Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A bride took to Reddit to ask if she was wrong to send home guests who brought their children to the reception. (Credit: Getty)

Weddings are meant to be a time for celebrating a day of love with family and friends, but one bride was so left so annoyed with one couple on her big day that she decided to ask them to leave her reception altogether.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/brid...180850788.html
Children do not belong at wedding receptions. Period. Bravo to the bride. I would have done the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 05:37 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,306,234 times
I read the article and also have to side with the bride. She seemed to handle it diplomatically and the couple really went over the top by disregarding the bride's wishes.

Weddings are about the bride and this couple disrespected that.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM

1,065 posts, read 598,617 times
The groom and bride are probably young and couldn't see the forest for trees.

Basically, it reflected badly on the couple bringing their children to wedding (the nerve).

However, it reflected worse on the bride and groom for asking them to leave, instead of enjoying their wedding day.

Oh, wait, it wasn't their wedding day, just her big day. That explains a lot.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:09 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,606,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
The groom and bride are probably young and couldn't see the forest for trees.

Basically, it reflected badly on the couple bringing their children to wedding (the nerve).

However, it reflected worse on the bride and groom for asking them to leave, instead of enjoying their wedding day.

Oh, wait, it wasn't their wedding day, just her big day. That explains a lot.
They would have enjoyed their wedding day had the guests not brought their children and then made a scene when asked by the wedding planner to leave. The guests knew they were in the wrong but instead of quietly leaving, made such a scene that the bride had to intervene.

No, the guests made it their day by bringing their little darlings who are "well behaved" while other guests made other arrangements for their children. What would they have done if the infant had a crying episode or the toddler a temper tantrum, just smiled at the other guests?

I have been in high-end restaurants where couples bring their children -- food thrown on the floor; the child is fussy/crying due to bordom. The father even turned to us and said I guess you're sorry you have the table next to us. I have since refused to patronize these restaurants so I can understand how a couple paying +$100/plate would not want this at their wedding reception and nipped the situation in the bud. FYI - I have children and I look forward to going out to adults only parties.

Last edited by Maddie104; 12-31-2018 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 09:17 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think since the couple had prior warning and the other guests took time to make arrangements for their kids, the bride was completely in the right not to accommodate the couple. I’m a strong believer in not tolerating bad behavior.
I agree that the bride was in the right to conform/eject the couple. I am just questioning if on the practical level, the altercation was worth having. At an event that happens once in a lifetime (or so we hope). And I don't understand why she would tolerate the kids at a ceremony but not in a reception. Chances are, the kids would've not really bothered anyone at the reception although I agree that that is a horrible place for them to be. Especially for an infant...

Old 12-31-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I agree that the bride was in the right to conform/eject the couple. I am just questioning if on the practical level, the altercation was worth having. At an event that happens once in a lifetime (or so we hope). And I don't understand why she would tolerate the kids at a ceremony but not in a reception. Chances are, the kids would've not really bothered anyone at the reception although I agree that that is a horrible place for them to be. Especially for an infant...
The bride could not have foreseen that an altercation would occur as the guests could not foresee how the children would behave. When asked to leave by the wedding planner, the guests could have simply left as asked. it seems that the bride is being blamed for the boorish behavior of guests with no though to other guests. If I made arrangements for a babysitter, I would not want to be seated next to guests who brought an infant and toddler to an adults only affair.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:43 AM

1,065 posts, read 598,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
They would have enjoyed their wedding day had the guests not brought their children and then made a scene when asked by the wedding planner to leave. The guests knew they were in the wrong but instead of quietly leaving, made such a scene that the bride had to intervene.

No, the guests made it their day by bringing their little darlings who are "well behaved" while other guests made other arrangements for their children. What would they have done if the infant had a crying episode or the toddler a temper tantrum, just smiled at the other guests?

I have been in high-end restaurants where couples bring their children -- food thrown on the floor; the child is fussy/crying due to bordom. The father even turned to us and said I guess you're sorry you have the table next to us. I have since refused to patronize these restaurants so I can understand how a couple paying +$100/plate would not want this at their wedding reception and nipped the situation in the bud. FYI - I have children and I look forward to going out to adults only parties.
Guests thought bride was intervening on their behalf, that was the scene. Of course they were wrong and should have left. It just reflected worse on this silly couple by putting attention on these guests. A few more gotchas in their lifetime, they'll figure things out, though.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 AM

I kinda wonder how the invitations were worded.

There's a difference between "This is an Adults Only event" and "Adults only, please."

Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Guests thought bride was intervening on their behalf, that was the scene. Of course they were wrong and should have left. It just reflected worse on this silly couple by putting attention on these guests. A few more gotchas in their lifetime, they'll figure things out, though.
No. The guests argued with wedding planner and then with the groom. Bottom line, guests escalated situation instead of acknowledging they were in the wrong and left. They put the scene on themselves. Personally, I can't imagine arguing with a wedding planner and then the groom on their wedding day.

The bride asked her wedding planner to go over to the couple and ask them whether or not they had plans for their children to be picked up.

“I mean, everyone was drinking and loud and rowdy and a crying child and another little one running around was not part of the plan,” she said.

Within minutes, the bride could tell that the couple were arguing with the wedding planner, so she went over to try and defuse the situation.

“I think they thought I came to rescue them, because they started going on about how rude my event planner was,” she said. “I explained that I had actually sent him over to discuss the children. I reiterated that the event was child-free and said that I had stated so clearly on my invitations.”

The wife told the bride that they would make sure the children didn’t misbehave, to which she replied that that “wasn’t really the point.”

Then the bride’s husband came over and things between the groom and the other husband got “a little heated,” she wrote.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:05 AM

This has certainly gone viral. Google "bride kid-free" and see responses from as far away as New Zealand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings