Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:48 AM

181 posts, read 445,105 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...so good news last week! My now fiance said yes! Now we're trying to look at a few venues and get a sense of what our budget should be. We would like to get married sometime middle of next year, but budget-wise, it doesn't seem like we're there, so not so good news. We're not looking to include any extras and have even found a few vendors willing to work deals with us.

My fiance's family is essentially lower class but they offered to pay about 3000, even 4000 on everything (could include invitations, vendors, etc. - not just restricted to the venue itself). To me I think that's excellent and if my parents can match that, I would feel a lot less stressed about this wedding and budgeting.

But I have a hunch that my parents won't pay much of anything and while I can appreciate that for many families, the bride and groom are paying for 95% of everything, it's not quite the case with my family. Both my brother and my sister had very expensive weddings and I'm pretty sure they covered a big part of the bill there, though I'm not 100% sure. I asked my mom if they can give us an idea of guests they want to include and the list is a mere fraction of who was invited to my siblings' weddings.

The underlying reason for all of this that my family does not like my fiance that much - not enough to say "We don't like her so call off the wedding!!", but not much. They adore my now sister in-law so that's probably why they could've paid a lot for my brother's wedding. And my parents wouldn't skimp on their daughter's wedding.

So that's where we are. I can go into further details, but the fact of the matter is, previous experience and observations should not rule out that my parents can/should help fund some of this, but until I get a sense of what they can contribute, I think we're in limbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 06:18 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Is this the GF who didn't brush her teeth for 3 weeks and didn't care when your baby niece was born etc.?

If so, I kind of understand where your parents are coming from.

There is a tactful way to do it, but it's really a matter of being ready to deal with the answer.

FWIW, You don't "get a sense of what your budget should be" by looking at venues you want.

Your budget is the amount you have, and you adjust your selections based on that.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:30 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

FWIW, You don't "get a sense of what your budget should be" by looking at venues you want.

Your budget is the amount you have, and you adjust your selections based on that.
Exactly what ran through my mind.

The OP is already planning a wedding he cannot afford!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
My now fiance said yes! Now we're trying to look at a few venues and get a sense of what our budget should be.
You probably shouldn't be getting married if you can't afford the wedding on your own. It's nice if a parent offers, but it's tacky of you to assume or even ask that they will fund it.

Besides, shouldn't you be concentrating on saving money for that monstrous ticket you're going to be paying?

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...5-sunrise.html

Old 11-02-2015, 07:06 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Is this the GF who didn't brush her teeth for 3 weeks and didn't care when your baby niece was born etc.?

There is a tactful way to do it, but it's really a matter of being ready to deal with the answer.

OMG... is this him???

OP...tell your parents you're planning a wedding. And that's it. Don't ask for anything. Maybe they'll offer. If they don't, work with what you have. Seriously, dude, you've got some maturing to do.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
What are you expecting to contribute yourselves?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:54 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Have the wedding you can afford.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:

After skimming a few of your recent threads I think that you should wait a few years until both of you are more mature. An added benefit will be that you can save up enough money to pay for your own wedding.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:57 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Quote:

I wouldn't waste much money on this wedding, if I were you. Just do the minimum and have a nice family gathering after the deed is done.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:43 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Exactly what ran through my mind.

The OP is already planning a wedding he cannot afford!
I agree...

My wife and I decided to get married out of college. Neither of us had much... we are both from less than modest families. We told them they didn't need to help but they did in their own ways. So with a bit of creative thinking we did it in our very small budget (a bit of my savings). Married off season for negotiation leverage with venues. We also searched local college campuses for aspiring group string quartet and photographer for their time, good tip, a chance to practice, and invite to the reception. We also put our honeymoon on hold. Everything else was either hand made or rented.

We didn't want to start life together spending huge sums on money on something that really in the grand scheme of things.. is not that important. We both went into the wedding assuming that if things didn't fit in our limited cash saved for it, we would simply get married at townhall and have a good dinner with family.

Disputes over money and incompatible financial goals is a leading cause of divorce... best get that all figured out before actually getting married.

We rarely ask family for help... they have their own lives to fund... The times they did step forward was for times in "real" need.. medical primarily. I don't think they could have helped if we squandered their cash on a wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings