Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times

Advertisements

Here's a story causing quite a stir near Toronto.

Have your say about the wedding gift firestorm

I wouldn't have given this as a wedding gift, but as the recipient, I could've easily made use of it, sometimes even moreso than as vase or a picture that isn't our style.

My view is that a gift is a gift, it's not something you're entitled to, nor do you get to dictate what form it comes in. An invite to a wedding is simply that, it's not an event that requires an admission ticket. I also believe that you always thank a person for a gift, no matter what you really think of it. That's what good manners dictates, not the cost and type of gift to be dictated by the recipient. Since when did a wedding become a fundraiser to fleece your family and friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
I just saw that! I think the guest started on the high road and then got a little nasty, but when I read this reply from one of the brides:

Quote:
Weddings are to make money for your future..
My eyes bugged out of my head. Seriously. Asking for a receipt for a gift and then demanding money? Super, super tacky. Technically a wedding gift is supposed to be something to help the couple start their lives together, but even then, an gift isn't mandatory.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Rudest couple ever... and I think that was a nice, thoughtful gift.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,191 times
Wow, that is awesome!!

I had my own private negative thoughts about a couple of my wedding gifts. My MIL wanted to invite many more people to the wedding than I wished(at my parents' expense), and my thoughts about the gifts in part tied into that. I would have never shared them with anyone though.

I would never dreamed of asking for a receipt. While I think the guest should have kept this out of the public eye, the bride as made a fool of herself in a way that people won't be quick to forget.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Wow, that is awesome!!

I had my own private negative thoughts about a couple of my wedding gifts. My MIL wanted to invite many more people to the wedding than I wished(at my parents' expense), and my thoughts about the gifts in part tied into that. I would have never shared them with anyone though.

I would never dreamed of asking for a receipt. While I think the guest should have kept this out of the public eye, the bride as made a fool of herself in a way that people won't be quick to forget.

I agree. Tacky, rude bride.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
The newlyweds were extremely rude. They reek of entitlement.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
I think the newlyweds are wrong. True story but several years ago I was invited to the wedding of family friends. They met for the first time at my dad's 50th and got married almost 10 years later (the long delay was for many reasons). Anyway for their wedding I gave some money but in addition I also made them CDs. I got a call from them telling me they loved my CDs and kept playing them. I have made CDs for various events. I would have been hurt if they were rude (but they aren't that type). When my brother got married they got a lot of gifts and weren't upset.Yes a few were inappropriate but that happens.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:33 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
Rude bride for sure! If you expect your guests to give you enough cash to cover the cost of the wedding, then you need to rethink having a wedding. You have a wedding to celebrate your marriage with friends and family, not to get gifts. Even if that guy did give them a basket with Jolly Ranchers, it's incredibly rude to express distaste for wedding gifts!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
I did enjoy the good laugh when I read the part about "weddings meant to make money for the future" or whatever it was exactly that she wrote. Both brides/grooms are selfish, ungrateful idiots, if I were John I would probably go and get my gift basket back. Amazing how one of them is gluten intolerant but managed to scarf down regular pasta paid for with a gift card then asked for a discount on top of that. Those two appear to be something else and it does not smell good at all.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
I read the article. The bride was rude. Say Thank you....regardless of how you feel, period.
I didn't like that the guest/gift giver entered into a text "war" I think I would have not responded beyond the initial reply on father's day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings