Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 PM

301 posts, read 1,435,792 times

Advertisements

I received a card in the mail today from our (buyer) agent's brokerage... basically, it is asking for a review of our agent's performance. Heh. Some of you may be familiar with the perils we had in working with our buyer's agent on our recent first home purchase... and you know that I've been looking for exactly this kind of opportunity. *rubs hands together*

However, I don't want to come across as bitter or harsh (even though I feel that way, to some extent), and I do want to honestly help her see the myriad of mistakes she made so that she can become a better agent in the future. I am just not sure how to go about writing this review... it's such a small space for writing so much, and I and this woman do have mutual friends and I'd like to make sure that things stay professional between us. Any recommendations?

I assume she will know that it is me writing it, because there can only be so few transactions she has been involved in during a set time... so it won't be "anonymous," which is too bad since it would have helped me be totally upfront about everything. I also don't want to hear back from her in "defense" of my review... does that ever happen? I just want to say my piece and be done with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I suggest you write your thoughts out on a piece of paper from start to finish. They step back and sit it for a couple of days. Then re-read it and edit. Have a couple of good friends, who don't know her, read it and see what they think about the tone of it.

I would just write in the small space "see attached" and attach the letter.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
I agree with Silverfall. Write and then set it aside for your review before sending it off.

It's not likely that you and the agent will remain professional friends but then you really aren't now, are you? Would you / do you refer clients to her? I'm thinking you don't. Does she send business to you? If not, there really isn't much of a professional relationship there anyway.

I assume you don't want to get into a "fight" or a messy back & forth debate - so don't enter one. Yes, she might fire back a letter in her own defense. If she does, it will be your challenge not to respond. As long as your comments are constructive and devoid of emotion they should not need to be restated.

To omit emotion can be easier said than done. Be sure to avoid comments like - "we felt...", "it bothered me...". As an example - rather than saying, "I felt she wasn't listening to my suggestion." or "She didn't listen to me." - try - "It would have be helpful if she had responded to my suggestion." In this example - you "felt" she wasn't listening, but maybe she was or you state as fact "she didn't listen" - this is all emotion - maybe she did listen, she heard you - & her defense might be she thought your suggestion was not useful. However by saying, it would have been helpful if she had responded is a very different & less emotional point.
... Just some thoughts. Hope it helps.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
What is your objective here? You won't use her again? Do you really care about her future in the business? I find venting might be good initially, but comes back to haunt you down the road.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I always make sure my buyers know there is a crisp $100 bill waiting for them when they send in a good survey.

If your agent didn't mention my approach, go with the advice above by putting into a word doc then give it a day or 2 to see if it says what you want it to say.

Good criticism might make her a better agent.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Just give your honest opinion of how you think she did. If you aren't going to do that, might as well not fill it in.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
This is always a tough one. I have received several phone call complaints about one of my agents, where all of the clients made the same comment. Obviously this gives some weight to the complaints, and I'm glad to hear them. I've had to take over to keep their transactions on schedule.

I'm sure most managing brokers would appreciate your feedback. If you don't feel like filling out a form, call the broker up and let him know what your issues are. I'd much rather get the feedback than wander around in the desert thinking everything is fine.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 AM

301 posts, read 1,435,792 times
Silverfall, I'll take your advice and do exactly that.

Thanks to all for your responses. I feel every professional ought to be reviewed by their customers and peers on a regular basis, so I won't not do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate