Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 04:20 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I like lab stones, but my ring is a conflict-free diamond. I just prefer diamonds in general for engagement rings, but that's me. Prefer quality over size. Mine's a 1.48 carat D color, VVS1.
With a round brilliant cut diamond, I’ve never understood spending the money on that level of color and clarity. On your finger from 12”, it’s impossible to tell the difference between an SI1 and VVS1. You need a loop to magnify enough to see the carbon deposits in an SI1. Unless you put the stone side by side matching color, you’re not going to see any yellow in a stone in that 1 1/4 carat to 1 1/2 carat size up through an I or J. Your stone is probably ~$13,000. I could drop in a $6,000 ideal cut stone, tell you it’s D & VVS1 and nobody but a jeweler would notice the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 06:52 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Once you’ve been together awhile, you can always look for a special token to reflect your relationship. A sensible engagement ring can be the beginning, not the ultimate destination.

We didn’t get expensive rings when we married. I work with my hands so it didn’t make sense. This year he wants me to choose anything I want. I’m looking for an alternative stone in a piece of estate jewelry. There’s a lot out there and I’m enjoying educating myself.

I have a Pinterest page for what inspires me so we can talk about them.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:28 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
With a round brilliant cut diamond, I’ve never understood spending the money on that level of color and clarity. On your finger from 12”, it’s impossible to tell the difference between an SI1 and VVS1. You need a loop to magnify enough to see the carbon deposits in an SI1.

It's not impossible to see a difference...specially if it isn't eye clean & many SI1 clarity diamonds aren't. AND....it totally depends on the type of occlusion like cloud, wisp, cavity, feather or crystal......because it can have an effect on the sparkle just like the cut of the diamond will & how light hits it. It's all about the sparkle. AND..where the occlusion is will make a super big difference....like if it's under the table & what type of occlusion....so how light reflects it. AND different types of flaws can also affect the durability & stability of the diamond when it's cut. So...IMO..you have to be super careful....specially for a larger solitaire AND even more for an emerald cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings