Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:42 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times

Advertisements

I have a " love/hate" feeling towards El Nino

We had a very mild winter ( 1987/1988) and I loved it . They said it was due to El Nino.

That summer ( 1988) we had a very hot summer with the most devasting drought in my lifetime. ( continuation of El Nino)

I hated it and suffered a huge ( $$$$) loss

central Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 PM

14,329 posts, read 14,629,286 times
The summer and drought of 1988 was memorable. I remember my dad driving to Iowa to see my sister and BIL and all he could talk about was the heat, dryness, fields, even golf courses.

He was shocked as it wasn't as obvious to him in Illinois as it was in NE Iowa and he was never one to talk about or really care about weather and effects. Me I look at the big picture and consequences.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:45 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I have a " love/hate" feeling towards El Nino

We had a very mild winter ( 1987/1988) and I loved it . They said it was due to El Nino.

That summer ( 1988) we had a very hot summer with the most devasting drought in my lifetime. ( continuation of El Nino)

I hated it and suffered a huge ( $$$$) loss

central Minnesota
I remember the extreme heat & drought of 1988 in the central US. I heard that it started in 1986 and didn't really subside until about 1990 or so ... but 1988 was the worst year of all in terms of drought. Was that really caused by El Niño, though? I don't recall 1988 being an El Niño year.

In terms of El Niño's effects, I remember hearing that the floods during the summer of 1993 in the Midwest were the result of El Niño. That winter (1992-1993) was especially wet here in Arizona, but our summer monsoon was almost non existent in 1993 due to the SW windflow carrying the excess moisture to the central US.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:58 PM

28 posts, read 45,273 times
Quote:
Even with a degree in meteorology, the odds that you will be one of the very few who appear on tv is very,very, slim.

I always thought an interesting rate in the Navy was Aerographers Mate.
( the way they described it , it sure sounded like a Navy meteorologist.)
Navy Aerographers Mate is a Navy Meteorologist

I was in the NAVY and pursued that job but it was overmanned, meaning too many people had the job at that time.

That is a easy way to get to meteorology without going to college.
You would pretty much be doing on the job training.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
El Nino-type weather conditions have yet to materialize in the US...
Don't be confused here. El Nino-type weather conditions occur in the Pacific Ocean and this condition is immediately observable. This water temperature pattern in turn influences weather around the planet in somewhat unpredictable ways. So the El Nino-type weather conditions are always influencing our weather, but those conditions would not appear here.
"and some people believe in global warming, too"

Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
<>It's not only their forecasts~it's their records that amaze me. I can see the temp on TWC and it may say "60". The following day I can go to their site and they'll say that 55 was our high the previous day. OR I can read something in the paper that says we broke a record high or record low and that it was "zero" in 1930. THEN I can go to weather.com and it will say our record low was 10 in 1950.
It happens often and it just boggles my mind. It tells me that since they can't keep the past accurate, I shouldn't make bets on their forecasts.
They cheat the data reporting; many of the instrument sites are bogus. That is why you should not believe predictions of global warming - the concerns are based on biased data.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Even with a degree in meteorology, the odds that you will be one of the very few who appear on tv is very,very, slim.
I've noticed that many of those who appear on TV are very, very slim.

And pretty, too.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
First test of this season's El Niño: December has brought below normal temperatures and below normal precipitation to much of the SW. One major storm swept through during the middle part of the month, and another weaker one before Christmas ... but the precipiation totals tended to be generally light to moderate (with only sporadic amounts of heavy precip) with both systems. A typical El Niño would have given us more than just two Pacific storm systems, as well as above normal precipitation & milder temperatures by December. The forecast for the next seven days for southern CA & the SW: sun, sun, and more sun.

This is the first indication that this El Niño is weaker and/or less influential than the so called experts have predicted. There have been some El Niño winter seasons in the past when the heavier precipitation held off until February & March. At this point, that seems to be the only hope we have for the rest of this winter. However, I have a strong feeling that this El Niño is going to be yet another bust like the last one in 2006-2007 was.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,588,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
First test of this season's El Niño: December has brought below normal temperatures and below normal precipitation to much of the SW. One major storm swept through during the middle part of the month, and another weaker one before Christmas ... but the precipiation totals tended to be generally light to moderate (with only sporadic amounts of heavy precip) with both systems. A typical El Niño would have given us more than just two Pacific storm systems, as well as above normal precipitation & milder temperatures by December. The forecast for the next seven days for southern CA & the SW: sun, sun, and more sun.

This is the first indication that this El Niño is weaker and/or less influential than the so called experts have predicted. There have been some El Niño winter seasons in the past when the heavier precipitation held off until February & March. At this point, that seems to be the only hope we have for the rest of this winter. However, I have a strong feeling that this El Niño is going to be yet another bust like the last one in 2006-2007 was.
I hope so. Because of EL Nino NOAA has predicted that here in the Ohio Valley will have a dry winter and worse of all, the US Drought Monitor says that a drought is likely to develop over central and southern Ohio. That means we may get cheated from having any real good snowstorms. Also, I absolutely cannot stand long periods of dry sunny weather with little or no precip and plus I start to feel not so well.. Also, I cannot move somewhere else because I may not like the weather. My husband's job has us tied to this area so going elsewhere is out of the question. I hope NOAA and the drought monitor are wrong.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 AM

14,329 posts, read 14,629,286 times
People always ask why I stay in the midwest after retiring and I always say I don't mind the weather in the midwest! It is a little more complicated than that because of the way I feel.

I have sinus issues, an allergist told me stick with what you know. I asked him if moving to another place would help, he said where, the moon??? I recently went to Iowa, even though it is winter, I had issues, headaches, runny nose, sneezing the whole time, as soon as I got back to Wisconsin, I was fine. The difference is the humidity, I cannot take dry air or extreme heat because I don't sweat as much as I should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather