Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times

Advertisements

The more and more I look at bridal pictures and flowers, different things about weddings the more I think of how much I miss my parents. I am really sad that I will not be able to share in this with them.

Of course I was married once before, and my mother was at that wedding, my father had already passed.

This time is just different. I can tell it already, I am going to have a hard time with this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
I hear ya!
It IS hard when parents are not around for milestone events.

(((Pikantari)))

Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
You can honor your parents at your wedding, through programs, or lighting a candle or laying a flower on the altar, or at a photo of your parents on an easel. If you let everyone know why you are doing it, every one there can remember, too.

It's not the same, I know. Daddy died two years before my wedding. I held on to the thought he knew I was going to marry the man I was seeing when he died (and we hadn't been engaged at that time.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:38 PM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I've been to weddings where the priest or minister made mention of honoring those loved ones who had passed away. It was nice. I also make a point to wear jewelry that belonged to my mother and grandmother, and my mother in law. It feels as if I am taking a part of them to the occasion.
I don't think I would place photos of dead relatives, even though I loved them, at a wedding. It seems a bit morbid for a festive occasion.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:00 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've been to weddings where the priest or minister made mention of honoring those loved ones who had passed away. It was nice. I also make a point to wear jewelry that belonged to my mother and grandmother, and my mother in law. It feels as if I am taking a part of them to the occasion.

I don't think I would place photos of dead relatives, even though I loved them, at a wedding. It seems a bit morbid for a festive occasion.

I agree. With weddings I've been to, there have often been single roses at the altar in memory of love ones who have passed, but not photographs. It's not a wake.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:29 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, good. I thought it was me.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
*hugs*. I can imagine how hard this is and I would feel sad knowing my parents weren't there. Right before my brother got married one of my grandmothers passed away (and the other refused to attend)and that was a void. My parents are both living as is a grandfather but I often wonder which of them will be around when I marry and it saddens me, though luckily all are healthy.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
yeah that is very sad.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:15 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
My mother passed when I was in high school, which was 13 years before my wedding; yet I certainly still felt the loss of her not physically being there. But I had all of my family there, many of whom recounted wonderful stories of my parents wedding, which made me feel like she was certainly there supporting me.

Personally, I feel the loss more on the random "bad" days; just when you want someone to talk to.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,624 times
My mother passed a few years ago and I am sad that she won't be here for my wedding. She never got to meet my fiance, never meeting the in laws. It feels like there is a hole there, since I know that she would've loved what is going on in my life.

I will honor her in someway, and know that she would've wanted to be there for me. When my sister got married, we did a toast at dinner with apple martinis, my mom's favorite drink, in her honor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings