Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,903,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm just glad none of you will be invited to my wedding because it is the height of rudeness not to give anything to the bride and groom.Sending the gift or money to the home is fine but not giving a gift tells me that person doesn't care enough to give a gift. I bet most of you are the same people who show up empty handed at birthday parties too. I would never think of showing up without a gift of some sort.
You are having a wedding...did taco man pop the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,919,032 times
Not yet but we'll see.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,728,924 times
Ok then... for anyone (everyone)...

If you were going to a wedding by yourself, how much money would you give? This was the first wedding I had ever been to, so I'm familiar with what's common.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,399,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post

If you were going to a wedding by yourself, how much money would you give? This was the first wedding I had ever been to, so I'm familiar with what's common.
I don't give money at weddings. I buy a gift from the couple's registry. I usually spend no more than $50 on said gift.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,903,302 times
Quote:

It would depend on my financial status and how close I was to the couple. If I'm close to the couple about $100. If I am not as close maybe $25-$50.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,181,551 times
Quote:

I don't give money either. I usually choose something off the registry. I prefer to give something that is not ephemeral. Sometimes, if there is no registry or I just don't feel thusly inclined or the couple truly has everything, I give an "experiential" gift such as tickets to a sporting event or show or something like that.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:11 PM

382 posts, read 724,013 times
Yikes! I think the brides were completely rude, but thankfully I'm not friends with people who would be so venal and petty.

I gave a gift of some nice dishware with a gift receipt at the last wedding I attended, but I noticed there wasn't a pile of gifts on the table --- perhaps folks closer to the couple gave cash?

On a related note, I find that the relative wealth of North America makes some people unappreciative of what they have. It seems that it's "the thought that counts" only counts with some people if you're giving an Ipad or some other expensive gadget. I used to live in Europe, and for birthdays, for example, people would get socks, a tie, a book --- just something small and useful. And weddings there were about celebrating the life of the couple, hospitality, dancing, sharing a meal, etc.

What a pity that some people only view their "guests" as sources of income.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM

22,720 posts, read 47,943,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post

I gave a gift of some nice dishware with a gift receipt at the last wedding I attended, but I noticed there wasn't a pile of gifts on the table --- perhaps folks closer to the couple gave cash?

Or...
they did the proper thing of NOT bringing their gifts to the reception itself.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,728,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't give money at weddings. I buy a gift from the couple's registry. I usually spend no more than $50 on said gift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
It would depend on my financial status and how close I was to the couple. If I'm close to the couple about $100. If I am not as close maybe $25-$50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I don't give money either. I usually choose something off the registry. I prefer to give something that is not ephemeral. Sometimes, if there is no registry or I just don't feel thusly inclined or the couple truly has everything, I give an "experiential" gift such as tickets to a sporting event or show or something like that.

Lets say you already got them a present off the registry for the bridal shower... would you get them another gift for the wedding? Or just money (and if so, how much)?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 PM

8,311 posts, read 8,721,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
if there is no registry or I just don't feel thusly inclined or the couple truly has everything, I give an "experiential" gift such as tickets to a sporting event or show or something like that.

Why wouldn't you feel thusly inclined to use the registry? So instead of giving a gift that the couple wants or needs, you would give them a different gift that also has to be used on a certain day, a day that they may have already made plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings