Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No "Thank you" note for wedding and future gifts
Yes, I'd overlook the lack of thank yous and get a gift 15 34.88%
No, I would not give money or give a gift 28 65.12%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:17 PM

530 posts, read 666,924 times

Advertisements

If someone does not have the decency to thank another for a gift, perhaps they don't want it or appreciate it. In that case, find someone else to be the recipient of your generosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 601 times
I'm in the same predictament. No thank you received for graduation gift. Now a few years later getting invitation to bridal shower. Think I'll just send a card and no $$ and no gift. Seems harsh, but hopefully they figure out that thanking someone for a gift is not something that ever goes out of style.

Old 11-12-2022, 11:21 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Was it a gift or the ticket to an event?
Yeah, sure it's nice to be thanked, but I think the DEMAND, the absolute expectation that we've been taught we MUST receive a written acknowledgement is IMO just as bad. A gift is supposed to be something given from the heart, not the price of admission.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:54 PM

1,112 posts, read 883,532 times
You don’t have to acknowledge a gift…I don’t have to give a gift .

Old 11-27-2022, 06:08 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I’d say, if you are invited to a baby shower, you should bring a gift. If not, don’t.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:29 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
Instead of a gift, send a card - it's like leaving a nickel tip. "yeah, I know what I am doing - what are YOU gonna do about it?"

I'm not a stickler on TY notes, but it is nice to get SOME kind of thank you - text message, FB message, whatever. Right now I am dealing with GK's who are all under 18 so I cut them some slack. Adults should know better.

If you go to the shower, maybe a very small gift. A bib.

Old 01-03-2023, 01:51 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Was it a gift or the ticket to an event?
Yeah, sure it's nice to be thanked, but I think the DEMAND, the absolute expectation that we've been taught we MUST receive a written acknowledgement is IMO just as bad. A gift is supposed to be something given from the heart, not the price of admission.
I sent each of my six nieces and nephews (all teenagers) $100 gift cards for Christmas. Haven't heard a sound from any of them. Do I expect a written letter sent in the mail? No way; I haven't seen one of those in years. But do I expect a quick text just saying "thanks"? Yup, I do.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:49 AM

552 posts, read 344,252 times
Writing a Thank you note needs to be taught at a young age. The 20’s something isn’t going to know to write a Thank you note or even say Thank you if this wasn’t taught early on.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:37 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie4530 View Post
I gave my niece $100 as a wedding gift over a year ago, and I have not received a thank you note. I didn't even receive a verbal thank you. I checked with her mother (my sis) and she said she just didn't send them out, to anyone. I also gave her a $50 college graduation gift the previous month, and again, nothing.

Niece is now pregnant. If it were you, would you get a baby gift (or any subsequent gifts in the future)?

I would give a baby gift. Gifts are given because you want to, but some ppl sound like they wouldn’t give a gift out of punishment. I wouldn’t like it if I didn’t get a thank you or a text, but it wouldn’t stop me from giving gifts in the future. IMO, it seems like a super silly thing to hold a grudge about.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:53 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
I agree. Give the baby gift. However, if I really want to know what's up, I ask the person directly and not a relative. How they speak to me at the point could be used for future decisions on gift giving. So far, everyone I have ever asked if they received my gift has been very polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings