Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:01 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,577 times

Advertisements

If you want a moderate climate, you must be downwind of an ocean. It's basic physics: water takes a very long time to heat up and cool down. However, there also tends to be a lot of clouds and rain downwind of an ocean, for obvious reasons...think Seattle. The key is to be downwind of an ocean, but also in the "subrtopical high" belt which exists between about 25 to 35 degrees north or south of the equator. The subtropical highs tend to suppress clouds and rainfall. Southern CA is in this zone, which is why the coastal areas have both sunny weather and moderate temps, as well as extremely expensive real-estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,803 times
Southern California, certain parts of Hawaii, and certain parts of southeast Florida are VERY temperate. However, you have to consider what else you're getting along with that.

Southern California: VERY prone to earthquakes, wildfires (been reading the news lately?), and floods. I don't see why people pay that much to live in Southern California when they get lots of weather disasters which could wipe out their expensive houses anyway.

Hawaii: Can get floods, but my parents once visited and said that even the July weather was amazing. However, certain areas (such as Hilo) get TONS of rain, which makes their even-keeled temperatures less attractive. Also, people who move from the mainland to Hawaii usually complain about how everything is outrageously expensive, how the Hawaiian natives don't really like them coming in, and also how there is only so much to see and do when you live on a small island.

Southeastern Florida: The relatively tame summer temperatures are offset by oppressive humidity and hurricanes. Why do people move to an area which is expensive, humid, and likely to be obliterated by a hurricane?

If you don't want any of that, look at Texas. I did... my wife and I are planning to move there. If you hit the right area, your January average high is 60 and your July average high is in the low-to-mid-90s... with reasonable humidity, practically no snow, and low risk of disastrous weather like tornadoes.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,302 times
Tornadoes in Texas !!!
ALL CALIFORNIA COAST hands down

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
NWPA, what area of Texas are you moving to? It seems that the majority of tornadoes are in the northern area of the state.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 39,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
If you don't want any of that, look at Texas. I did... my wife and I are planning to move there. If you hit the right area, your January average high is 60 and your July average high is in the low-to-mid-90s... with reasonable humidity, practically no snow, and low risk of disastrous weather like tornadoes.

NWPAguy, What part of Texas has the best moderate climate? What is the "right area?"

Old 05-16-2008, 04:10 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Albuquerque New Mexico has a wonderful climate--although it will go over 80 in the summer. Air is clean, generally dry. Not nearly the rat race that Southern Mexifornia is!!
How can someone in NEW MEXICO call SoCal "Southern Mexifornia"? New Mexico, along with being one of the poorest states, is also the most hispanic. You have "MEXICO" in the name for god's sake....

Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
Any place in the Hawaii Islands kick the butt of anywhere in San Diego
Most people prefer 60's and 70's year round rather than 80's constantly, for which SD is better for. Don't get me wrong, I love Hawaii's weather but it doesn't cool down and summers can hit 90 a lot in Honolulu, which is hot even with the trade winds. You need AC in Hawaii, not in coastal SD.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:29 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,430 times
I love San Diego for many reasons but it is not warm enough - I have spent many a day there feeling quite chilly - esp at night. 60's is not warm.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
I love San Diego for many reasons but it is not warm enough - I have spent many a day there feeling quite chilly - esp at night. 60's is not warm.
Doesn't Buckeye and all of AZ get pretty chilly at night in winter? I've seen the Phoenix area get frost and freeze warnings and even snow in the past.

Also this thread is about a "temperate" climate, which is not a warm one. 60's is temperate.

But I do somewhat agree, I wish nights in SD were a little warmer, but it's better than the rest of CA at night except for the desert. I couldn't stand how in the Bay Area it would be 95 during the day and 50 at night.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 AM

81 posts, read 285,223 times
Check it out:
Weather Variety - Least Variety

The California coast definitely has the "least variety" of weather, according to this report, which generally corresponds to most temperate or most pleasant. Also could be interpreted as most boring, but I don't think so; I just classify the seasons of California different: fog, heat, fire, and winter storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather