Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Sunshine hours:
Kunming: 2198 (about same as Mel uhh I mean somewhat more than Toronto )
Beijing: 2780 (slightly more than NYC)

Not sure how to measure air quality though.
Toronto averages 2038
Canadian Climate Normals 1971-2000 | Canada's National Climate Archive
(towards the bottom of the page, under "Bright Sunshine Hours")

*You're right, somewhat more than Toronto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 05:49 AM

One thing that amazed me about the stats of southeast Asia is that going down the coast in China,
it gets progressively cloudier to where even parts of Vietnam are cloudier than Hong Kong.
I wasn't expecting more cloud than Hong Kong, without high altitude making "cloud-forests"

Old 05-16-2010, 11:10 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
I used to live in Shenzhen just north of Hong Kong for a year and I can attest first hand how cloudy it is there. Although, I was never sure how much was smog and how much was cloud as they seemed to blend together in a kind of haze many days. Aside from the pollution, I think another reason why Southern China is cloudier is because it is much more mountainous overall than the southern US and the mountains seem to trap the clouds.

Last edited by deneb78; 05-16-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
To me Eurasia climatically works like North America , save it's bigger so this largeness cause some different patterns , actually we should consider Japan as the coast of Eurasia , since the Chinese sea is not that deep to work as the Atlantic Ocean works for America.
The deep water of North Atlantic cause NorthEast US to get more rain/snow if compared to NorthEast China and Inner China is way drier , especially in winter , than NorthEast US so a much more correct comparison would be for me:
China=Eastern US (leaving out the coast)
US East Coast=Japan

in fact nothern prairies are in winter damn cold and dry just like Northern China and if it weren't for the Great Lakes they would have been even drier and cold.
While the coast from the Carolinas to Maine look very similar to Japan , humid all year around , lot of snow/rain (accordingly to the latitude) , cold to mild winters , mild to hot summers.
That makes sense. St. Louis has similar weather averages to Bejing, except that's it's a few degrees warmer (but St. Louis is a bit further south) and with much wetter winters.

I've noticed that the Northeast Coast of the US has similar weather to Northern Italy. For examples, Milan's and New York City's averages are rather similar.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,811 times
I noticed that NYC has almost exact same temperatures as Qingdao (formerly known as Tsingtao). NYC is about 4 degrees farther north though. Precipitation pattern is of course different. But sunshine hours aren't that far off - NYC has slightly more.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,272 times
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Jinan, China

Any similar places in the eastern US?

Last edited by Candle; 05-17-2010 at 12:11 AM..

Old 05-17-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Jinan, China

Any similar places in the eastern US?
Except for the very-warm avg summer lows, West Virginia comes to mind.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Hmm. I was thinking Washington DC. But that's probably about the same as West Virginia.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
I think Washington's winters are too warm for it to be like Washington. I think it's more like Trenton, NJ or Philadelphia, PA with slightly hotter summers.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I noticed that NYC has almost exact same temperatures as Qingdao (formerly known as Tsingtao). NYC is about 4 degrees farther north though. Precipitation pattern is of course different. But sunshine hours aren't that far off - NYC has slightly more.
I just thought I would make a note of something funny:

I don’t know how many people have noticed it…but there seems to be a ton of homes, business, zoos, parks…ect on the middle East Coast from Virginia to Rhode Island that have bamboo growing (including the Tri-State area). What is so funny… is that when someone sees a towering 50-foot bamboo grove in suburban Maryland or Long Island, NY the first question they ask “how can that grow here”?When you tell them the East Coast has a very similar climate to East China/Japan…they look at you like your crazy lol.

Perceptions can be funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather