Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 6,272 times

Advertisements

But whatever the decision of the young couple about their wedding, you must respect it.
Maybe they have other priorities than spending a lot of money on the wedding. With the money for the wedding, they could go on a better vacation or buy a car.

A cheap wedding isn't always a bad wedding. You just have to do the best with the money you have.

Two months ago, my cousin got married and they had a beautiful wedding with no more than 30 guests.
They saved a lot of money by finding a cheap local restaurant, a cheap local wedding photographer in South Florida, a small band of musicians and that's it.

That wedding didn't cost a fortune but it still turned out great.

Last edited by RonieTV46; 07-14-2022 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 04:46 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I had the wedding I could afford. In attendance were our immediate families. After the ceremony we adjourned to a nearby restaurant for a wonderful dinner.

No bridesmaids; no best man; no tulle; no sparkles other than out beaming faces.

We sent out announcements later that week to our friends and broader family members. We were married for forty years, so I guess the amount of money spent on the wedding is not related to the length or happiness of the marriage.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:41 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Exactly. After watching the original interview with the bride, I gathered that the wedding guests were aware that there was to be no gratis reception after the ceremony (the bride stated that the guests were "on board" with the wedding plans).

As a guest, so long as I was made aware that there was to be no reception (or one in which I would be expected to foot the bill for my own meal and drinks), I wouldn't have a huge problem with it as I would be prepared by either remembering to put extra money/credit card in my party purse or eating before leaving for the wedding.

That being said, as a bride, I'd have rather had a simple buffet reception with punch, butter mints, mixed nuts, and cake (and a cookie table!) in the church basement than to have not offered my guests a meal or at least a light afternoon snack at all. No one's going to go into debt by choosing that route (after all, this was the standard reception for generations of working to middle class folks) but everyone ends up being fed and happy (except for the lushes who expect there to be alcohol served at a wedding reception, but that's another story entirely, lol...sigh).
In our neck of the woods, it was the Catholic weddings/receptions that served the booze. We referred to them as the fun ones. LOL

Me, being protestant, and a more Baptist bent, my peers had the wedding cake/punch/nuts/buttermints receptions. And at the end of the day, it was ALL happy. :-)

Now...don't get me wrong, I've been and participated in receptions where FAMILY provided food. I made 3 BIG aluminum tins of potato salad when my stepson and his wife got married. I was happy to do it for family.

However, I was NOT happy to "bring our own food" for an outdoor wedding/reception on a cold midwest March day, where we didn't even get wedding cake, and the bride and groom had the gall to write their gift/wish list ON the invitation.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:08 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
In our neck of the woods, it was the Catholic weddings/receptions that served the booze. We referred to them as the fun ones. LOL

Me, being protestant, and a more Baptist bent, my peers had the wedding cake/punch/nuts/buttermints receptions. And at the end of the day, it was ALL happy. :-)

Now...don't get me wrong, I've been and participated in receptions where FAMILY provided food. I made 3 BIG aluminum tins of potato salad when my stepson and his wife got married. I was happy to do it for family.

However, I was NOT happy to "bring our own food" for an outdoor wedding/reception on a cold midwest March day, where we didn't even get wedding cake, and the bride and groom had the gall to write their gift/wish list ON the invitation.
Come to think of it, the first time that I ever tasted wine was at at Catholic wedding.

I'd had sips of my dad's beer before and had tasted whiskey when using it to make the icing for apple butter cake before then, but wine just seemed to be more of a special occasion kind of thing to have. Granted, I was probably around ten, but being allowed to have a few sips of red wine made me feel so grown up. To date in my young life, that was the first "fancy" wedding that I'd ever attended with my parents as they usually went kids-free for most weddings. They always did bring home the favors, a napkin or two filled with nuts and butter mints, and a big hunk of wedding cake for the kids to share after going to a wedding, though.

Potluck weddings aren't unusual where I grew up and I've made my fair share of wedding cakes for friends here in Pittsburgh as my main gift to them, but I can't say that I've ever been to wedding where there wasn't even a slice of wedding cake and a cup of coffee drawn from a huge percolator to be had for the attendees.

Even the most bare-bones budget of weddings has at least sprung for a cake from the Walmart bakery or, in the case of one of my besties from high school, she and her groom made several Pyrex pans worth of different flavors of Duncan Hines mix cakes and decorated them to serve at their wedding. (Out-of-state wedding or I would have made the cake for them.) Eighteen years later and I still remember with great fondness the Tetris cake that my best friend decorated as well as the enticing scent of kielbasa and kraut wafting out from the reception hall as the wedding guests filtered in to be seated.

P.S. I have a hunch that you make fantastic potato salad and that it's requested that you bring it to pretty much every family gathering!

Old 08-09-2022, 03:58 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I DO make a really good potato salad. And meatloaf. I make a really good meatloaf. ;-P

Old 08-19-2022, 07:21 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I DO make a really good potato salad. And meatloaf. I make a really good meatloaf. ;-P
I love homemade meatloaf & potato salad, especially meatloaf sandwiches...yum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings