Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 AM

366 posts, read 297,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Lil, you're definitely not crazy for wanting a different climate even though it's the reverse of what I would like. We've just learned that "four seasons" means different things to different people so be cautious that you don't move too far north.

Trust me, our windchill is 25 below this morning and it's not pleasant at all. AND it's still late autumn and the worst is yet to come.
I like four seasons, but that is just too dang cold. I could probably never live much North of the Texas border, lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 AM

7,336 posts, read 2,744,446 times
We had the wind yesterday....sustained winds at 65 mph with gusts to 75, BUT our temps are back to normal - 70 yesterday.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Listening to the local news here in South Florida, I find out that while most of the U.S. is experiencing a Blizzard, we in S. Fla. are experiencing record highs with temps in the upper 80s, close to 90°. I know you will think I'm crazy but I wish I were up North, Blizzard and all. I hate the monotony in southern Florida, the temps are the same in July and December, there's never any variety. I truly cherish those rare nights and very rare days when the temps actually drop below 60°. Do you think I'm crazy because I long to move up North and experience a true Winter, Fall, and Spring? Frankly, I've had enough of South Florida's eternal Summer.
Give *north* Florida a try.
We do get some seasonal changes. We get freezes, too.
It was warm yesterday, about 80°. That front just sort of blew in, literally.
But it was fleeting, and it will be in the high 50's today, 60's tomorrow, low 70's by Sunday. High 60's are the daytime norm for this time of year, 45 is the night-time low.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,417,212 times
Thanks guys, I actually think I have SAD but in reverse, lol. In all seriousness, this constant monotonous heat really depresses me and truly makes me miserable, especially as I get older. Because of a severe injury, I've been stuck down here. This is why I tell ppl who really can't stand where they live, to cut their losses and move before you get stuck due to circumstances beyond your control. That's what happened to my family, they moved here from the upper-Midwest and didn't plan to stay but a death, a divorce, and an illness kept them here, then I came along. It's been thirty plus yrs and we are finally escaping in the next yr. I am so sick of heat that I'm only looking at really cold climates to relocate to after leaving So. Florida. For 15yrs now, I've dreamed of moving to Alaska but NO one will support me much less go with me so it looks like either the upper Midwest, Colorado, or New England. The move mostly depends on the availability of jobs, ect, before the climate. Being that they are all colder climates though I figure I got that part covered, lol.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM

9 posts, read 24,521 times
I have lived in eastern Maine my entire life(almost 40)and I love Maine, it's my roots, but I would love to be in SF warm sunshine. I am planning a move this spring to Florida with my husband and two boys, I'm nervous as ever it is a tremendous move for our family---any suggestions as to a family friendly town? Have looked at Palm Bay, and Palm Coast would love any input. Good luck to all who are looking to change their current living places

Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
I wish we would have a blizzard.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:24 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,238,691 times
I agree. I have relatives in northern Florida (Gainesville and Jacksonville) and I know it can get cold there... even the panhandle can get really cold in the colder rural areas. I know that the Crestview airport can get really cold on calm clear nights.

My mom has a friend in West Palm and they have been enjoying really warm weather there... 80s and 90s. I know she is ready for some cool air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Give *north* Florida a try.
We do get some seasonal changes. We get freezes, too.
It was warm yesterday, about 80°. That front just sort of blew in, literally.
But it was fleeting, and it will be in the high 50's today, 60's tomorrow, low 70's by Sunday. High 60's are the daytime norm for this time of year, 45 is the night-time low.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
No you're not crazy. I find the summers in New Jersey long enough as it is! (and its "only" about three months, yet it feels much longer)

The fresh air during the fall and winter is hard to beat, and while it can get uncomfortable sometimes during the winter, I'd rather deal with single digit wind chills than the monotony of South Florida weather (although admittedly, Florida does sound nice when February rolls around). And the snow is just wonderful to watch.

Good luck with your move! And hopefully some cool air will make its way down to South Florida this winter!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,670,035 times
I never knew there really was such a thing as Summer (Reverse) SAD until someone on this site suggested I research it. I KNOW I have it. Even as a child, I dreaded sun and heat in NY summers. Moving to SW Florida was really the WORST thing I could have done in my life. I lived in Gainesville a long time ago for 6 months and moved bsack north because I couldn't take the warm weather. It was NOTHING like it is here. Yes, we have had record heat; 90s until October and still mid 80s. UGH. Thankfully, I can, and do, go back to LI several times a year in the FALL and WINTER, UNTIL such time as I can move back. This is just plain no way to live when you dread going outside TWELVE MONTHS a year. The longer I am here, the less tolerance I have to heat (70s feel HOT to me now), and the more tolerance I have for cold (sitting outside in the dark and 50s in shorts sleeves and capris).

Lil, there was a poster a few years ago on the Florida forum who wanted "cold and snow" and moved from Naples to New Hampshire. We ALL told her that was a mistake, even those of us from the North who like cold. It was too drastic a change and she hated it. I don't know where you want to move, but please put off moving to Northern Maine. lol Try someplace like NC, Tn., or Va. where you will have 4 seasons, cold, and some snow, but certainly not -25 degree windchills or 40 inches of snow.

Good luck with your move. I cannot wait to go back, permanently.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
Endless summer sounds perfect for me... if I had 90F every day of the year... I'd be perpetually happy and in paradise... too bad that here in Canada the climates range from somewhat unpleasant to absolutely abysmal. I wish I could live in the US and pick whatever climate I wanted (US has every climate type in the world) and I would definitely pick South Florida or Hawaii....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather