Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 06:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Ugh is right. This post belongs in Psychology.

I understand that you would have residual problems leftover from your parents' divorce, but this makes it sound like you are unable to function without seeing yourself as the center of their universe. Experience with a healthy romantic relationship could enable you to see this kind of wedding situation from a perspective other than your own.
Not even close. A healthy romantic relationship is immaterial to the discussion.

I have skipped all of my friends' weddings and my mother knows this. I had zero desire to attend and my presence there was completely unnecessary. The rest of her family skipped the event, so blaming me isn't accurate. She wasn't able to twist anyone else's arm in her family to attend. The logistics were done in the most self-centered manner possible. The amount of time it took to travel to the event was longer than the event itself, not to mention the financial cost and the emotional toll.

Without a doubt, this was excessive for a subsequent to a first marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
her daughter’s birthday was *very inconsiderate* IMO.
I'm a son, and it was hugely inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 01:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Did it cause a rift? I would take that personally if my family didn’t show up......or worse, his....it’s like they are saying they don’t support him...or you....or the marriage...
It can cause a rift, I was kind of offended. yes.

I'd always envisioned that if I ever got married, at the least, the parents would be there. It felt strange to me to get married if one has living parents but they don't show up for the wedding.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:09 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It can cause a rift, I was kind of offended. yes.

I'd always envisioned that if I ever got married, at the least, the parents would be there. It felt strange to me to get married if one has living parents but they don't show up for the wedding.

That would be hard....but if the man you married stuck by you....that’s the important thing.......

It helps if both families can meet long before the wedding!! Since I’m getting married for the 2nd time, it’s really important to me to have a good relationship with his family.....

Old 10-15-2022, 06:19 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
WOW there are some judgemental people around here!
And you're not?

Old 10-17-2022, 12:16 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think if someone has had an expensive, large first wedding, it's only in good taste to keep the 2nd or 3rd wedding less extravagant and toned down. I'm sure at some point guests going to the 3rd or 4th wedding of someone are all just rolling their eyes thinking "I wonder how long this one is going to last"? I know I most likely would turn down an invite to any wedding after the 2nd one.

And my biggest issue with weddings these days is SOME people put way too much emphasis on the wedding and everything being perfect and unique and they don't put enough into the actual marriage. I feel pre-marital counseling should be a requirement to get married, just like many other things in this country. Marriage is and should be sacred and not considered disposable unless they are very good reasons. But that is just MY opinion.
I know this is an old post, but just want to comment...

I am my husband's 4th wife. Our wedding was not a huge blow out, but considering my first wedding was at the county courthouse...it WAS more of a celebration/party/happy get together of family and friends. I wore off-white too.

And my husband's siblings and neices and nephews came, as well as MY parents, siblings, nieces and nephews. My husband's sisters even helped with the wedding. I am SO thankful that they came and helped us celebrate, and helped us. They could've easily have been of the opinion that since this was not the FIRST wedding of either of us, they didn't need to come, or would've rolled their eyes, or whatever...but they came.

And my husband's sisters treated me like a sister. They welcomed me into the family. Whatever their first thoughts were about me...they welcomed me. And for that, I was, and I am thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings