Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextbigdave View Post

Couples are not honest from the start.
I don't believe this and find your sweeping condemnation of society difficult to abide.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 AM

13 posts, read 6,301 times
In a way marriage and way people handle marriage has changed. Please read the details I wrote. People have become more self centered and selfish. Plus more desperate among their peers that if they are not married they look bad because they are not in the club. And couples dont marry for true love. Lets say your spouse becomes medically ill and you need to care for him or her. That person will run away in a drop of a hat or if your spouse loses his or her job and it takes time to find a new job. Same stuff. People are too lazy to follow their vows they promise. Remember the sun doesnt always shine for everyone we all face challenges and married people only today want the easy way out.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But if you have that attitude before you even get married...than maybe you shouldn't be getting married.

No maybe about it! If you're planning for an exit, don't enter!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well in order to avoid planning for an exit. You better put your future significant other through a through field and stress test . Then you know where you stand. Simple as that

Old 01-09-2019, 04:43 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,875 times
Quote:
In a way marriage and way people handle marriage has changed. Please read the details I wrote. People have become more self centered and selfish. Plus more desperate among their peers that if they are not married they look bad because they are not in the club. And couples dont marry for true love. Lets say your spouse becomes medically ill and you need to care for him or her. That person will run away in a drop of a hat or if your spouse loses his or her job and it takes time to find a new job. Same stuff. People are too lazy to follow their vows they promise. Remember the sun doesnt always shine for everyone we all face challenges and married people only today want the easy way out.
Well that's a sweeping and incorrect generalization. With that level of cynicism, you are someone who should not be in a relationship.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Well that's a sweeping and incorrect generalization. With that level of cynicism, you are someone who should not be in a relationship.
Well this is not an incorrect generalization. Let's say and I dont know if you are married. Let's say your spouse was diagnosed with a serious medical condition that he or she is incapable of living a normal life. Would you sacrifice yourself with cutting back on financial costs and less leaving the house to be social to care for your souse???? Or if your spouse lost their job and it took them quite sometime to find a new job. Well would you take the risk and support your spouse??

Old 01-09-2019, 08:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Well in order to avoid planning for an exit. You better put your future significant other through a through field and stress test . Then you know where you stand. Simple as that

That's what being in a relationship for a number of years is.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:07 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,344 times
Lots of parents want to pay for the wedding for their daughter. It is as simple as that.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
If you have a job (which you should before you marry), I think it's ridiculous to ask your parents (or expect them or let them) to pay for your wedding.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:50 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,985,300 times
The couple should pay for their own wedding. If they're old enough to do grown-up things like get married and live on their own, they're old enough to either pay for their own wedding or figure out how to make it cheap. I would never ask my parents to pay one cent toward my wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But if you have that attitude before you even get married...than maybe you shouldn't be getting married.
If you can't admit that somewhere in the future, things may not be all storybook-happy and you may have conflicts to deal with... then maybe you shouldn't be getting married. Things happen. Circumstances come up, people change, people turn out to be nothing like you thought... and there isn't always a way to know ahead of time. MANY people have found this out the hard way. So being aware that those things can happen, rather than sticking your head in the sand because you want to believe you'll live happily ever after and refuse to entertain any thought that bad things could happen, is called being ready for any eventuality. I don't like to think whenever I get in my car that I could have an accident, but I put my seatbelt on anyway. I really hope my house doesn't burn down, but I have a plan on what I'll do if that smoke alarm goes off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're that person who doesn't listen to the safety briefing on the plane, aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.