember I was in NE(upper NH) in December and the snow was waist high. I was in Raleigh, NC a few mo. later when it unexpectedly began to snow, it was a light dusting, that's a huge difference.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
I love the heat myself....as long as I keep hydrated (lots of water with me) then I'm happier than a clam... Last year I went to Hong Kong at the end of June and went hiking on the local trails. I was out for most of the day with the temperature around 90F with 70-80% humidity.. sure I was hot and sweaty.. but I loved it....it was such a wonderful feeling.... wish I could feel that way all the time...

Old 10-16-2009, 01:18 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I love the heat myself....as long as I keep hydrated (lots of water with me) then I'm happier than a clam... Last year I went to Hong Kong at the end of June and went hiking on the local trails. I was out for most of the day with the temperature around 90F with 70-80% humidity.. sure I was hot and sweaty.. but I loved it....it was such a wonderful feeling.... wish I could feel that way all the time...
It really is a personal preference. I'm 100% like you…I love the heat and the humidity has little effect on me. I have been in Southeast Asia and the Caribbean a few times, and loved the heat and sultry weather. The wet tropics are the craddle of life. Trails in the lowland humid tropics are choked with vegetation and animal life is teeming. When you’re in the humid tropics the rainfall and green crush the environment…life is moving at 1000 mph under the burning sun.

On the other hand…what is a gray, freezing cold day in South Dakota, Michigan, or New Hampshire…when the trees and plants are leafless and bare, most animal life is gone, and the landscape is barren and bleak in the silence of the howling winds…. it’s a day of death.

… there are no resorts in the Arctic (lol).

Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Alaska, Norway and Iceland are relatively popular travel destinations.
There are major winter resorts in Colorado, Utah, British Columbia and (somewhat smaller resorts in) Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather