Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 03:24 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Glad to hear you finally got to try some gowns on.

It’s not *finally* because there is plenty of time....all the way up to 4 to 5 months before the wedding. But...my family was in town earlier in the week for Thanksgiving....so....my mom & sister went with me to try on dresses. It’s never too early....& since they live far away.....

I’ll keep looking....but I know I really love the mermaid style.......& something “glam” & on the edge....like a couple dresses by Pronovias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 03:41 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Planning a wedding on a holiday is not fair to guests in my opinion. There are plenty of ways to have beautiful themed weddings not on a holiday. New years is still "christmas" holiday and people may be forced to pick between your wedding and a holiday tradition. My cousin is getting married December 21st, which me and most of my family would have to travel to attend. So the people traveling have to travel there on the 19th (pre wedding stuff on the 20th) and travel back on the 22nd. Travel is extremely expensive that close to christmas and is very disruptive to traditional visits the weekend before christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I agree with this.
This. X1000.

Not to mention people are exhausted and broke. Honestly, "do you" but most people hate weddings. Lol. I wouldn't go crazy, you'll regret all the money spent. And it's not attending a "free party", unless you don't expect any gifts and everyone lives within a mile.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:04 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post

Not to mention people are exhausted and broke. Honestly, "do you" but most people hate weddings. Lol. I wouldn't go crazy, you'll regret all the money spent. And it's not attending a "free party", unless you don't expect any gifts and everyone lives within a mile.

We don’t expect gifts........so it is a free party & celebration......& people are in the mood to go out that night of the year anyways. It fits perfectly IMO for glam & celebrating new beginnings like a wedding.....no better time. I’ve been reading lots of helpful ideas & tips for a NYE wedding on a couple of wedding websites.....& that’s how I 1st came up with the idea......

They don’t all live within a mile ofc....but the majority are in the BA except some friends & my family near Torrance & scattered about a little....

Old 11-29-2019, 09:15 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
re: holiday weddings

It's one thing for family members who would all be together anyone to attend a family wedding on a holiday. But you are asking non-family member guests to choose between you and their own families.

Plus I'm assuming you are planning a child-free wedding? If so, that's kind of an unfair choice to make parents make, to attend your wedding or to be with their kids on NYE, which most families like to enjoy together.

And fwiw, no, not everyone is psyched for a "free party" on NYE because lots of people prefer to be safely at home, not out on the road with drunken idiots.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I have started trying them on....you responded to some of my posts that said I did.....

There will be the 2021 gowns tho starting next spring through the summer....just like the 2020 equilibrium came out in August or September.....that would be enough time.....

But....if I find something I love....I don’t have to wait.....
Absolutely — especially if you’re stable in weight department. But after you find the perfect dress — stop looking!

Old 11-30-2019, 12:13 AM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
re: holiday weddings

It's one thing for family members who would all be together anyone to attend a family wedding on a holiday. But you are asking non-family member guests to choose between you and their own families.

Plus I'm assuming you are planning a child-free wedding? If so, that's kind of an unfair choice to make parents make, to attend your wedding or to be with their kids on NYE, which most families like to enjoy together.

And fwiw, no, not everyone is psyched for a "free party" on NYE because lots of people prefer to be safely at home, not out on the road with drunken idiots.
It's New Year's Eve - not Christmas (though I've been invited to weddings which are within a few days of it). There's a big difference in my book between New Year's Eve and a Christmas wedding - so much so that one can't group it together re: 'holiday weddings' as you indicated.

Most people I know plan a night out without kids on New Year's Eve anyway; they are able to 'kill two birds with one stone/babysitter' so to speak. Many stay in hotels as part of New Year's Eve parties/packages in the City as well - especially those without kids (or older kids). A New Year's Eve wedding makes sense, but I'm used to people living/celebrating New Year's in a large city, professionally and personally).

Old 11-30-2019, 11:21 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This, absolutely. It’s something to consider unless your entire guest list are extraordinary party-ers. I realize a person could rent a hotel room to avoid driving, but New Years Eve hotel rooms tend to be expensive. I would pass on the whole affair.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It's New Year's Eve - not Christmas (though I've been invited to weddings which are within a few days of it). There's a big difference in my book between New Year's Eve and a Christmas wedding - so much so that one can't group it together re: 'holiday weddings' as you indicated.

Most people I know plan a night out without kids on New Year's Eve anyway; they are able to 'kill two birds with one stone/babysitter' so to speak. Many stay in hotels as part of New Year's Eve parties/packages in the City as well - especially those without kids (or older kids). A New Year's Eve wedding makes sense, but I'm used to people living/celebrating New Year's in a large city, professionally and personally).
The plural of anecdote is not data. Just because you know people who leave their kids at home to go out to fancy NYE parties doesn't make it universal. I live in a family oriented, upper middle class neighborhood of a large city and the vast majority of people here have gatherings at their homes on NYE which include their kids.

The reality is that SOME people would prefer to spend NYE with their own family, not as a guest at someone else's wedding. I didn't say all, but it would be even more false to suggest that the answer is none.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:13 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Good grief. Getting married on NYE's is not the end of the world.

The only real disadvantage is for anyone needing a hotel room when prices tend to be overinflated at that time of year.

Have a great time, OP, with all who choose to join in your festivities.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:10 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Have you priced food for a party like this for 400 people? You're going to spend a big chunk of change for food and drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings