Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,176,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Lets say you already got them a present off the registry for the bridal shower... would you get them another gift for the wedding? Or just money (and if so, how much)?
Bridal shower gifts should typically be less substantial than wedding gifts, so unless the couple had some small stuff on the registry, I wouldn't get them a registry gift for a shower. I'd get them something small & appropriate to the shower theme.

However, if I did get them a small registry gift, for a wedding gift I would probably select something larger off the registry or another larger gift of my choosing.

I would NOT give money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Why wouldn't you feel thusly inclined to use the registry? So instead of giving a gift that the couple wants or needs, you would give them a different gift that also has to be used on a certain day, a day that they may have already made plans.
Maybe there's nothing on it that I can afford. Maybe I only buy from socially responsible companies. Maybe I just hate everything on the registry. There is no obligation to buy from a registry.

And OF COURSE I wouldn't give them tickets to a specific day/time event. You do realize you can purchase gift certificates at box offices, right? Or a mini-pack of season tickets?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,901,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
Well I disagree that that should make the giver feel bad. It is a statement of fact. If they don't know you can't eat it, on a future occasion they might offer you something which you also can't eat and it will be a waste of their money. It's quite over sensitive to consider it rude to inform people you have a condition that means you can't eat it. There is a way to let somebody know the truth without being rude, and you can still be thankful to them, no problem. I just think honesty is the best policy. It could be just a culture thing as you say then, because at least over here we tend to be more upfront about these things and people don't get offended by it or not in my experience. People are quite self deprecating in England anyway.
Well you can inform at a separate time, apart from the thank you or any discussion of the gift.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
IMO, that is still pretty rude. Maybe it's because I'm Southern, but even if you can't eat it, just smile and say thank you. No need to make the gift giver feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I remember being taught that from a very young age. My mother always told me to say thank you, because it was nice of someone to buy me a gift. It was never appropriate to tell the giver that you didn't like it, or if you already had one of what they bought, because no one had to buy me anything.
Yup! Agreed.

I've received food gifts before that I couldn't or wouldn't eat, but I never complained to the giver about it. In some instances I re-gifted the items or gave them away to friends/family, in others I donated the items to a local food pantry. No need to be sniffy or rude about it, just say "thank you"!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,901,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Maybe there's nothing on it that I can afford. Maybe I only buy from socially responsible companies. Maybe I just hate everything on the registry. There is no obligation to buy from a registry.

And OF COURSE I wouldn't give them tickets to a specific day/time event. You do realize you can purchase gift certificates at box offices, right? Or a mini-pack of season tickets?
Agree with this. Sometime by the time you get to the registry, there are only very expensive items left. I usually give money or do the registry, but I don't feel obligated to do so.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,074,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Agree with this. Sometime by the time you get to the registry, there are only very expensive items left. I usually give money or do the registry, but I don't feel obligated to do so.
I tend to lean toward the registry, simply because I don't have a lot of money to spare, and I know if it's on their registry, they want it. However, a registry is a suggestion list, not a demand list, and nowadays many forget that you don't get to dictate what someone gives you.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I tend to lean toward the registry, simply because I don't have a lot of money to spare, and I know if it's on their registry, they want it. However, a registry is a suggestion list, not a demand list, and nowadays many forget that you don't get to dictate what someone gives you.
THIS.

If I ever got married again I doubt I'd register, since I already have all the towels, dishes, flatware, pots, pans, etc. that I need. In fact I have more than I need. For many couples getting married, their registry items are not necessities but upgrades.

While money would be nice, I would never have the chutzpah to ask for it. I think I would say something like "In lieu of gifts please consider donating to one of the following charities close to my heart" or something like that.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,713,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
If I have already given the couple a gift at the shower, I generally send a card to the home right before the wedding but I do not give an additional gift.
No, a gift for shower and wedding is appropriate.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,315,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
I have coeliac disease and simply can't eat gluten as it will poison me so I agree with the bride here, but they were rude, I would not have been as rude and would have said "it was a very nice gesture to buy this but I cannot eat it sorry".
However -- the brides had an engagement party at a pasta place where one of them works, and they were both chowing down on pastas and breads.... pretty much showed the one's gluten intolerance was a big fat lie.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,569,881 times
Disgusting brides...and some disgusting attitudes in here, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings