Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 03:45 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times

Advertisements

Excuse the rant, but I can't exactly go on social media without offending several people.

Tennessee gets hot in the summer. Unbearably hot sometimes. The humidity is awful most of the time.

We just went to a close friend's wedding at the end of May. Outdoor wedding with a tent. The tent did nothing but get you out of the sun which made hardly a difference. Awful, I sat in the car in the a/c with my friend the vast majority of the time. I'm not trying to sound like a diva but I am very sensitive to heat. Who wants to go and sweat for 3 hours? Clothes you wear to a wedding aren't light and airy.

This weekend we have a wedding that's at some 12,000 square foot estate on the lake, yet the whole entire thing is outside and under a tent.

Frankly I'm not looking forward to it.

Do people not think, "It might be a tad uncomfortable for guests to have an outdoor wedding in the dead of summer in Tennessee?"

Seriously, I'm wondering.

I totally understand having the ceremony outside, and that's fine. I don't mind being uncomfortable for 15 minutes. But people don't want to sit outside for hours in the summer heat. Move the reception into air conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 03:50 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
I mean you could've just declined the invite if the heat was too much for you.

I was in my best friend's wedding last year and it was pretty stressful. But to top it all off, we had to stand in the hot sand in the hot sun during the ceremony. It wasn't long, but it wasn't the most pleasurable experience. There was no tent either. I'm not really a big fan of weddings myself. I don't mind being a guest, but being a part of them can be annoying to say the least.

But just a tip, the forum does have blog feature specifically for this kind of thing.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:09 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Excuse the rant, but I can't exactly go on social media without offending several people.

Tennessee gets hot in the summer. Unbearably hot sometimes. The humidity is awful most of the time.

We just went to a close friend's wedding at the end of May. Outdoor wedding with a tent. The tent did nothing but get you out of the sun which made hardly a difference. Awful, I sat in the car in the a/c with my friend the vast majority of the time. I'm not trying to sound like a diva but I am very sensitive to heat. Who wants to go and sweat for 3 hours? Clothes you wear to a wedding aren't light and airy.

This weekend we have a wedding that's at some 12,000 square foot estate on the lake, yet the whole entire thing is outside and under a tent.

Do people not think, "It might be a tad uncomfortable for guests to have an outdoor wedding in the dead of summer in Tennessee?"

I totally understand having the ceremony outside, and that's fine. I don't mind being uncomfortable for 15 minutes. But people don't want to sit outside for hours in the summer heat. Move the reception into air conditioning.

I understand your position....outdoors in spring or fall ok but not in summer in TN.

Wonder why they don't consider the heat and humidity? Odd.

Of course, they might really want a less formal wedding than say in a church...

Old 07-24-2018, 04:25 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I mean you could've just declined the invite if the heat was too much for you.

I was in my best friend's wedding last year and it was pretty stressful. But to top it all off, we had to stand in the hot sand in the hot sun during the ceremony. It wasn't long, but it wasn't the most pleasurable experience. There was no tent either. I'm not really a big fan of weddings myself. I don't mind being a guest, but being a part of them can be annoying to say the least.

But just a tip, the forum does have blog feature specifically for this kind of thing.

No, I love this person (and the last person). It's just, I didn't look forward to that wedding, didn't have a great time, and it's the exact same situation with the one I have coming up on Saturday. Normally we LOVE weddings.

With the upcoming one it's like, "Let's have this wedding on a 12,000sq foot estate on the lake but make everyone sweat like hogs outside." It's literally the middle of summer. There are worse places to be than TN I suppose, but the southeast in general is absolutely brutal this time of year.

I got married in court, did it the easy way. But if I did have a big wedding to plan, one of the FIRST things I'd think of is how hot or cold it will be outside and my guests' comfort.

That's just me. It just kills the excitement, not even particularly looking forward to it. Some people can be hot and that's fine, I'm definitely not one of those people.

Not only that, but what about peoples' health, too? I would never want someone elderly or with health conditions to be sitting outside for that long. I'm a little overweight and that exacerbates the problem, but what about people with actual health issues? My problem is just being uncomfortable. But it's not hazardous to my health or anything. But if it were my wedding I wouldn't want my 94 year old Grandmother sitting in that heat.

Last edited by Mister 7; 07-24-2018 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 06:34 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I understand your position....outdoors in spring or fall ok but not in summer in TN.

Wonder why they don't consider the heat and humidity? Odd.

Of course, they might really want a less formal wedding than say in a church...
Probably because they have some idealistic image in their mind about the event. The reality and the comfort of anyone attending just doesn't happen to be part of it.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:09 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Two and a half weeks ago I attended a very formal outdoor wedding in Chicago. The temp was in the low 90s and it was extremely humid. The wedding ceremony and reception were at the Adler Planetarium. A beautiful venue indeed, but the ceremony was held at 6:30 p.m. (still over 90 degrees), and all of the chairs were set up facing the sun! No canopy for shade. It was sweltering and we could not see the bride and groom because the sun was blinding. For an hour and a half after the ceremony there was a pre-dinner reception, also outdoors with no canopy. Drinks and hors d'oeuvres, standing outside in 90+ humid weather. Everyone was so relieved when we finally went indoors for the reception. It was an exquisite setting and fully air-conditioned.

I felt they should have moved the ceremony indoors when the weather forecast was for continued heat and humidity. Or, at the very least, have the sun at our backs instead of in our faces and set up a canopy for some shade!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Just because the reception is being held in a tent doesn't mean there won't be air conditioning. Units can be rented just like all the other necessary equipment.

I can understand those holding a wedding in May forgoing it and hoping for the best, weather-wise, but cooling is a must in the south between June and September. I've attended tented events in summer months. The temperature in the tent was quite comfortable, because they were indeed air conditioned.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:33 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post

I'm with you on this.

When ever we get invited to an outdoor wedding, I inwardly groan. Seems like there's ALWAYS something that's going to be unpleasant about it.

If the weather is perfect, there's not enough seating, or the weather is NOT perfect, and there's only enough room under the pavilion for immediate family, etc. etc. etc.

And at least in the outdoor weddings I've attended, it's usually for cost saving reasons, which usually means other cost saving measures were taken as well...and...it just all ends up being unpleasant.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:44 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
we went to an outside wedding last year, it was held at a winery. The weather was warm, but we do not get rhe humidity that TN gets. I think your couple, were too involved with their dream wedding, to even consider guest comforts.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:06 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Well one of my close friends had a wedding with a ceremony outside on an estate next to the Hudson River. It was in July and the temperatures were in high eighties. But the ceremony was in the shade, there was a bit of a breeze from Hudson so it was not bad. The ceremony was very moving in a very beautiful setting. It lasted for about 40 minutes. But also, when we received invitations it specifically said that everyone should dress business casual or equivalent. I wore just a nice shirt and light pants, my date wore light sleeveless dress.

The reception and dinner portion was inside in AC. But the problem was that now we all were freezing inside. Fortunately since we were the only party there they adjusted the thermostat to 75 degrees, I think.

Overall we had a great time at this wedding and we cherish the memories...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings