Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,013,241 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Montana. For over 20 years I lived in an area that had 8 months of winter, 1 month of spring, 1 month of fall, and a short 2 months of summer. In February of 1989, I was 16 years old, throwing a paper route. The temp was -40 °F with a light north breeze putting the wind chill at about -65 °F. My dad was going to take me on the route in the car, but the car was froze up (despite the engine block heater). So, I layered up, and ran about a 1 mile Sunday morning route in about 20 minutes. When I got back home, I had icicles hanging off of my eyelashes, and a couple of areas with 1st degree frostbite. It was so cold, you could LITERALLY spit outside, and it would be ice before it hit the ground!

After going through that, I vowed that I would be moving South, wayyyy South, to escape this miserable cold. Hence, I moved to N. Texas in 1995, where I stayed until mid March of this year. Even there, it got too cold in the winters (this, given the average high in January in the low 50's with an average low in the upper 20's). So, now I am in South Texas, 6 minutes from downtown Corpus Christi, along the coast, where it is soooo much milder. Wichita Falls, where I moved from earlier this year, has already had a couple nights below 20 °F, snow, windchills around 0 °F. Not here though!

Although this area does experience on average 3-4 freezes a year, I will not miss the cold of up north. I am so much happier here, its like a night and day difference. The cold is highly overrated, and yes, I know you can always dress up to the cold, and you can only dress down so much for the heat, but I will take the heat over the cold. Any day.

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:12 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,187,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Lets all think no single digits in January, oh, ok, maybe that is a stretch!!!
No problem, our typical "lowest" high temperature for a year is about 15-18 I would guess a high in the single digits happens once every decade, maybe two...

Old 12-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
No problem, our typical "lowest" high temperature for a year is about 15-18 I would guess a high in the single digits happens once every decade, maybe two...
Here in Portland, TX. our "lowest" high temperature on a typical year would be around 45 degrees.

When I lived in Wichita Falls, TX. the lowest high temp would be in the mid to upper 20's. Don't miss that at all! Where I lived in Montana as a kid, we didn't have a winter where the high temperature wasn't at LEAST -5 to -10 degrees on a couple of occasions!

Ian

Old 12-18-2009, 06:23 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times
We are leaving SW Florida tonight at 2 AM for Long Island; Nassau County where the blizzard is expected. Other than that very long drive in bad weather conditions, I am definitely looking forward to a nice cold, snowy NY Christmas. 80s for Chistmas in Florida just doesn't cut it.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
We are leaving SW Florida tonight at 2 AM for Long Island; Nassau County where the blizzard is expected. Other than that very long drive in bad weather conditions, I am definitely looking forward to a nice cold, snowy NY Christmas. 80s for Chistmas in Florida just doesn't cut it.
I don't envy you one bit. After years of dealing with that kind of weather up north in Montana, I am finally now in my happy place!

Take care, and drive safe.

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather